1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny v Pioneer etc

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rmick, Sep 4, 2004.

1. rmick

rmick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help - please

I think I'm going mad. I'm about to invest what for me is a large sum on a new setup and I'd be reallly grateful for some guidance - here's my thinking:

Display - Pioneer 434HDE or Panny Viera 42 (or PW6? - this seems a big favourite around here)

DVD Player - Aracam DV79 or Pioneer 868 (is the HDMI output worth it? - obviously not if I go for either Panny)

Receiver - Arcam AVR300 or Pioneer AX5i

Speaker package - Kef Q7 AV or... (I'm after something musical as I want to play 2 channel stuff and not feel short changed)

I'm planning on using one end of a room which is about 30ft by 11ft - it has an archway creating a useable space of about 11 ft by 12ft.

I'd really appreciate any views on choice of kit and crucially, I'm concerned about whether I'll not get the best out of the kit in the useable space as above (ie is my choice of kit OTT for the space?).

Finally, having just read a review of the new AX10, I'm considering breaking the bank as it will remove the need for buying spearate kit for CD listening.

Sorry to ramble on - any views gratefully received.

Thanks
    Mick

2. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You're comparing a HD display with two that aren't. So - it /should/ look better if you provde it with a high quality video source. If it's HD your after then you should compare the Pio with the HD version on the panasonic panel :)

Sorry - can't offer any advice on the DVD/speakers etc. - I've just got an "all-on-one" Sony DAVS55 - which is good enough quality for me given that I live in a flat and can't turn it up too loud! :thumbsdow

ZZ

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,596
    rmick

Your short list will meet with much approval on these boards - many folk would be happy to assemble the indicated systems!

For me I could easily live without the Integrated PlasmaTV (Viera) or PlasmaTV (HDE) and instead go with a Plasma Display (PHD or MXE1).

When you have the switching capabilities of an Arcam AVR-300 or Pioneer VSX-AX5i AV Receiver in your system the switching capabilities of the Integrated PlasmaTV or PlasmaTV all but become redundant (I've long ago given up on Analogue Broadcasts and don't get Freeview where I live so its SKY+ for me).

If your going to push the boat out I'd consider:
    01. A Video Processor
    02. A Pre/Power combination over a big box AV Receiver

A short list of systems we are currently putting together to great affect would be.

Display:
    Pioneer 43MXE1
    Panasonic TH-42PHD6BX (and keep in mind the HDMI equipped PHD7 is only weeks away)

DVD player:
    Arcam DV79
    Pioneer DV-868AVi

Video Processor:
    Lumagen Vision DVI
    DVDO iScanHD (with Digital Audio delay)

AV Processors and 7 Ch Amplification:
    Atlantic Technology P-2000/A-2000 (see Power Buy section)

Loudspeaker systems:
    Anthony Gallo*
    Atlantic Technology*
    *Both of these brands offer a range of products that let you mix and match to suit most rooms.

Subwoofers:
    Anthony Gallo*
    Atlantic Technology*
    Velodyne

If you want info on any of the above please shout.

Best regards

Joe

4. lapman22

lapman22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pioneer HDE systems have the benefit if HDMI that currently cannot be matched by anyone. I'm almost certain that the MXE series doesn't offer that.

As someone who is in you're position (as Joe would know...) , I've checked a lot of offers and found the Pioneer HDE (it's 50" for me) the best using HDMI. With regards to the rest , the VX5 has all you need and much more but I understand that Pionner have certain stock of VX10 that it sold for less than 2 grand. Not sure if it's worth the extra money but the latest HCC review rate this AV AMP as high as it gets.

Speakers - this forum seems to favor the MS setup and the Gallos. Personally , I've only listened to Bose and KEF sets and found the 2005.2 to be very good allround.

I think the Pioneer combination (HDE , VX5 and 868) is a winner. Add the KEF set and you've got a fantastic mid-range setup for everyone to envy... :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Lapman.

5. scanneb

scanneb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 434HDE and 868i and can confirm that the picture quality is excellent using the HDMI connection. However, beware the fact that the media box for the HDE allocates the same input to the HDMI connection and the only component connection - meaning you can only use one or the other without going into the set-up menus to switch between them. Effectively, with with 868 connected by HDMI all other connections are by scart.

I'm not sure that the analogue tuner in the HDE receiver is worth having - particularly if you have a Freeview or Sky or tend to watch via any recording system (e.g. VCR, DVD recorder or DVD/HDD recorder). However I don't know whether any systems offer HDMI without a tuner.

One quick comment - the useable space you mention is 11' by 12' - you might want to consider wall mounting the screen and going for wall mounted speakers, otherwise you could end up uncomfortably close to the screen and overwhelmed by kit. Just a thought.

I'll be interested to hear your decision on reciever - I'm currently splitting my system into two (moving house so have extra room) and am debating the various options. Elsewhere on forums I read that Pioneer AX5 is due new version this month (AX5Ai) and will include video scaling, but only for analogue video - which would be ok if you are happy to use component connection for *all* connections to the screen. Denon 3805 might be worth considering - seems to be getting lots of positive comment. AX10 might be a tad OTT for the space you have available, but only listening will enable you to determine whether the quality improvement justifies the additional cost.

Good luck.

6. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'm planning this setup

Pioneer 50" MXE-1
    Aurora 500F (need the HDMI w/HDCP)
    Pioneer 868i
    Pioneer AX5Ai
    Humax 8000T
    XBox (hidef kit)
    B&W S3 601, 604, LRC600

I have also been considering the Denon 3805 (Receiver) + 3910 (DVD) but just can't get over the (lack of, IMO) looks with the 3910. Its a bit "tanky."

However, I'm sure its a great player... also the lack of digital pathway for SVCD slightly puts me off the Denon (even though that should be rectified shortly).

Pioneer screen + 868i seems to be a forum favourite.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,596
    lapman22

As you say no HDCP support via DVI or HDMI on the Pioneer Video boards for the MXE1 - though in the next few weeks we will have the TVP-500F from Aurora Multimedia that do have HDCP support in the shape of two HDMI sockets.

Are these 'special offer' Amplifiers VSA-AX10i or VSA-AX10Ai?

Best regards

Joe

8. rmick

rmick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all these helpful comments.

I'm guessing the special offer on the AX10 are on the earlier versions? If not, then it looks very tempting.

Joe - lots of the kit you mention is new to me - I confess to not having come across Atlatnic Tech or Anthony Gallo - is there a good source of further info - websites etc?

Many thanks one again.
    Mick

9. lapman22

lapman22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's for the AX10i. Does it worth it?