1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panny veira th42pe30 High-Definition ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by brackenlamb, Oct 7, 2004.

1. brackenlamb

brackenlamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    according to panasonics website this tv is a High-Definition ,is this good?

Any how comets website do this for £2649.00 seems to good to be true.

Any way i have had a refund on my thomson and was thinking of getting this one versus a pa20?

any ideas :)

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  3. brackenlamb

brackenlamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    cant seem to acces the avsales website ,will keep trying

4. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Unless you want a built-in freeview tuner, look elsewhere. Mentioning the LG 42PX11 would prompt some quite polarised responses!!, but if you try to compare the technical specs, they are fairly comparable units (SD resolution, HD ready, high contrast, etc.) - apart from the freeview tuner. The LG is £1600 on Comet's website, and as low as £1500 elsewhere.

Is the Panasonic worth £1000 more than the LG? Not for my money!! (Oh, and you get a table top stand with the LG - AFAIK, that Comet price for the Panny doesn't include any kind of stand).

Or, if you can go without tuner and speakers (ie. have a seperate STB, and audio system), there are plenty of panels - including the PW6 and PW7 - that are *much* cheaper than the Veira.

5. brackenlamb

brackenlamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    After owning a thomson which wasnt brilliant there is no way i would buy an lg.
    the picture quality is far petter on a panny,my bro has the pa 20 and its completely different.
    I saw the veira at my local comet for £3699.but online a grand cheaper.
    It does come with a stand ,but its the picture quality that is the best part.
    As far as im aware it the same screen as the pw6 .
    Just jazzed up .
    although i will look online for the same model

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    jazzed up and easier to use as a telly not only does it have digital and analogue tuners but 4 count em 4 scarts, memory card reader, speakers and PC and component inputs camcorder input its all wrapped up in a nice package the PW6 (charcoal) is £1686 online but at £3,000.00 with floor stand and DVD recorder is serious value...

7. brackenlamb

brackenlamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thats what im gona go for .I wasnt sure about the design at first,but just look at it its fantastic. :)

8. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    What has owning a Thomson got to do with the LG? If you were at least comparing based on previous LG models, you might have a point. Even then, the new displays are supposedly a huge improvement over the previous models, and I certainly have nothing to complain about the 42px11.

9. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    OK, it's a *convenient* package, but value? It may have 4 Scarts, but only 2 are RGB enabled... if you want to expand the number of Scarts - on the panny or any other panel - it's only £60 for a Quintro.

Memory card reader - how many people care? PC + component inputs can be added to the PW6, or you get them anyway on the 42PX11. Speakers? Included with the 42PX11, or you can have a full 6.1 surround system - Panny SAXR50 + Mission FS1 speakers - for £700.

I agree the Panny has it's good points, and the convenience / neatness may be worth it to some. But it really isn't that good value.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    coming from an LG owner fair enough but side by side 9/10 people choose panny.... If you want a panel buy a PW6/7 or VHA if you want a telly buy a veira, if you want an HD telly buy a Pio, Hi def screen buy a Pio MXE or PHD panny with industry leading panny being so cheap it is very very hard to justify spending 10-20% less on anything else..... but you have and you like it great....

11. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    But, it isn't 10-20%... the 42PX11 has everything of the Veira, except 1 less Scart socket, the memory card reader, and the freeview tuner. And for that, it can be had for £1000 less than the Comet price for the Panny.

The 42PX11 when setup properly gives very good blacks, excellent contrast, 60,000 hours claimed lifespan, and good upscaler / digital processor. I would say it is very, very hard to justify spending £1000 - 66% - more on the Veira.

12. daveblue

daveblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just bought th42pe30b with stand, dmr e55 recorder, and 5 year warranty from bristol john lewis for 2799 by price matching liverpool branch. Over a grand cheaper than anything I can get locally, thanks to this forum for putting me on to it..

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Still think its not good value..... at £4k for veira i agree. thats what it should have been all along PW6 should have been £3,500 but they arent........... Just be happy you own a plasma and are happy with it...... Thats the most important thing
    :thumbsup:

14. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    *Ahem* The Vieras have 3x SCART sockets not 4, :) 2x of which can take RGB, 1x Component input, 1x stereo audio out. Front mounted there is 1x VGA via 15 pin D-sub, 1x S-video and 1x composite with 1x stereo input.

S.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  16. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Heh no problemo HD :D Still loving my Viera :) Out of all the plasmas I've seen it had the best picture for my eyes and I was after a TV as opposed to a PDP (so that ruled out the PW6 for me).

S.

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Steve what do you think of ntl compared to freeview from internal tuner...

18. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Haven't tried the freeview :blush: I don't have a terrestrial arial to pick up freeview broadcasts. TBH my PQ via ntl digital is so good I've not really bothered to get an aerial installed. The analogue pass through signal for BBC1/2, ITV, Ch4, & 5 is a bit ropey tho' picturewise but good enough to read analogue teletext services with no loss of data.

S.

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Hmmmmm ntl looks very poor on my CRT..... FV looked fantastic when i tried it from PVR800T...... Hmmmm interesting

20. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I'm lucky in that my ntl signal is really good, I can only assume that there aren't many peeps on my street/feed line that subscribe to ntl.

S.

p.s. Apologies for going :offtopic: :)

S.

21. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Ahh.... so no DVI-D input then? :rolleyes:

22. brackenlamb

brackenlamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Lets just say after buying the thomson £2500,a so called cheaper plasma only 1 year ago,it went wrong 3 times and the picture quality was never up to a panny.The blacks were poor etc.
    I have learnt my lesson and was lucky to get a refund so this time around its gonna be a pannasonic .
    If the pannasonic and lg were the same price what would you go for?
    Me it would be pannasonic everytime.
    It would be intersting to see what others have to say,.

23. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I just spent nearly 2 grand on a Samsung 42psv4 .Thank god I paid a little extra and got it off JL.What a pile of poo!Lovely looks and features but the picture is atrocious.
    Sent it back(full refund!) and got the 42"viera with stand and DVDR for£2999. It looks good, does everything I need from a plasma .And the PQ? Drop dead gorgeous.
    Best decision I could have made.
    Delighted!

24. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If the Panasonic and the LG were the same price, for everything I need/want - ie. enough scart, component, etc. inputs + desktop stand (these last little 'extras' are what pushes the PW6 from being slightly more expensive than the LG to significantly more expensive)... tough choice PQ and feature wise (the PQ of the new LG's is *very* good, and the 'XD engine' works well), but it would probably be the Panasonic - mainly because I have had a Panasonic TV before, it's a more recognised name, and potentially has a better resale value.

But then we aren't talking about two panels that cost the same, are we? The Panasonic you mention is £1000 more than the LG. For a freeview tuner (that I will never use)? For an SD card slot? (how many people even use SD cards anyway?) For one more RGB scart?

Personally, I'm not convinced that the Panasonic does have a better PQ than a well setup 42PX11 (I haven't seen any previous LG panel so I can't comment on the PQ of those, which may well have been significantly behind the market leaders). I'm certainly not convinced that it has £1000 worth of better PQ.

I've had some LG products before (although not TVs/Plasmas), and never had any complaints with them. So, I'll take the XD engine, the DVI-D input and the quoted 60,000 hours panel life and save a grand. Maybe things will go wrong, maybe they won't - but you could say the same about a new Panasonic model. The TV I have just replaced is a Philips 32PW9527 - a recognised name, an award winning TV when it was released, but look at the problems people have had (including me) since then.

If it lives up to it's claims, the LG will still be going strong when the Panasonic is withering. And if it doesn't, as long as it last a couple of years, I'll have justification to look at true HD sets to go with the HD broadcasts - and won't be worrying that I spend *so* much on the panel in the first place.

25. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I saw a Panny 42PE30 setup with a Panny E55 recorder last weekend at Allders showing Monsters Inc and wasn't very impressed.

The picture was full of 'jaggies', now I know that you have to take displays in shops with a pinch of salt, but I just wanted to know whether this really was due to bad set-up or an inherent display flaw?

Any forum members who have this model, how have you find the pq?

It was especially apparanent when Text was on screen i.e. end-credits. The screen was connected via RGB scart.

26. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    No there is no DVI-D input, but then I'm happy enough with RGB SCART and/or progressive component input.

I'm sure you'll be happy with your LG. As for me, I'm still loving my Panny. Yes there are small niggles that could be designed better but then I haven't yet seen the 'perfect' television set, plasma or otherwise... Any TV will have it's good and bad points.

As for whether a TV set is worth more than another, that's down to an individuals choice. I'd prefer to take my chances with a manufacturer that has a proven track record making plasmas with good PQ rather than another manufacturer that hasn't had a good reputation in the past even if they are making recent improvements.

At the end of the day, I viewed alot of TV's including CRT sets before I made my choice (I originally was intending to get a TX-36PD30 and not a plasma at all) I'll let my eyes be the judge of my purchase and not specifications on paper, for me, the Viera had all that I wanted.

Once HD television has actually hit the UK and is firmly established, i.e. once broadcasters are using HD significantly and Blu-ray or HD-DVD are freely available at a sensible price, then, and only then, will I start to investigate all this HDMI / DVI / HDCP malarkey and think about upgrading.

Good luck with your LG

S.

p.s. just because you don't find a certain feature of interest doesn't mean that everyone else will have the same opinion I actually use the SD memory card slot quite a bit. :rolleyes:

p.p.s. Tejstar, No jaggies on my set, maybe the settings to do with picture tweaking were messed with? Or was the picture zoomed in? One of the reasons I chose the PE30 was the lack of digital artifacts affecting the PQ even when compared to CRT's like PD30 or Sony's HX100. And animated films like Monsters Inc. or Finding Nemo should really flatter a plasma's ability because the screen doesn't have work as hard in displaying lots of detail.

27. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    AS both machines are component capable doesnt that tell you something about a the shops setup? and are you sure it was RGBS going down the scart cable? not composite?

28. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I don't need it yet, but it could be useful in the future.

Absolutely - but I have no complaints about the PQ of the LG. Or rather, the panel is good enough to show any problems in the source.

I was the other way round - I wanted a plasma, but I knew I couldn't spend a lot. I wouldn't have bought the LG without seeing it first.

I quite agree. And whilst we all realise there are certain issues that can arise with the current LCD and plasma displays, no doubt there will be developments in the next 2-3 years that will influence the direction to take. I'm not concerned about having a true HD display just yet, but I'm happy that I've got one that can be fed a HD signal (and I've seen the LG running with a HD input on Tottenham Court Road, and it's *very* impressive).

GL with your Panny ;-)

I know, I was just pointing out that it isn't a particular relevant feature for a large section of the market.

G

29. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I'm pretty sure it was connected via RGB scart. So judging by your comments, this is not a flawed screen but a flawed set-up?

30. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    correct did you check that the E 55 was set to RGB and connected to an RGB enabled socket on plasma? 'It should have been connected via component if they cant get that right chances are they dont know what RGB is or does........ what you descibed sounds like composite video mate.......