1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny TX32PL1F

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Lasse, May 28, 2002.

1. Lasse

Lasse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Howdy!

I have a question or few for those of you who have more experience on tv's.

Few weeks ago I decided to buy a new tv since I found out that the cheapest 32" widescreens only cost like 699 euros. Well I bought a 32" Samsung first with price tag of some 750 euros but the quality of picture was just too terrible to look at.

Well I went back to the store and got a brand new Panasonic TX32PL1F (This is a new model, so new that it's not on Panny's homepage yet) this time costing some 1150 euros. I think it's the same thing as plain PL1 there in UK with possibly some differencies in speakers or something.

This time the picture at a first glance was PERFECT. Great sharpness and the clarity and richness of colours is really good. I do have a few things that I'm concerned about though:

1) When switched on A/V channel and watching DVD's I get some ghostly shadows from the channel that the TV was on before switching to A/V. Well I can get pass this problem by changing the channel first onto 0 (VCR) and the A/V but I found out that this causes some noise in the picture. The picture is only at its best when I unplug the RF completely. I have read about disconnenting one of the pins in the SCART cable, but I would rather think that this could be fixed some way different. After all, I would be surprised if Panasonic required us to modify our cables to get the best pic... So could this just be due to cheap/bad cables. Could the quality of RF cable cause this, besider SCART?

2) I also have noticably bad picture on a few of the normal tv channels. I had the same problem with the above mentioned Samsung, but never with my old TV. So is this just because the new tv's are more sensitive? This at least is probably due to a crappy RF cable.

3) This I think is the most important concern for me. The picture quality is great alright, but somehow I got the feeling that maybe, just maybe the upper side of the screen was arched inside a little bit (the middle hanging just LITTLE lower that the corners) Well, lucky me, I have the Moulin Rouge DVD, and it has an THX test of some kind as an extra. One of the THX picture tests has a grid on the background which is used to see if there indeed is anything wrong with the geometry of the screen and to mee it really seems like the most upper bar of the grid is bended downwards a little bit. So now I'm wondering if this is caused by my TV, my DVD player, bad cables or what. I must also mention that my DVD player is LG's region free PAL player, but the disc is R1 NTSC (dvd player converts it and it looks very good).

Any ideas on what I should try doing next? I've read about the service menu of the TV. I haven't yet tried to access it because I'm guessing I might do some more harm. (How do you access it by the way?)

I'm hoping that somebody had the energy to read all the way down here. If you yet have energy to answer, I'd be more than satisfied.

Thank you all in advance!

Best regards,

-Lasse

2. jag

jag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of buying the PL1 also so look forward to any comments.

3. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lasse, just browse thru this forum,
    there are many threads about these
    you might need to enter service mode (also described here) to correct something
    wish you a lot of fun
    #cheers