1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny TH42PWD6 mains cable rating

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mrsimes, Nov 25, 2003.

1. mrsimes

mrsimes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear group,

I am preparing for the purchase of a Panny 6 (just seen the Nexnix deal today!!!!! :clap: looking good).

I've bought a high quality IXOS scart lead which I've run from my DVD player up the (unused) chimney in a piece of downpipe. I now need to run a suitable mains cable. It'll need to be 5 metres in length. What current rating should I buy? 3 amp, 5 amp, 13 amp? Also should I buy standard mains cable or a higher, shielded grade?

Just looking for recommendations please.

Thanks in advance,

Si

2. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well a plasma will consume 1 Amp at the most, but go for the highest rated cable, as that will have less impedance (which is better):)

3. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I changed the mains lead that came with my panny 6 for a Merlin Black Widow and it made all softness vanish and definately improved the graduation effect that happens a bit.

Don't thing merlin do a 5 meter cable but i would definately go for a decent cable.

4. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Should I also get a mains smoothing system such as one from RA (Russ Andrews) ?
    I wonder if this would also improve the picture.

Someone did suggest using brasso on the mains plug pins, stating that it actually did improve his hi-fi sound !

Steve.

5. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    The widow i used is stated as "RF Filtered", i was doubtful if it would make a difference until i tried it and it really works. Not miracle levels of improvement but a definate step up in quality (i check it using monsters inc, toilet scene, the doors showed real bad graduation before, much less stated now). I also tried it in my marantz 5200 amp but found the sound too harsh for music so took it out.

Never tried a russ andrews, but they seem to be quite well regarded.

As for brasso, dubious but i've heard that too. I would guess you would need a v.high end kit to notice that kind of difference.

6. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK I may be the wrong person to say this due to my serious lack of self contol when it comes to AV but GET A GRIP guys. What possible differnce will a couple of meters of high grade mains cable make when you house wiring will consist of bog standard gray 15p a meter romex.

Before the eleitricity reaches your spur it will have gone through 10s of joints due to wring power circuites in loops and will be connected to your supply using the cheapest of terminal blocks.

You can buy filters to remove noise from the supply but their overall effect is highly subjective. If you want to have the same effect and protect you equipment from mains born disturbences then go for a good quality computer UPS. These will prevent brown outs black outs over voltage voltage drops spikes and noise. Cost upwards of £100.

Phil

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    RFI is quite simple to measure around cables (all sorts) and on the mains, the effect of high RFI is both audible, visual and easily measured. As an amateur I certainly have all the kit needed to show these differences to anyone. It can be there, it is measurable, it can make a huge difference or none at all depending on whether you have a problem. Why is that surprizimg?