1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny TX-32PM1 & Improving quality? NOVICE help!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by KopiteLad, Oct 24, 2004.

1. KopiteLad

KopiteLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought this set, and im initially impressed.

I also bought a Sony DAV-SC5 all in one system. Just a couple of issues for my inexperienced self.

1 - When I watch a DVD I can see whats on the television moving about in sillouhettes in the background across the screen. Initially, i think its the poor quality scarts ive got in, but i dont know which ones to repace them with to get the best out of the system? or what sort of scart i should be after?

2 - What else can I do to get the maximum benefits out of the TV and cinema system?

I am a complete novice, and have no idea what i should be doing 'as a rule'.

can you point me in the right direction? :lease:

Thanks. :hiya:

2. KopiteLad

KopiteLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone? :( :lease:

3. Andy_t

Andy_t
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had the same problem with my girlfriend's DVD player and TV. Initially I blamed the TV but found out that the DVD player wasn't set to RGB output for the scart socket. Check that your DVD player is set to RGB scart output and not composite or something else and see if that fixes it. As for decent scart cable, the Ixos 611 is excellent and really does make a difference from the crappy £5 ones.

4. Blake77

Blake77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    @ Kopite Lad

I am confident that your problem can be solved by cutting the wire to pin 19
    in the Scart Plug that goes into the TV I have a 4 year old Panny DK1 and when I bought it it was the first thing I did as I have experienced this problem before. After cutting the wire mark the plug accordingly (saves confusion in the future if the plug is removed)

I will leave others to answer your second point !.

5. KopiteLad

KopiteLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blake....

also noticed last night that there is a faint muffled sound from the TV station playing in the background as well.

Also, was watching a DVD last night and the TV was set to Panasonic Auto for the screen type.....every so often it would flick between 16:9 and Widescreen, and it was very annoying....is this just the auto kicking in, or the DVD player?

Thanks

6. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    The auto mode on Panny TVs is very sensitive. Mine tends to flick back to 16:9 if the picture is very dark. The auto mode works by detecting black areas at the border of the picture and I think an overly dark picture can confuse it. I'm not sure why, however, it doesn't try to overcompensate for the dark picture rather than reintroduce the borders. :confused:

7. KopiteLad

KopiteLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So do you have it set to wide [or whatever] rather than auto?

8. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    "Wide" is set automatically when the broadcast image (or DVD in your case) fills the screen without any adjustment being necessary. It will adjust to this even if you set the aspect to a fixed ratio. On the Star Wars DVDs, the picture is set up so that it is read as being "Wide" even though there are borders. "Auto" tells the TV to adjust the picture so that it fills the screen, and "16:9" etc fixes the ratio, leaving in any borders in the broadcast image.

I generally leave mine set on "Auto" (unless I am watching a 4:3 broadcast), but if I find that the picture keeps adjusting because of a dark scene, then I sometimes switch to 16:9.

9. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I would also buy the DVE disk to help get the setup right

10. KopiteLad

KopiteLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ???

11. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    DVE stands for Digital Video Essentials - it's a DVD of test patterns and the like to help with the calibration of a TV. You can get it from places like Play and Amazon.

It's designed for the experienced user and doesn't have detailed instructions on how to use the patterns, but it's pretty good otherwise. Failing that, all of the Star Wars movie discs (and others) have a THX optimiser utility on them, which also contains test patterns and stuff.

12. KopiteLad

KopiteLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if its for the 'experienced user' and doesnt have detailed instructions, what benefits am I [as a complete novice] going to get out of it? :(

13. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    If you've got either The Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones DVD, try the optimiser on there before deciding whether or not to try DVE.

14. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    The DVE disk can be used by non technical people but it also can assist those who want to go much deeper in setting up a TV.

Also in terms of getting the best from your TV, dont overlook cables and some have claimed improvements by upgrading the mains cables