1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny TX29AD2 dark picture fault / 32" widescreen replacement

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Breeza, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Breeza

Breeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

I have been the very happy owner of a Panasonic 29AD2 4:3 TV for the last 6 years or so. It has recently developed a fault where when the set is turned on the picture is fine, after a few seconds it gets darker. If you crank up the contrast & brightness its watchable but not perfect. All inputs show the same problem.

Its currently in for repair at a panny authorised centre but they can't track the problem down, they first returned it to me saying that they couldn't reproduce the fault but had re soldered some suspect dry joints on the "CRT warmers" & they thought that this would resolve the issue.

It worked OK for two days and then the fault returned so I gave them back the set. This time they have reproduced the problem & currently think it is either the tube (Ahhhh) or I think they said the "chromesence stage" or something.

I thought it might just be a faulty capacitor or something simple :(
    It doesn't look like a classic tube related problem to me??

Anyway, I was hoping this brilliant set would last me a few more years and I have to say the picture is supurb even when compared to the latest widescreens with dodgy geometry etc etc but I may have to bite the bullet and buy a replacement.

I was thinking of a 32" widescreen for the following use:
    Sky+ - RGB (Watch lots of football)
    Panny DVD - RGB
    JAP Dreamcast, USA Gamecube, UK XBOX, UK PS2, JAP Saturn - All RGB
    Just need a monitor really as I have a full AV amp and speakers
    Will want to take the line audio out from the TV to the AMP - I know this can be a problem on some Sony sets.
    Budget is around £1000
    I don't need it before Christmas as I will be going away over the holidays.

After checking these forums it looks like the Loewe Aventos could be the way to go. I did see two issues posted with this set, moire on NTSC and poor RGB picture quality.

Does anyone use NTSC consoles through RGB with this set? If so will the picture be as good as my old TXAD2?

I was also looking at the Articos, it looks fantastic but is the picture much better than the Aventos other than the ani reflective screen?

Cheers

Steve..

2. Breeza

Breeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Still no news from the repair shop so I am continuing to window shop for a Loewe: is there any significant difference other than the extra digital processing between the Q2500M chassis used in the Aventos and Q2500H used in the Articos?

Also do these two sets use exactly the same tube?