panny v pioneer- black level

interesting thread, but 'flickering like a 50hz tv' has anyone else suffered that with a 6 series panasonic?

Jinkies!

This could make a lot of consumers' minds up for them. Is any one/retailer in a position to mimic this test over here...........?

Would they want to!?

I saw it as well...... there is no way I would swap resolution for that much black loss (or gain depending how you look at it!)

ad

Originally posted by Elvis
interesting thread, but 'flickering like a 50hz tv' has anyone else suffered that with a 6 series panasonic?

Yes and no. They do flicker but it's not, IMHO, anything like a 50Hz tv flicker. The entire picture flickers, all the time, on a TV (and I never, ever noticed this until I got my panny ;)). The PWD6, as I notice it anyway, sometimes flickers on large areas of light, flat colour for PAL sources.

Originally posted by Elvis

Hi Elvis,

It's well know panny's suffer a slight flicker problem.

some people are more sensitive to flicker than others,that's why i didn't go for the panny.

DVD:)

At Event we did a similar test except with MOVING pictures. Results will be on discs attendees get. It is not a secret that Panasonics won in both SD and HD categories. By how much varied though.

Results will follow in next few weeks

Gordon

Gordon, was the Fuji HA30 in that test. Would be interested to know how that compared tio the Panny.

Thank you

I think it was one of the entry level old 10 series Fuji's, not the VHA20 or VHA30

I think we all agree that both Pio4 & Panny6 are top notch screens. The choice between the two will envolve more than just which gives blacker black or which does not flicker with brighter image.

You buy a package and it envolves:
1- Price (aka value for money)
2- Warranty and after sale support.
3- Looks (some love the Pio's Piano black finish whereas some prefer silver frame) at the end of the day you have to live with it.
4- Do you want a TV or a display? (The Pio is a TV and the Panny is a display).
5- your own personal eyes need to judge the picture you see.
6- connectivity - depends on your kit.
7- Your use. Will you connect a PC/laptop? Do you need HD?

If you can answer all the above on a piece of paper and check each plasma's features, you will find the decision easier than you think.

For those facing the big dilemma of choosing between the two- at least you know that whichever one you end up with - You will NOT be disappointed.

I went for the Pio 504 and love it. Others went for the Panny and love it too. Go and demo them - digital cameras and other people opinions are no good when you are paying 000s of pounds.

Emad

I must admit I really love the look of the Pio 434 (when it's switched off), but from what I've heard I've 'almost' crossed it off my list and it's now a choice betweena Panasonic or NEC. I won't be auditioning until I can afford one though!

To be honest the contrast ratio was the most important deciding factor for me and so took the panny. To me a proper cinematic filmic picture HAS to have exceptional blacks so that it is believable and is almost like looking out of a window.

Originally posted by Dean
To be honest the contrast ratio was the most important deciding factor for me and so took the panny. To me a proper cinematic filmic picture HAS to have exceptional blacks so that it is believable and is almost like looking out of a window.
I looked out of the window the other day and was shocked to see that there was no colour banding in the sky, and no jaggies on the fence over the road. Very impressive.

I understand that Pioneer owners don't clean their windows, in order to better replicate their viewing experience. :devil:

I'd be interested to know what people think of Hitachi panel black levels in comparison to the results in that Panny/Pioneer test. Obviously, I doubt they'd top the Panny (considering the fact its known for sumptuous blacks) but what about against the Pioneer.

And to be fair, I don't recall a Pioneer screen ever looking that bad when I've viewed them in a store.

I have to say that I have never seen impressive blacks on the 434/504HDE.
Infact they do seem a little washed out compared to even Hitachi screens, but I have put this down to the black gloss surround as I cant believe that the contrast can be that bad.

I think that we will get a true look at the Pioneer black/contrast levels once the MXE versions are released.

I had a panny 6 and although I was really impressed with the black level, I had to return it as I found the "shimmer" or "flicker" present with large areas of the same colour (usually white) too distracting.

I originally bought it over the Pioneer because of the black level. The picture on the Pioneer looked great to my eyes until either large areas of black featured on screen or a 2.35:1 ratio widescreen film was displayed when to me it simply looked grey.

Once I returned the panny, I went again to look at the Pioneer in case I was mistaken. I went to a different outlet and they had one set up with a HDMI signal going into it. They put on a w/s dvd and although the image was impressive the lack of black still stopped me from buying one.

Having said that, it was nowhere near as bad as the pictures shown on that other forum.

Bear in mind though this is all just my opinion and I may be hypercritical as there are loads of people here who love the picture on their Pioneers and can't see flicker on the Panasonic.

I know that the previous range didn't get a lot of good word of mouth around here but I'm going to wait and see what the new Sony MRX1 is like picture wise. My wife is getting impatient and quickly got used to a plasma on the wall and wants a replacement!

I looked at Panny's & Pioneer's (amongst others).

Went with a Panny in the end. I'm not susceptable to flicker of a Panny it seems, but I most definitely am to Pioneer black levels.

Just a thought, and being a professional photographer the first thing that comes to mind when I see that picture is......

what a load of b******s.........

Had the guy exposed for the light levels on the pioneer we would all be saying how good the Pioneer was and that the Panasonic is so dark it is unwatchable........this picture is a nonsense, honestly! It is not scientific and not valid either....

I could take a correctly exposed picture of my Hitachi that would blow that Panny out of the water too! What a daft test!

Best regards David

In fact............:devil:

Attachments

• detail view.jpg
    detail view.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 369
If you look further into that thread at the second "test" picture of the snow scene, you will notice the Pio looks better, this is merely the fact as I stated earlier that the camera is exposing for more light (the ambient light was turned up) as such the panny is underexposed and looks dull and washed out and the Pio looks great, just happens to be the right exposure for that light level and the Pio screen.........

If this was rocket science I would be on the moon by now! LOL

Best regards David

I second Galaxy's opinion

I am a semi pro photographer and can tell you there are soooo many factors envolved that could affect the result. I also have a Pio 504 and there is no way it looks as bad and washed down as it is in the picture shown!!

Originally posted by Stiesto
I'd be interested to know what people think of Hitachi panel black levels in comparison to the results in that Panny/Pioneer test. Obviously, I doubt they'd top the Panny (considering the fact its known for sumptuous blacks) but what about against the Pioneer.

And to be fair, I don't recall a Pioneer screen ever looking that bad when I've viewed them in a store.

IMHO i think the black level on Hitachi plasmas are good very good.

DVD

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom