Panny TH42PW6 and upgrading to HDMI/DVI

darkness1

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've been building my system for a few years now and bought a plasma finally last year. Now the plasma i have is a TH42PW6 which isn't a digital panel. From reading articles on the net i understand that digital is around the corner where sky will be broadcasting within a years time digital tv. So would it be best if i sold my panel locally before it's worthless when digital arrives
and upgrade now?

If not hows best to improve my system?

Panel pw6
Amp Yamaha dsp a2
dvd player Toshiba sd210
connection via component
fronts Mission 780's
Sub PSW 2500
Centre kef Q6C
Rears Q compacts

to improve quality i suggest a better DVD player, "digital" do you mean Hi - def? if so it is miles offf and compatible kit is expensive at the moment.......Why not upgrade DVD player get a scaler and have the lot calibrated? easy way to burn £1500 and will improve PQ as well :)

Thanks horny Dragon, what dvd player do you recommend? I have been looking at the panny dvd players/recorders with hdd like the dvdre85 etc. However i would demo both dvd player and dvd/recorder.
Plus do you have any scaler in mind?

IMO dvd recorders/ hdd combos compromise pic quality - you're better off getting a standalone deck - of which there are many, recommended in this forum over 400/500 quid (Arcam/Pioneer to name but a few) which will do your panny justice - remember however, it is a law of diminishing returns - you won't necessarily get a 5 times improvement by spending 5 times as much cash :lesson:

I guess an audition with a friendly retailer might be on the cards

for scaler the iscan HD/HD+ or Lumagen DVi are ideal (iscan have audio delay and easier to set-up) Lumagen more tweekable.........................
as for DVD dont waste your money on HDMI/DVi players there is a stonking deal on the Tosh SD9500 (i think thats model number) on Ebay £400 (were £1300+) and brand new!!! otherwise denon 2900, and Arcam DV88+ are other top quality decks

Thanks for the tip off on the SD 9500, i've just ordered one today :)
Plus i've found a company to make it multi region.

hornydragon said:
for scaler the iscan HD/HD+ or Lumagen DVi are ideal (iscan have audio delay and easier to set-up) Lumagen more tweekable.........................
as for DVD dont waste your money on HDMI/DVi players there is a stonking deal on the Tosh SD9500 (i think thats model number) on Ebay £400 (were £1300+) and brand new!!! otherwise denon 2900, and Arcam DV88+ are other top quality decks

HD - What's the problem with HDMI players? I was planning on getting one to go with a 500 Viera...

IMO they are market BS over performance you pay 50% for the HDMI output 50% for the rest of the player.... an arcam DV88+/89 Denon 2900 or tosh SD900/9500 are better units......... dont forget what do you do when Blu-Ray or Sky HD comes along and your only HDMI is filled with your DVD player????
DVD video is stored on the disc in component format very very few HDMI players can output the DVD disc in native Arcam can.........with the PV500 i will ahve to wait till i have compared a simialr price HDMI deck to component deck (AV4 is designed for panny recorders anyway) but for my mind and money its not worth it....yet, it may be but we will have to wait and see........................some displays do look better fed from HDMI, Pioneer XDE range for example but thats not because HDMI is better but the Sharp designed media box is a bit pants with analogue video especially component and RGB scart................... Go demo and see if you think its worth it...(i would hold back on a big DVD player upgrade and get it calibrated instead

Yep sure is an hell of un upgrade but find me another dvd player as good for new at £400 and i've found a source that will multi region it for £50. imo this with some good cabling should complete my system. On the point of HDMI/DVI i've demo'd an HDMI plasma twice the cost as my Panny and i went for the panny. I just see digital as an arm and two legs for the latest rage.

Thanks HD, can't find them anywhere on ebay. Already gone I guess, too much of a bargain me thinks.

Yes i think they've all gone Andy. They told me that i had the last one, i thought it may have been a sales ploy but obviosly not. The company was MK TV tel i think is 01493668807.

I'm wondering now not knowing alot about scalers which one will give me optimum picture quality/against cost with my Toshiba SD9500 good leads through component to the TH42PW6 ?

Andy give mk a call i heard that someone bought 10 off mk recently. Just a thought.

Horny Dragon, i've looked at a scaler for the th42pw6 to go with my SD9500 Tosh. The guy at iscan suggested that i spend at least £400 on a scaler to get significant benifit. Do you know much about these scalers?

ps i'm looking a 6 months to a year down the road on this upgrade if worth the ££££ ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom