• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panny TH37PX70 or LCD Equivalent

jjohnn

Standard Member
Hi all, I need some advice, I was looking at the Toshiba 37X3030 lcd or Samsung LE37R88BD until I noticed the Panasonic TH37PX70... Now I dont know what to go for and my head hurts after reading so many reviews:eek:. All are around the £650 mark.
It will be used as a main tv for watching sky+ (not HD, program types include soaps, footy, motor sports and films) and DVDs (not HD) and playing with a Wii so I guess non HD performance is key?? but what do I know (very little)
HELP...please:

arrowst

Standard Member
Similar to the OP, I'm trying to decide between the Samsung LCD and Panasonic Plasma. For me, it seems to be a decision between the extra quality of the Panasonic picture, and the slightly more peace of mind I'd get from an LCD. I am leaning towards the Plasma though.

Could someone clarify what it means in the review posted by gbmitie, where it says it is not a full 1080p TV? I thought the PX70 was a 1080P set - is it talking about the resolution??

Lin3ar

Distinguished Member
Similar to the OP, I'm trying to decide between the Samsung LCD and Panasonic Plasma. For me, it seems to be a decision between the extra quality of the Panasonic picture, and the slightly more peace of mind I'd get from an LCD. I am leaning towards the Plasma though.

Could someone clarify what it means in the review posted by gbmitie, where it says it is not a full 1080p TV? I thought the PX70 was a 1080P set - is it talking about the resolution??

When it says not full 1080p it means that due to the lower resolution of the panel it can't display 1080p material.It will accept a 1080p signal though, just that it will down scale it to the native resolution of the panel.The lower resolution of the plasma will not be a problem.There is no way you will see any difference between 1080p and 1080i/720p on a 37" screen(unless you are sitting 3 feet away)

As for the choice between LCD and Plasma, my choice would be the plasma every time (it gives a far more natural picture to my eyes) especially if you are going to be watching mostly SD material (where plasma is streets ahead IMHO)

buckaroo

Standard Member
One very important thing that people seem to forget to do, besides checking out a TV's stats and pixels, is find out how the thing operates. I couldn't decide between the Panny and the Phillips 5532, until I DL'd their manuals and read 'em. The Phillips one was far too convoluted compared to Panasonic's, and I say this as someone who isn't a technophone. What also swung it, is that the Panny can 'talk' to my DVD player via the Q link / Viera thingy :D

So...IMHO, don't just look up the specs, find out how easy or hard the TV is to use everyday.

YellowSphere

Prominent Member
To be fair, Philips' TVs are very easy to use, they just write terrible terrible manuals.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom