1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny TX32PD30 problems

Discussion in 'TVs' started by wadds, Oct 21, 2003.

1. wadds

wadds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just recently bought a Panny TX32PD30 with a Pioneer VSXC501 Receiver, DV5651 DVD and the Kef 1001 speaker package. Although initial impressions were very impressive, I’m finding my sky viewing being hampered.

I do not know if this is anything to do with my recently replaced STB (Amstrad DRX300) or the louder than faint electrical buzzing coming from the right hand rear of the Panny; sounds like a capacitor, but hey I’m not an electrical engineer. The symptoms are pixelation of the display especially in darker areas. I have looked for an AI option in the menus however nothing to be found.

Anybody any ideas, oh and this buzzing sound is this normal for a 32” TV?

2. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi wadds,

What Sky box are you using. It sounds like the same problem I and many other people are having with noise on the RBG inputs. Have a look at a dark scene or at the end of a film when the credits role for interference lines horizontally across the screen, but the silly thing is its not always noticeably on very dark scenes. My first PD30 was really bad for this so I had it exchanged and the new set is a lot better. I have to turn the brightness up to well over 75% before I notice it. I think this noise is causing the poor pictures on SKY. You may see some articles in the various magazines about the PD30's poor handling of noise. I for one can vouch for this. Some of the guys are saying that the Sky+ boxes are not showing this problem on the RGB connections and that the SKY pictures are really nice when using a SKY+ box. As I said, I was really disappointed with the first PD30 I had especially on Sky. My terrestrial pictures were far better. Having had it exchanged its a lot better the interference lines are not so evident so I must assume this is the problem. I'm now thinking of getting a SKY+ box to use either the S-video or the RBG if its OK on this box. I know I shouldn't have to upgrade my equipment to suit the PD30 temperaments but there's something about the PD30 I like and I'm going to give it a chance. By the way, if you happen to notice any dirty patches on the screen I'm afraid all the sets I've seen have this to some extent so if you get a set with good RGB inputs I would live with it other wise, like me, your go around upsetting lots of people and not getting very far.

I hope this helps

Bazza

3. wadds

wadds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bazza, many thanks for your reply I will certainly try this once I get home tonight.

My Sky box is the Amstrad DRX300, on my old TV, and I mean old, it was great, however on the PD30 it’s just not cutting it. My girlfriend doesn’t seem to notice it but I do and after shelling out almost £2400 for the entire system it’s very annoying, especially coupled with the buzzing sound. Unfortunately, I cannot afford to fork out for the Sky + as we have just bought a new mini and anyway would not fit under the TV as it’s too deep.

I know what you mean with persevering with the PD30, it’s a dame sexy TV and that’s why we got it. It had nothing to do with its performance or rear inputs, this was purely a woman choice. I wanted a plasma but far too many thing could have gone wrong with it. Not a gamble I was willing to take, girlfriend or Plasma? No contest really.

Luckily enough my PD30 doesn’t seem to have any dirty spots and if I get a replacement it better not get any.

Once again thanks for your reply

4. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem M8,

I hope you get it sorted. If you want to know any more about the RGB issues with this set just do a quick search on "PD30" and your be enlightened.

One other thing, the buzzing sound should die down after a while if its not to bad. My first set drove me mad especially at night when the volume was low. I remember going to bed one night and my ears were hurting. The second set is not as bad but it still buzzes a little but I'm hoping that should die down.

Bazza