1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panny TH42HD PLASMA Vs PIO 50MXE

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Twan1, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Twan1

Twan1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    hiya all, as far as piture quality goes im just wondering if anyone has reviewed these 2 plasmas to which is best???

I'm looking to buy one shortly to run with my sdi modded dvd player and either a lumagen hdp or a crystalio (connected by the dvi/hdmi boards in the plasmas)??

Any advice on the 2 would be much appriciated!
    Thanks

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    are you really comparing a 42 and 50? suggest you try some dealers for demo or two mate

3. Twan1

Twan1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    oops my bad! meant the 2 50" models--display version only not the TV versions with the tuner

4. Twan1

Twan1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    anyone???

5. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well neither is better than other really...they are just different...each with their own pro's and con's.

So you really need to get some demo's sorted to see which you like.

I owned a series 6 panny 50"er and now have the Pio 50MXE1.

The panny has the deeper, blacker, blacks but at the expense of fine shadow detail. The colours I find more vibrant on the Pio and it is brighter.

If your going to use an external scaler then the MXE1 is able to accept it's native resolution via DVI at both 50Hz and 60Hz resulting in very smooth motion/pans...the drawback though is that it's DVI input is not HDCP compliant but if your goinf SDI than that's not a concern now and they are working on a HDMI expansion board which will be HDCP.

The panny is a nighmare when it comes to either it's DVI or HDMI blades...the DVI blade will only work at 60Hz for native resolution and I think that HDMI blade will be the same. So you would be best using the VGA input.

Hope that helps a little.

Cheers, Lee

6. Twan1

Twan1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    thanks again lee, looks like the pio is coming out on tops again, there are some great deals around at the moment of about £3600 mark for the 50" pio which is really tempting.

In your honest opinion do you think buying the pio nbow would be a good option or would you wait a few months to see a few more options come to light?

7. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I might be wrong but I don't think much is going to happen in the next couple of months - certainly not a new plasma from either Panasonic or Pioneer anyway...the series 8 panny will be announced towards the end of the year as usuall I guess and Pioneer may release another plasma TV but I think the MXE1 will be around for a while yet.

You might find out more about the HDMI input on the panny, and the third-party cards for the Pionner may surface, prices may well drop some more but that's about it.

I can't see either iScan or Lumagen releasing anything this year and the Cyrstalio is still current but they are releasing their Plasma Enhancer product which looks like a slightly cut-down version to me.

So unless you want to wait up to six months or more I'd say go for it...the only real downside to the Pio at this moment is the lack of a HDCP compliant digital input which will be an issue when Sky HD is released but there are ways around this via the promised third-party boards and maybe even Pioneer themselves will release an input board.

Cheers, Lee

8. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    So you won't see any judder on the MXE1?

Please explain SDI, how will SDI help bypassing HDCP?

9. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    With the MXE1 you can alter the FRC (Frame Rate Conversion) setting such that 50Hz sources are converted to 100Hz and 60Hz sources remain at 60Hz resulting in no judder...it shows the smoothest panning shots I have seen on a plasma and works extremely well with an external scaler.

SDI stands for Serial Digital Interface and is a modification which can be applied to certain DVD players and Sky+ V1 boxes...you can also buy pre-modified devices as well.

Basically it takes its output directly from the MPEG decoder on the device before it has been messed with and is output via a BNC connector fitted to the rear of the device. So it is the purest signal you can get from a device and is free from any HDCP encryption. This signal can then be fed to a suitable external scaler as it only outputs either a 576i or 480i signal.

Cheers, Lee

10. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9

Sounds great, maybe a 43MXE1 and Iscan HD+ with SDI modd(need the audio-delay feature) coupled with a modified Denon 3910 modded with SDI seems to be the great combo right?

Can you get better specs than the above combo if you are not going 50" of course?

11. Andyuk911

Andyuk911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Lee, can a Lumagen ProHDP using SDI input talk to a Pio 435 XDE ? - Thanks Andy

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Hi Andy,

Yes it can but not at native rate. Best bet n that scenario is DVI out to HDMI input of media box at 720P/50Hz and 59.94 Hz

Gordon

13. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have no real experience of the iScan HD+ as I went for the Lumagen. The audio delay feature is very neat though. Even though my amp has an audio delay feature I have not found that I have needed to use it yet in my set-up...and I am pretty susceptible to it as well.

Take a look in the Power Buy section as Elliot from PJ HiFi is the chap to speak to about getting your 3910 SDI modified, or he’ll sell one pre-modified too…he should be doing mine soon…he might also recommend the Lumagen as well though.

The only other I would recommend is getting the whole set-up calibrated properly by someone like Gordon @ Convergent AV once it’s all settled in as it does make a difference.

Cheers, Lee