1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny TH42PE50 - my comments

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by x5tjf, May 19, 2005.

1. x5tjf

x5tjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I eventually had the time to set up my new plasma TV last weekend and then watch a couple of DVDs. I am very impressed with the PQ from the DVDs. I used a Panasonic DMRES10 DVD recorder with the component output connected to the component video input of the TV and got an excellent picture (set to use progressive scan). My previous TV was an old Sony 29" Trinitron set so I cannot compare to another plasma set.

The in-built DVB receiver gives a good picture also, but not as good as the DVD. I guess this is to be expected from a broadcast source. I have just got hold of an iScan Pro video scaler so I am going to try my external Sony VTX-D800U DVB receiver connected through the iScan Pro to the component input of the TV to see if this gives any improvement in PQ over the in-built DVB receiver, for watching broadcast TV.

The built in speakers are OK but not very impressive, I have connected a seperate surround sound system and turned the TV volume all the way down. I guess that is what most buyers of this type of TV will do, so I think that panny have spent the money on the display and not worried about the audio very much. Which is OK for me. :smashin:

I have also just bought the PAL DVE disc to help me set up the system and this looks like a very useful tool. I had a couple of annoying rattles in the room around 30Hz and 40Hz and the DVE disk helped me track one down to a loose glass panel in a door and the other to somewhere in my piano. I still have to fix them though :(

All in all, I am very pleased with the set so far.

Terry