1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny Viera to NTL connection problem

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by davegtt, Jan 12, 2005.

1. davegtt

davegtt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys, bought a 37" viera, great TV esspecially when watching DVD's etc but NTL is really shoddy picture. misses is far from impressed. but it cant be the TV since the PQ on the DVD's are good. Sooooo I took the plunge and ordered online a Scart-Scart RGB cable costing £20. anyhow it arrived today and I connected it up - picture looks 10x better but 1 problem now is it seems its only a visual cable. no sound from it. sooo Im thinking not a prob I'll rig some RCA-RCA leads up to the telly but nope, NTL box only has the scart socket ont he back as an output.

anyone else have a similar prob? recommend any cables? misses is gonna kill me when she realises Ive wasted £20 on a cable thats no good.

2. fitguy

fitguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ok, you need a fully wired 21 pin scart - can you send the rgb one back and replace it??

3. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    NTL has 2RCA audio outs (white and red) just use them.

4. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Maplins sell a fully wired SCART cable with audio breakouts, maybe worth doing a forum search on 'Maplin'. The cable is between 10 & 15 quid as I recall. The original NTL digiboxes had stereo audio out via red & white phono sockets but subsequent models of digi STB lost this feature so NTL could save some pennies. :rolleyes:

Also don't forget to make sure that your STB is set to RGB & 16:9 video output and not composite or 4:3.

S.

5. davegtt

davegtt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yeah I have the newer NTL box without the audio out connections :(

had a look on the STB options and I couldnt find anything to set it to RGB output???? saw the setting to 16:9 though cause it was set to 4:3 much better but still unhappy with the PQ.

thing is I ordered this cable through work ;) so its a bit of a pain to send it back. gonna try but not too hopeful

6. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    If you look at the following screenshot, the bottom option (under 16:9, 4:3 option) is the one that sets either composite or RGB output. I'm afraid there is no other way of extracting audio out from the newer NTL STB's other than using a SCART cable with audio breakout :(

[​IMG]

*EDIT* I just re-read your original post and a fully wired SCART cable should feed stereo sound to your Viera too, it shouldn't just be audio only. The only reason for needing a SCART with audio breakout is if you want to feed a separate 5.1 surround sound amp. I would check that your SCART is not damaged in anyway or has a full set of 21 pins in the SCART plug.

S.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    not all boxes do depends on model niumber cut down 4001 boxes dont have audio outs i would return cable and get http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/130AV.html or similar make sure it is fully wired and cable is set RGB (even on an RGB only scart composite can prevail) and you are using the RGB input on veira eg AV1

8. PLASTICTAFF

PLASTICTAFF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    I had the same problem too with the sound.
    My rig up now contains a scart switch box with optical out.Everything goes in and the main scart going to my panny goes through a scart to vga.The optical goes into my amp.If you not getting sound with the scart you've got then its definitely a scart issue as Steve_P mentioned earlier.
    As a rule of thumb spend about 10% on cables to what you spent on your kit.Whats the point in having a top notch plasma,amp,speakers if your gonna get tight in the wallet on the wiring!!!
    Just a thought!
    PT

9. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have NTL too but mine looks different. I cant even access settings. The settings button on remote doesn't bring up anything? How can i check if i can use an RGB scart or just a normal scart to scart lead. Will i have to call NTL up?

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    try guide then look across the top for settings then try that (asuming ntl digital)

11. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh boy, you're a star. Got it working on 16:9 and RGB. So, if i now buy a scart scart RGB cable and connect it from NTL to plasma, it should be even better? WIll i not be able to get any sound then as the problem in first post?
    Whats the best way to connect NTL to plasma then... whats this other 21 pin cable as stated in the reply to first post?
    thanks everyone. This forum has to be congratulated esp hornydragon who is scanning and answering almost all the posts. Thanks so very much for your input.

12. davegtt

davegtt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hey, managed to get the NTL box to RGB, WOW what a difference in PQ already, never mind a better cable at the mo the TV seems 10x better :D

13. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    :smashin: Excellent!! :D

S.

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  15. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My dvd doesn't have component but only scart and S-video - which is better to connect to plasma. Should i just get a good IXOS cable or a S-video cable.
    As for NTL to plasma, is scart the best (and only way) to connect to plasma.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    RGB scart mate best for non component DVD