1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PANNY TX32LXD50 32" LCD - running in/views??

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by samjet, Jun 23, 2005.

1. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    my parents are thinking about one of the above - its a size thing otherwise they would have had a panny plasma :D

firstly how do you rate this screen - and no hd is not in the equation

do lcds neeed running in on lower contrast settings etc as does a plasma

thanks in anticipation :hiya:

2. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'm awaiting news on this LCD as well. With imminent arrival of the 'HD Ready' 500 version, prices of this model have been falling (even Currys can do it for £899 via their website !!).

I can live without HDMI as long as I can feed progressive signals from a DVD through component. Does that sound feasible?

Anyone with one like to provide some feedback?

Dave

3. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ref price - think you will find that the 32" version cannot be found at less than £1200 :D

this is a brand new model - the hd version is also out as well

4. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Sorry - I was quoting price of 26" model.

This has been around for a few weeks now (suffix 50).

No sign of the HD model in any retailers yet (suffix 500).

;)

5. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    To answer one of your questions, running in using lowered settings etc as you would on a plasma isnt needed on an LCD. Some people have mentioned a perceived increase in PQ after some use, and some LCDs that have originally had a small buzz have also died down over use, but there doesnt seem to be any consistency in this.

If your definately not interested in HD, then i would at least wait for the 500 to come out. This will only make the 50 take another dive in price i rekon.
    As for how the 50 performs, i couldnt tell you. Its strangley difficult picking a non HD LCD, as i personally have the view that as long as an LCD performs bloody well with DVD and HD sources im willing to forgive it for a not so good SD picture. You on the other hand (or rather your parents) will want the best SD picture possible, which isnt always the case with the latest and greatest.
    You may even find that the only way to get the best SD picture you can for your money, is to buy a HD LCD anyway. For instance, if the 500 panny has better or upgraded processing etc, it may well look better than the 50 with SD, as the 50 shares the same resolution panel as the 500 anyway. (Not saying that it will, just a thought)

6. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hi dan

thanks for your observations :D

7. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Anyone know if the 50 series Panny has sound inputs for use when inputting component picture signals. Read somewhere that an earlier Panny had component picture sockets, but no corresponding sound inputs - the advice was to use Scart for the sound ???

Also any feedback on performance of this TV (if I can input progressive pictures through component, then I'm not too bothered with HDMI at this stage).

Dave

8. Van Cortlandt

Van Cortlandt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave: I have a pdf of the 50 series manual. Under 'Connection Terminals', this lists
    AV1 (blah blah blah)
    AV2 (blah)
    AV3 (blah)
    AV4 (blah)
    and then
    Component Video Y, Pb, Pr
    Component Audio L-R RCA Pin Type x2
    and then
    Output Audio L-R RCA Pin Type x2

To my (very) amateur eye, the manual also seems to confirm that you can input progressive pictures through component. If you'd like to see the pdf manual for yourself, please PM me your e-mail address. Can't help you about the 50 series performance, though: I'm as curious as you are....
    Christopher

9. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks Christopher - I've pm'd email address.

Can't believe there are no owners on this forum wanting to report their experiences of this TV. As I understand (from Empire Direct), they're flying off the shelves.

Dave

10. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I am a fan of Panasonic, and recently spent some considerable time in my local Panasonic store playing around with settings etc. on the new 50 series LCD, and I have to say how disappointed I was with the model. Viewed through the Freeview tuner the results were not pretty, smearing tizzing etc. Having said all that, the reason I am still sticking with my Panasonic CRT is because I have yet to find an LCD from any manufacturer that outperforms a CRT when using Sky, Freeview, or Analogue as its source material.

11. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    well faust - have got to disagree with you ;)

went to jl yesterday to collect my parents panny lcd and there was one running in the demo room via freeview - i was impresssed

but it seems to me that you have a bit of a problem with lcd and plasma :rotfl: as reading some of your earlier posts seems to show you prefer crt!!

i have a panny viera plasma (well set up) and to be honest i doubt if even you could find fault :devil:

12. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I must admit to having played around with the Panny a lot in JL and currys. Not withstanding the fact there were linked up to 3 other TV's I thought the picture was good, I am sure if wasn't sharing a feed then the picture would be excellent.

13. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Having looked at the manual for this, and compared it with usa version, seems that this one has no backlight control or control for black levels. I don't know how significant these omissions are.....

Comments anyone?

Otherwise seems well equipped. Can handle progressive input through component (and on this set, there are inputs for sound - missing on earlier Pannys).

If prices continue falling I may cancel Samsung LE26R41BD and buy this.

Dave

14. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Just look at my post on the Toshiba 37WL56 then - I do mention the Viera Plasma in that post. The trouble is I am not blind and I cannot fool myself. If the PQ is not good on the LCD or Plasma you are viewing, or nowhere near as good as the TV you own at present then why not say so? At the end of the day the only person who is going to be disappointed is you. I don't go round the store thinking to myself - now every LCD or Plasma panel I come across I shall be super critical of and tell myself that my present TV is better. Why on earth do you think I keep looking? I keep looking because I want to purchase an LCD or Plasma panel but have yet to find one that cuts the mustard. I stand back in the stores, gaze at all the smearing, artefact's etc. on sets around the £2K mark, then look at my present set in the same store which can now be had for £279 and I say to myself "are you mad you stupid fool, how on earth is that digital soup in front of you better than what you have now"? I tell you, this does not please me. What I would say though is this - the new Viera Plasma 500 HD Ready panel I saw today is the first panel to date that I really might consider as a replacement for my CRT, the PQ really was good, despite a rubbish feed.

15. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14

16. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    The 500 models, as shown on Panasonics website do not appear to have any SCART sockets - US models reather than European ?

17. Gogglebox

Gogglebox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  18. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    you must have found a panny site different to the one i found - scarts are clearly mentioned :rotfl:

sorry don't know how to post a link but searched under panasonic uk