1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny TX28PS12 help required please!!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by twotonemark, Oct 17, 2003.

1. twotonemark

twotonemark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New tv turned up yesterday, Panasonic TX28PS12 and I have a Pioneer DCS303. I have a scart to s-video cable which I hooked from the s-video socket on the dvd to AV2 S-VIDEO scart socket on the tv. But when I play a dvd its in black and white.

I tried the scart end in AV4 S-VIDEO (the third scart socket) with the same result. I then us my other lead(like a phono lead but with yellow ends for video - sorry don't know proper name) and connected this from dvd player to AV3 which is on the FRONT of the TV and it works in colour but I don't want a lead hanging out of the front of the tv.

Can some one please help...what am I doing wrong?

2. Skwarkenklux

Skwarkenklux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like an NTSC issue, are there any settings for such on the telly? Plus is the DVD you're playing Region 1?

I'm torn between the JVC 28R25 and the Panasonic 28PS5 model, but as yet don't have a Panasonic TV so aren't familiar with them.

I would also check the DVD player has the correct output settings, although unlikely there'll be anything relating to NTSC or PAL there.

Sorry I couldn't be much more help, others better informed should be able to...

3. hatcher

hatcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

This may be a bit late but I bought one the other day and had the same problem.

I found out that you have to also tell the TV to monitor the s-video part of the AV4 socket after selecting AV4 socket itself. This is done using the coloured buttons that appear all to briefly after hitting the TV/AV and then AV4. Once it's done it will remember it.

The lack of colour is because the set defaults to composite and cannot 'see' the colour portion (the other being the brightness) of the s-video split signal.

The reason why it works through the AV3 at the front as the yellow connector you descibe sounds like the standard composite video lead that has both colour and brightness signals combined.

Hope this helps.

Have you managed to get the video (I have it Q-linked on AV2) to auto display when you are watching a satellite program through a decoder or DVD on AV1/AV4? Mine works fine when monitoring off-air but not when viewing an AV source. It's a shame because my old Philips did.

Ray

4. thespian

thespian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, the above sounds right - the Panny PS5 is the same - simply selecting the AV port will not guarantee the correct signal is expected - maybe something to do with autoswitching as if you had s-video coming out of a scart on a dvd player, the tv would receive the correct signal from the signal voltage line.

Press TV/AV and you should see coloured indicators on the bottom of the screen relating to the Fasttext buttons on the TV remote. The AV socket number you want may show something like this: AV2/s - just press the corresponding fasttext button until you see a coloured input.

The good news is that once you've correctly assigned the AV port, it should stay in that state when you next use the dvd player.

Regarding the choice between the Panasonic and JVC28R25, go with the Panasonic - had both and it is FAR superior. Don't worry, you won't miss the over-enthusastic sub of the JVC if you've never experienced it. It really is a little overblown. The 5.1 sound of the Panasonic is pretty damn marvellous - especially for an all-in-one TV.

5. Elgreco

Elgreco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that reassurance Thespian I too was between the two, though the 32inch. I ordered tha Panny, due any day now, might need some help setting it up by the sound of it.

6. thespian

thespian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nah, you won't need help. Just sit back and bask in the feel good feeling of a really top notch TV/AV combo system.

Enjoy.