1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny TH-**PE - picture settings

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rtownend, Jul 2, 2004.

1. rtownend

rtownend
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There seem to be quite a few owners of these sets on here now and, after mucho messing with my new set for the last week and getting myself thoroughly confused, I was wondering what settings people have found best for them.

There are so many options, each one seemingly affecting some of the others, that, as I say, I've spent the last week tweaking - my wife is about ready to kill me!

Some of the options that seem the most variable are:

- MPEG NR - the results of having this on or off and at various levels seem so variable, depending on what you're watching. Coming from a hi-fi background I usually shy away from any form of "processing", but I wonder if the same rules apply here. Any thoughts anyone?
    - Combination of Sky+ box Contrast setting and the screen Contrast and Sharpness. Again seemingly endless combinations
    - Signal processing of the analogue signal P-NR & 3D-COMB, although these are far less important to me as I rarely watch the analogue side of things

Main use is commercial DVD's and Sky+ connected through DMR-E85 via RGB scart with the E85 connected to the set via RGB scart and component cable.

Any settings that people are happy with gratefully accepted - by my wife too :D

2. osmyth

osmyth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mpeg NR on max, as moving sports just look shimmery otherwise.
    Sharpness fairly low, as high makes it look too processed.
    What I have found is that the viewing modes seem to have underlying settings already, i.e. if you set contrast, etc, to the same on dynamic and normal, then you'd get a different picture.
    Do you find the same?
    I have mine on dynamic set to con 7.5-ish, bri 7-ish, colour 3-ish, sharpness 2.
    Owen.

3. rtownend

rtownend
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Owen,

Thanks for your post. I've tried your settings and I have to say - I like them. Sharp, and with enough contrast, you look like you're getting your money's worth from the plasma - yet not over-processed.

I beleive you are right, there are underlying settings for each of the pre-sets. I mirrored your settings on both Dynamic and Normal, yet the pictures are still different. Oh well, one more variation to factor in!

I'm going to try and leave things alone for a while and try just to watch the darn thing :D

I've just ordered one of Mark Grant's component cables. I may have another look once that's in place.

4. osmyth

osmyth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i'm glad that you've confirmed that i'm not seeing things!