1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny Viera. Comments if you would.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Dulux, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Dulux

Dulux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking about buying the 37" Viera and would be intrested in your opinoins. Good points and bad. Thankyou in advance.

2. dingo8yobaby

dingo8yobaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    we set up the 42" version last week with the panny dmre85 dvd recorder using ixos component cables with pal prog enabled- overall i was quite dissapointed with too much noise and loss of detail in darker areas. pw6 is much better or try the pioneer 434.

3. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently had a demo of the 37" Panny along with the Pioneer 434 and a Panny PW6 at AV Sales. There were reported pros and cons for each product and to make up my own mind I arranged to see them all in action. I was very impressed with the Viera, although to my eyes all three appeared to have a similar quality picture. If anything the Viera did appear to have a better contrasted picture. I viewed all 3 on Sky and DVD with the same player connected (Denon 2900).

In the end I decided on the Pio 434. The pictures were similar as I say until you use HDMI. I know that some on the forum will point out that Pioneer haven't implemented HDMI correctly and that the Pio 868i isn't as good as a decent quality progressive output but to my eyes there was a decernable difference and that's all that matters to me.

I probably would have purchased the Viera had it got HDMI as I prefer the Panny's asthetics and that it's more of a T.V. (not secondary box and has Freeview)but for me it's omission plus the difference I saw meant that I went for the Pio.

The choice is yours. Try and get out to see one in action and I'm sure that you will love it. I did, but just not as much as the Pioneer.

4. Ianc

Ianc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Previous views on the Viera vs other Panny series 6 models (which are arguably cheaper) seem to verge on your desired use.

If you are a hi-fi 'enthusiast' and going to go all gold cables, 200£ power lead, and progressive scan etc to get the absolute dogs nuts out of your system then you'll probably end up with a non-viera panasonic or pioneer because they appear more flexible and configurable.

If you've got kids, and value not being woken up in the morning to switch on the amp, select appropriate source, set volume, switch on plasma, switch it to AV, etc.... then you'll want a TV like set - the viera.

The viera series has (according to this forum) good built-in de-interlacer (so prog-scan dvd's dont make a hell of a lot of differnece against non-prog scan).

The viera is all-in-one , so kids / gran/ wife/ can use it with ease. Which makes those initial days after the £3,000 box has arrived a lot easier...

You can get the 37" from John Lewis price matched against somebody else and get 5yr warranty (true with most plasmas). Many people on here got the 42" Viera for around £2750 from John Lewis on price matches - unless your room is teeny tiny then the 42" wont look out of place - you get used to it surprisingly quickly.

The stand's used/seem to be in short supply but oem stands are now more common. Eg Vogels EFW2001 wall bracket for about £130-140£.

Its a high quality picture, based on panasonic series 6 screens which are great.

If you want to use VGA input or S-Video inputs these are on a panel on the front which means cosmetically its pants to have a VGA cable running into the front of hte TV - on other plasma's (most) these are on the back so if you're gonna get into VGA converters and other type boxes you'll have a cosmetic problem and probably want the cheaper series6 panasonic panels like the PWseries.(i think)

The viera on the wall looks more bulky than the 'panel' plasmas because of its largish surround (because it has inbuilt speakers and sub-woofer).

Sorry to brain dump but this is all the stuff I looked at before I bought my 42" viera and Im over the moon , picture quality in the shop was ahead of everything else and ease of use for family was also critical having had & returned seperate amp, tuner, system previously.

And... they dont need regassing. Except if you buy them from Curries.

5. malanc

malanc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Although I have ordered a 42" viera the thing that bugs me more than anything is the lack of audio in's - if you want to use a component in without an amp (which i'm guessing is the whole point of this model) you have to use a scart to AV4 for sound, therefore giving up an RGB scart input

mad design, as is the front VGA sockets

7. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Regarding the user-friendliness of the Viera, I'm trying to decide between that (50-inch plasma) and the Pioneer PDP-504HDE. User friendliness is a priority because parents, kids, grandmas, etc, will be using it. Is the mentioned Pioneer also as user-friendly as a television set with minimal video-switching-through-amplifier, etc? (I personally don't mind using the amp as a video-switcher, myself being a home-cinema enthusiast, but I have to make priority for the technophobics in my family who'll also be using the TV).

Thanks.

8. art_pr

art_pr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought the Viera 42". I did it instead of the standard Panny series 6, because of my family.

Only disadvantage: no digital inputs. But I am convinced that when the explosion of DVI / HDMI / HDMI 2 / SDI comes there will be some AV processor able to output YUV into the component input of the Panny.

Superb picture / beautiful design / maximized WAF .

Great buy !

Art

9. Yanny

Yanny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a 42" at the end of last month and I am well impressed with the picture quality, sound, looks and overall ease of use. I'm not a tech head with various amplifiers, speakers and what have you hanging off it, just a Panasonic DVD Recorder and my Sky Box. All I was after was a class TV and that's exactly what I got.

10. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the whole point of the model????

I would imagine that anyone spending 3k on a plasma would have an amp and a decent surround sound set up.

Anyway, I have the 43" PE30 and it quite simply is magnificent.