1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny TH50PHW6 for 4.5K bargin yes/no

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mseabroo, Jun 22, 2004.

1. mseabroo

mseabroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I've seen the TH50PHW6 advertised for 4.5K +£40 delivery
    Which seems to be a lot cheaper than the other couple of sites that I have looked at.
    Or are there other retailers out there pusheding these out for around the same money that I have not come across yet ?
    If so who ?

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well it's a lot less than I paid for mine :mad:

Is that price from Crampton & Moore by any chance ?

I think you'll find it hard to beat that price unless you don't mind getting the black model which can be had for around that price from AV Sales and others.

Cheers, Lee

3. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    re the black model, i was wondering why it is so much cheaper than the silver one, i've got a feeling it's not as good functionaly, am I right or are they both the same?

4. mseabroo

mseabroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    yes most definitely was Crampton & Moore.
    Hum decisions decisions, can I persuade wife central to invest now or wait and see what the 7 series brings

very tempting at that price though

5. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    As far as I know they are exactly the same just a different colour bezel.

The specification is exactly the same but I am not sure about the warranty side of things as I guess you would have to deal with a different section of Panasonic.

The reason for the price difference is that the silver model is sold via a different part of Panasonic...still does not explain the difference though.

Cheers, Lee

6. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The thing with waiting is that you may never get anything as there will allways be a new model around the corner.

Also just because it's a new model does not mean it will be any better. The 5 series was not as good as the old 4 series according to those in the know.

Cheers, Lee

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    Hello all

I don't tend to supply the Silver units so cant say if that's a great price or not - certainly it would leave us making little or nothing on a Charcoal unit.

No major differences between the Silver or Charcoal units on the technical front - as others have said you may find it more or less hassle to deal with Panasonic Consumer (Silver bezel) than Panasonic Business Systems (Charcoal bezel) if you ever have a technical or warranty issue; though you have to keep in mind your first port of call is your dealer.

Just a quick word re the Series 4, 5 and 6 issues - there has been no major differences between the 50" HD Display in each of these releases; I'd say the 50" has gradually gotten better with each generation; especially so for those who don't have mega bucks DVD players and the like as the deinterlacing of Interlaced video has improved on the 50" units every time we get a new release.

The unit that has had (for me) a chequered history is the Standard Definition 42" Display - the High Definition 42" Display, like the 50" Display, has been much more consistent.

Best regards

Joe

8. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hey Joe,

Interesting that you say no 'major' differences between the two...does that mean that there are differences ? and if so what.

Cheers, Lee

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    Hello Lee

As before I don't have much 'hands on' time with the 'Silver' displays - in the past there have been the odd User Menu difference between the Displays aimed at the Consumer and the Professional end user; usually the Consumer models had simplified 'Top Level' menu adjustments.

Other minor differences will be that the Consumer (Silver) models will usually come bundled with SCART or RCA terminal boards whilst the Professional (Charcoal) units will usually come with no boards bundled and the 'recommended' Boards use BNC rather than RCA (and any dealer with half decent eye sight will advise you never to use the SCART board in the 50" Display!).

Best regards

Joe