Panny TH37-PE30 and Upscaling Query

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by lsanvitale, Mar 16, 2006.

1. lsanvitale

lsanvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Please help,

I have a Panny TH37-PE30 and have recently been looking at new DVD players. I know there are a few on the market that will upscale via component such as LG DVX9900 to either 720p or 1080i.

However is my Plasma capable of these resolutions as I thought it was only a resolution of 852x480. I was told my plasma was HD Compatible, which I thought meant it was a HD panel just without the HDMI.

Does this mean that it will not support upscaling to 720i or 1080i?? or if so will it play but scale back down and if so will it ultimately give me a better picture that a standard progressive scan Yamaha DVD player?

All help appreciated,

Regards,

Lee

2. kbj242

kbj242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Basically - No - your TV won't upscale the image because your screen resolution is fixed at the figure you quote. In other words, if you buy an upscaling DVD player, the image will be scaled back down again by the TV.

HD Compatible means it will show HD picutres, but scaled back to the resolution of the screen.

From comments I've seen on other posts, the PE range looks even more stunning than normal with an HD feed.....

I'd forget about the upscaling DVD player though....you won't get the benefit.