1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny TH37PW7 - newbie concerns, might interest those looking at the RS deal

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by staffs_dave, May 4, 2005.

1. staffs_dave

staffs_dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, have just joined having got a TH37PW7 on the RS deal people are looking at (screen + tuner/media box + stand).

I've been playing around with the set-up and was getting a bit frustrated as I could only get into the screen's set-up menus with the tuner switched off - particularly irritating as this means no picture on screen, so you can't see what adjustments you've made).

Anyway, I trawled a lot of posts yesterday to see what I could find out and it appears from past threads that the tuner box 'disables' the screen's functionality, so you have to use the tuner's set-up menus etc. This leads me to my main concern - I think I'm right in saying that this means that I can't do things like enable the screensaver functionality which, in turn means that I can't watch any non 16:9 DVDs or TV programs (through my freeview digi box / HDD recorder) without risking screen burn being caused by the the 'black bits'. This sounds a bit hard to swallow having just forked out over a grand!!!

Can any of you helpful souls confirm this please?

Cheers,
    Dave

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes the media box is a ludicrous thing, sorry. You can flog it on ebay and do something sensible instead though, get a video board or so.

3. staffs_dave

staffs_dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that MAW - I'm going to back to Richers this afternoon. I didn't want the tuner/media box in the first place as I already have a digital tuner/HDD. I only bought the thing because they advised me that there was only one input slot on the screen, so I'd need it to connect my DVD player & the digi box. Not best pleased as you can imagine. :mad:

I'm going to see if they'll agree to take back the tuner/media kit & replace with two scart input bords - I can but ask!

Anybody want to start a sweep on whether I'll be successfull?

Cheers

4. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I thought RS offered a 14-day moneyback guarantee? So you should have no problems(famous last words!)

Reading the other threads it might be best to go for another input board if your connections permit as the scart one is not meant to be that good.

Steve

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well as they "lied" to you the PW7 has 2 inputs board slots and a VGA connection I would politle speak to the manager. You may be beter off asking for a refund on the tuner box and buying a JS RGB>VGA converter and a component board elsewhere. Component board if DVD has component out (there are 10 different ways you can hook this up so get rid of tuner and come back we'll sort you out dont worry about their scare stories.
    "Bunch of Monkeys" is a phrase that i often use.

6. staffs_dave

staffs_dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Horny - I've phoned then and the manager is out until tomorrow, so I'm going to pop down to see him.

Looks like I need to do some research first though. Currently have a cheap & cheerful sony DVD with only scart out plus the Thomson HDD (ditto I think).

Although the DVD upgrade is next on my list, I doubt 'er indoors will be too keen after last weekend's credit card work-out

Both hooked into a Denon Av amp (AVR1905) which does have a lot of outputs to play with.

Short story is that I'll prolly have to make do with scarts for now anyway.

What do you think?

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    scart boards at RS are £150 JS tech converter to VGA is £125 Component card £85 (av-sales prices) so dont buy scart baords that will need replacing in a month anway, see if RS will let you exchange the tuner box and card for a component board (they did have some stock) and a new DVD player (pio 575 or similar) there is a huge What DVD player under £250 thread in DVD player forum. Does the 1905 up convert from Composite or S-video to component? (if it does feed thomson and DVD to AMP and AMP to screen mounted component card ) this puts you on your way to a proper system...

EDIT Just checked the 1905 has 3 sets of component in (SUPERB :smashin: ) S-video conversion (pray thomson will output S-video via scart or S-vide connector, 4 pin mimi DIN) so get a new DVD player instead of tuner box (pio 575 Cambridge 540 etc) order component card from www.av-sales.com order cables from www.TVcables.co.uk an hopefully by saturday you will have a fully running system Video> amp then to screen one cbale top PQ!

8. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    If you get the component board then can you not run the DVD and HDD into the amp(using S-Video) and the component out of the amp(presume the amp does component switching?) into the plasma?

9. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Doh! Got interrupted whilst typing my reply and HD got there first! Got to be quick off the line with HD lurking around :smashin:

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    steve JR great minds! :) yes your current DVD player should output S-video so can send both to amp via S-video an lket amp convert to component (but how about a good reason for a new DVDP)

" he would only exchange it for this DVD player/recorder love"

11. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Thanks for the compliment HD but am not in your league yet. Don't even own a screen yet as DIY :( and wedding :clap: comes first

Just keep reading the threads and dreaming of what I could own one day ;)

12. staffs_dave

staffs_dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, thanks guys - good info.

I need to go and check what connectivity I've got when I get home, but:

Off the top of my head, the Thomson does have an S-video output, but I don't think the DVD has anything other than scart.

I also have a feeling that the amp won't up-convert to component, so I'm guessing I'd still be struggling to get hooked up with what I've currently got.

Maybe a horrible short-term solution is to get one scart input board for now and route everything via the amp's good old fashioned composite out (am I allowed to say things like that in this forum?), then when the finances allow me to upgrade the DVD player, I can get a component board for that and route the Thomson direct via what will then be the 'old' scart input.

Is this where I find out how niaive I am???

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    right i have checked at www.denon.com and the amp has "S-video conversion" so its promising, and your sony would bethe first DVD player i have seen for a long time with no S-video output......So i think we are on
    PS i sent you a PM

Right glanced at manual and it does composite>S-video and vice versa only.... so instead of a component board, order the Dual slot component and S-video board use S-video now and component later.... (is panel wall mounted)

14. staffs_dave

staffs_dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right glanced at manual and it does composite>S-video and vice versa only.... so instead of a component board, order the Dual slot component and S-video board use S-video now and component later.... (is panel wall mounted)[/QUOTE]

It's on a stand - does that matter?

OK, so Thomson & DVDP go via S-Video to the amp, then out to screen via S-video cable and S-video board. If I'm right, I think this means that I can get a single slot S-video board for now and get a single slot component board when I can afford the new DVDP.

Makes sense (I think)

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  16. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Dave - Listen to HD. You know he makes sense!

17. staffs_dave

staffs_dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why is ther no 'penny dropped' smiley on this forum?

OK, so finally I get it

1 - I get the £160 input board (s-video & component) from that there site you kindly posted a link to.

2 - When I kick off tomorrow at Richersounds, I swap the media box for a shiny new DVDP with component outputs (which is handy as I've just bought an input board to connect it to). 'er indoors is happy because I haven't spent any money and I get another new toy!

Then, as an afterthought - try to work out why I won't be using any video inputs or outputs on my AV amp! As an aside, I just looked at the Denon site too and it looks like the spec on that has changed, but not the model number which is odd - one of the reasons I bought it was because it had phono inputs for my turntable, but according to their website, this amp doesn't have them now.

Thanks Folks

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    can still use video switching on your AMP (will need to for all the extra "new" toys you will buy...............) Just be aware that the £160 dual slot board has BNC connectors so you will either need a BNC to RCA (phono lug) component lead or 3 adapters that cost a few quid at maplins £1.99 ea i think....

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Any joy with RS dave?

20. staffs_dave

staffs_dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends if you define joy as hearing those magic words "the manager will call you back when he's finished talking to a customer" and then hearing nothing!

However, I think the matter may be resolved by a bit of bunking off work early and a detour into the shop this afternoon.

21. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I guess the ultimate tact Dave is to say that they either take the tuner box back and refund you or you will bring the whole package back and go elsewhere for it! I would hope that the manager would rather lose £200 instead of £1300.

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Let us know how it goes mate.

23. staffs_dave

staffs_dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Results are in - RS sorted me out.

Thanks for all your help on this HD. Richers hadn't got the TY-42TM6Y input board that you suggested, but exchanged the media box for a TY-42TM6V (Composite & S-video input board) and a TY-42TM6Z (component input board) and matched AV-sales price of £160 for the TY-42TM6Y. So I get the same connectivity and a bit more flexibility for the future.

No fuss, no hassle and I came away with a few quid in my pocket too.

Thanks again!

24. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    That's great news Dave. Now all you have to do is plug it all in and post some pics for us!