Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panny TH37-PE30b heaven

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Twilliams, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Twilliams

Twilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, just a little update, after some delivery confusion, and a bit of personal service from the dispatch manager at john Lewis, I got My Panny,Stand, and DMR E55 dvd recorder. after opening the stand box you can really see where the stand £400 price tag comes from, everything is very high quality. stand goes together pretty easily, and the screen itself really needs two people to slide it onto the pins sticking up on the stand. all cables run in groves along the shelves and legs of the stand to conceal everything, so nothing is visible from the front. Plugged it all in turned it on :D
    very nice, and very easy, security program to set up with ya name and address and a password, then the set auto tunes all the channels and sky channel, aslong as all the arials are connected and the Sky box is turned on first. Pic Quality on terrestrial is the same as the old set, Poor which I expected cos the area im in is not too good. the sky digi signal had quiet a bit of banding running diagonally across the screen, though the pic quality was not bad. then I put a dvd in the recorder, the first thing to pop up was a trailer for HELLBOY, which straightaway looked fantastic. the picture was crystal clear and even on the two integrated speakers the sound was very good. Watched Spiderman 2 and was very impressed with the dvd quality.
    did have a funny occurrence with the sound, it kept going on and off on the sky av channel, like a loose connection, didn't resolve that one seems to be working again now, and tonight toot he sky banding has cleared up too, so also have very good pic quality from the sky box. will keep yas posted on further events, anyone who has had similar sound issues let me no please ta.
    Oh and just out of interest the leads I was using where
    SKY to Panny = existing ribbon scart lead (low quality)
    DVD to Panny = THOR scart lead (high quality)
    terrestrial to panny = normal Arial connection
    regards Trev
    :clap:

2. harrison99

harrison99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same set-up. The best connection between the DVD and the TV is a component lead - this allows progressive scan (whatever that is) which gives the best picture quality. You also need a scart to transmit the sound. Toggle the green button (AV4) on the TV's remote until it says AC4C (when the DVD is playing). You also need to set-up the DVD player for progressive scan on its menu.

3. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The experts here say that the viera deinterlacer is better than those in most DVD players, so (unless you have a top of the range DVD) don't set the DVD to progressive. Let the viera do it. The PQ is better and that is how mine is setup with my PanyE55 DVDR.

4. Daddy

Daddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That's interesting, my DVD player does not have component outputs / prog scan. Are you saying the Viera can take a regular RGB scart signal and convert it to prog scan internally ?

5. AndrewTheMuppet

AndrewTheMuppet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Daddy.

All Plasmas are progressive scan as is the raw signal that come off a DVD.
    Players that don't have component output must first interlace the picture before it it sent either to the Scart (RGB/Svideo/Composite) or the S-video outputs.
    The Plasma will then De-interlace it (back to progressive) in order to display it.

If you connect via Component you completely bypass the interlacing and de-interlacing stages so the raw video goes straight from the disc to the screen. This gives the best possible picture quality using analogue inputs.
    DVI-D and HDMI is another story....

Hope this makes sense.

6. Daddy

Daddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Andrew that clears things up a bit.

Is there a decent FAQ on plasmas and the myriad of connectivity possibilities ? The sticky on this forum seemed to just point to reviews.

Thanks.

7. Twilliams

Twilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "The best connection between the DVD and the TV is a component lead - this allows progressive scan (whatever that is) which gives the best picture quality."

cheers for that, So what am i looking at for a decent component lead, make, price and where can i get one :D ta

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    only if DVD players de-interlacer is better than the screens will this hold true...