1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny TH42PE30

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Simeo, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Simeo

Simeo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all! first post here, but i was needing some help and this looked like the place where the answers could be found :)
    Basically i just went ahead and bought a TH42PE30, but since have started to have nagging feelings about wether or not it was right considering how it isnt set up for HDTV at all.

So i was just wondering in all is this a good TV now, as opposed to when it was first released, and will they be releasing a DVI board for it?
    Any help is greatly appreciated,

Simon

2. dempsey

dempsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, The PE30 isn't set up in any way for expansion as far as connections go. Its scart and component with no option of upgrading to anything else.

:rolleyes:

3. theredstar

theredstar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All depends on how likely you are to get HDTV. Sky aren't rolling it out until mid 2006, and then only on a limited basis.

Terrestrial digital isn't going to broadcast it intil they free up the bandwidth by turning off analogue. And God only knows when that will be (2010?).

TBH I'm not worried about HDTV. By the time it's widespread enough to bother me, then I'll be in the market for a new set. I wouldn't let it be the main determinant in buying a set now. Obviously, if you can get HDTV compatability as well, then fine, but otherwise I wouldn't lose any sleep.

4. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Well this is something you should have thought about before buying the Panasonic. I bought the same set before Christmas and you cannot doubt it is a fantastic tv. I have not read one bad report about it, it gets 5 stars by all its reviewers. It has just lost its crown in the What Hifi mag to the new Pioneer XDE but that was only because of the picture quality via digital connections.

It depends what type of person you are if you have to have the latest piece of technology. I suspect not, and suspect you have only began to doubt your purchase after reading more info on HD after purchasing your Panny.

Basically I wouldn't worry about it, I am not, you have an excellent tv that does everything you want it too at an excellent level. If you had wanted to go down the HD option you would have needed to buy a new dvd player that has the digital connections, be prepared to pay out for a new HD Sky box, pay for HD subscriptions, and be prepared to act as a guinea pig for the new Sky box whilst it gets sorted out; as well as buy digital cables. HD will obviously be a better picture but it will be a while before HD becomes commonplace in the home, in the meantime, enjoy your tv, let it live out its life and then invest in a HD screen when it dies, by then HD will be commonplace, cheaper and all the bugs will be sorted out with Sky.

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    I cant belive all the fuss about HDTV and will my tv be able to handle it.

Step back for a moment and see the big picture. In this country there are hundreds of thousands of homes that still watch analoge tv from a standard arieal. There are also people that have sky digital, ( the vast majoraty of which) dont even know what hdtv is. They are all sitting there perfectly happy with thier televisons that a 2 or 3 or 4 years old. The generall public will not all of a sudden go out a start buying televisons just to take advantage of a subscription service from sky that offers a slightly better picture quality.
    The bottom line of this is, is that if you have a display that will be able to handle HD, then thats great. If you havent then it does not matter. HDTV may be the bees knees and may be comming very soon, but it wont all of a sudden make your display absoleet, and you wont wake up one morning and not be able to watch programing from sky. :D
    Oh and for the record I own a 37" Viera and am very happy with it. :thumbsup:

6. Simeo

Simeo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey, thanks for the info guys. Really helped put it into perspective concerning the HDTV, obviously when it comes to buying a set such as this its a big deal, especially since im only a 19 year old student its a lot of money and i havent bought anything like this before, but ive gone full circle now and am looking forward to getting my set on monday :D

Just had the Sky+ guys round not half an hour ago so im all set now, thanks once again for the info! i'll be sticking round these forums as its obvious this is where the knowledge is concerning this stuff :)

7. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Simeo, Ihave viera 42 and its lovely. I'll wait 3 or 4 years, look at HDTv and may or may not change then. Relax, youve got a beautiful bit of kit.

19 year old student buys viera and Sky?
    What are you studying? Banking. with lectures in investments by Nick Leeson? :D

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    I bought a Viera in November fully realising HDTV is round the corner. The reason I did so is for the same reasons that the above have mentioned. I needed a big screen (well bigger than me CRT) with a small footprint. I knew that hi-def is still a few years off and am willing to dip into the market in 5 years time to upgrade. But until then wanted a great plasma with good broadcast quality and easy to use for the family. The PE30 fitted the bill perfectly and am thoroughly impressed. I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

9. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    If sky do release HDTV you will need a new box and leads ect as already stated, the extra subcription will cover probably 1 channel for the forst year at least, I would guess at it being 4-5 years at least before all of sky is on HDTV maybe longer, then they wont switch off norm sky, Is analougue sky still available. I think it is.
    I think realistically 6-8 years is more of time scale before HDTV has a big impact. Terestrial TV is on till 2012 now I think.
    And as for sky look at how many channels broadcast DD, Sky+ was going to all this and more when it was thrown into the market.

I have just bought a 37" viera ( delivering this afternoon) and looked at the HDTV but got what I wanted rather what future technology dictated.

10. Simeo

Simeo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it came yesterday, looks absolutley beatuiful out of the box, much better than it did in the shop, already im not doubting my purchase anymore, but had a problem mounting it :eek:

Got the universal wall mount (Ocean UM1 I believe), but it didnt come with any screws to put the plate onto the wall, its going onto a brick wall obviously but with the weight of the Panny been 41kg I was hesitant to put it onto the wall with anything less than 4inch steel screws, which of course I didnt have enough of :zonked:
    So im going to get some of these today, any insight into if this is the best choice or if theres something else I should be using? I just cant believe that out of the box the mount didnt come with either the screws to put it onto the wall, or at least a reccomendation about what type to us.

11. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They never supply screws for wall mounting. I have put mine on a brick wall and used 8 6mm bolts and had to drill 10mm holes to take them. Just make sure you can swing off it first lol. Good luck

12. Anthall

Anthall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I agree when HDTV is up and running i will consider purchasing
    a new panel for the lounge. We get to see all the teething problems
    of other users. Then bang the old viera in the bedroom.
    Jobs a gud un.

Atleast there will be one thing in the bedroom then
    which might inpress the ladies.

:zonked:

13. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anthall, If you bang the viera in the bedroom I'm not sure the ladies will be real impressed. :laugh:

14. Anthall

Anthall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    mmm, good point. :thumbsup:

15. Simeo

Simeo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey.
    finally got this thing up on the wall yesterday, looks absolutley huge.
    The thing is ive been going through the settings and I cant seem to get a really good picture out of it, ive got my panny dvd player going straight into the qlinked av4 of it via a thor scart, and my Sky+ going to AV1 via the same type of cable, so it should be looking excellent but theirs faint ghosting on most of the images.
    Any tips or ideas on settings etc?
    cheers

16. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have you set skybox and dvd to output RGB?
    Makes a huge difference.
    Otherwise let us know what settings they are on

17. Simeo

Simeo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey.
    ive since set the DVD output to RGB and theyre looking great.
    As of now my settings are:

DVD (Panasonic DMR-E75V): 16:9, AV1 output RGB

Plasma: Set to Panasonic Auto, in Dynamic mode, colour balance is normal, P-NR is off, MPEG NR is Max

Sky: Picture format is 16:9, Video output is RGB, Contrast is low

Any kind of tweaking I should be doing with these settings?

18. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Might be an idea to switch out of 'Dynamic' mode for the first couple of weeks use as this is the most vibrant. Cinema or Normal etc.

19. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    dont use dynamic at all,
    Do all adjustments in either normal or cinema mode, cinema wil hold the black level better, Normal will give a slightly sharper image.

20. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mr. David, sir, are you firmly based in the camp of 'Cinema is best'? ... we rigged up our Viera and turned her on to the dazzling Dynamic (shipping) mode. Within moments we had flicked around, resting on Cinema. We did imagine we would go back through the settings to ride back up to Dynamic when the time was right (after our eyes had adjusted back to levels lower than what the sun emits) but hey, we never did. After occasional tweak sessions (3 - 5 mins. work tops) we figured, hhmmm, Cinema is best anyway.

We quite liked the terminology 'Cinema' anyhow, so it was a pleasant and warm conclusion.

21. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Yup :D Everyone obviously has different preferences but Cinema mode is my fave.

S.

22. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Well, Gordon from the forums actually did a calibration on the set. After this we both concluded that cinema gives a more acurate coulur balance and hold the black level better. You can see this with a copy of digital video essentails and some of the test patterens. Normal mode when set by the paterens for contrast level and brigtness tends to vary in the level of black being displayed and is less acurate , but the image to me seems a bit sharper. I dont know if I would say Cinema is best, after all it comes down to personal taste, I would just stay away from dynamic as even when the contrast is turned down the colour seems a bit to saturated for my taste.

23. Simeo

Simeo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey!
    thanks for the tips! the dvd player is looking pretty awesome now and so is the SKY+, using the plasma as my pc monitor at this moment to post this, I really didnt think the PC would look that good on it but boy was I wrong! :D

The only aspect I have any qualms with now is the following: IM using my Panasonic Gamecube as my multiregion dvd player (and as the games machine it is) since the DMR-E75V doesnt have multi-region capabilites and I cant find any unlock code etc for it, however the only output on the back of the Panasonic Q (except composite - yuck!) is S-Video, so im using the front svideo connection on the plasma, but it looks really nasty and blotchy, tried fiddling with the settings but im sure thats not the problem as everything else is looking excellent. and it cant be the svideo lead cause on any other TV it looks fine.

Any ideas why this would be

-Simeo

24. Simeo

Simeo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey.
    Anyone know if I put it back to 'shipping condition' wether or not the image settings are all reset as well as the tuning?
    Just want to start over from scratch with fine tuning it.