1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny TH-PA20A Plasma - Solarisation/Banding

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Couj, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Couj

Couj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my Panny TH-PA20A plasma for about 6 months now and I love it - with one exception - the panel seems to suffer from what I understand is described as solarisation or banding (ie colours sometimes don't blend together properly). I notice it in some skin tones and background colours. It is present in pictures from both my DVD player and STB. I didn't notice it at first but now I know it is there I can't stop focusing on it.

I tried using a PAL DVE calibration disk but this didn't seem to help that much. From what I have read on this and other forums a scaler may help, but this seems like an expensive route to take if it doesn't work.

I called panasonic to ask them about the problem. They gave me the number of a service agent, who, after having a quick look at the problem and speaking to panasonic, said that all plasma's suffer from this sort of thing but that I should go into stores that have this model plasma and see if this problem is worse on my screen.

Not quite sure what to do about the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone tried using a scaler to fix this problem?

2. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you will find that this is pretty much normal for most plasma sets.
    I have noticed the exact same thing with my 1 week old Hitachi 37" and it's something that doesn't really show up on the HDTV loops that all the stores use to display the PQ on plasma sets down under...
    Another thing I notice and something that I really didn't expect to see is of all things - 'rainbows' the very thing that caused me to avaoid buying a dlp projector! On ceratin scenes from my DVD player or even the built-in tuner of the Hitachi I see rainbows or R G & B flashes of 'after-images' where there is a large area of high contrast in a dark background... :mad:
    Am I the only person in the world seeing rainbows on a plasma? Is it my eyes (doc) or is it my Hitachi ALIS panel or do they all have this problem????

3. chriswynn

chriswynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Angry you are not alone !
    I own a panny 42 pa 20 and see occasionally what you do, But I used to own a philips 9945 and that was 10 times worse.
    After having such a bad plasma I have grown to love my panny so sit back and enjoy it, it still better than a crt or lcd.
    Can I ask you a quick question if I were to look on the web for lost familys in Frankston how would I go about it (web sites etc).

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    No, you aren't. I saw them (for the first time) a few days ago on a Plasma in a high st shop. I, too, was surprised. But there they were!

5. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eee Bah Goom then I am not alone! Thanks for that guys, now I am hoping that the rainbows may 'disappear' as I become used to watching it as they sometimes do with DLP PJ's...
    So I guess they are not due to the Hitachi ALIS panel and it's interlacing function then if theycan also be seen on Panasonic and Philips sets?

Nigel, can you remember what brand set you saw them on in the high st?

Chris I'm not sure how you would contact lost families in Frankston - that happens a lot - very shady place Frankston is these days :)
    If the surname is not so common then let me know and I will look it up in the phone book for you...

Thanks again.

6. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    It's due to temporal dithering (flashing pixels on at off at different frequencies to simulate more shades), the faster you flash the pixel on and off, the brighter it appears, the slower you flash it on/off the dimmer it appears but then the flashing becomes noticable depending on your persistance of vision. The artifact this produces is noticable when the image is moving, on flesh tones and around light sources. It's most noticable on dark grey/blacks because the pixels are flashing the slowest. dark grey + movement is the worst combination. It's less noticable when feeding the plasma a HD image. My Sony (alis) does it, I expect most plasmas do.

7. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the explanation - so it looks as though it's something I will have to live with unless anybody can catagorically state that it is only a symptom of the ALIS panel???

Sorry Couj for hijacking your thread but I think the 'rainbow' effect I see is closely coupled to the solarisation/banding that you see too.

I'm not very happy about this situation - here's a quote direct from the hitachi brochure:

'fast response for motion pictures - plasma tv's are ideally suited for displaying moving images. The fast response resuts in smooth natural moving images'

Well, that is exactly what I am *NOT* getting with my Hitachi set - would this be enough grounds to initiate a refund - "product not working as described"?

8. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    it's probably more noticable on alis panels because they refresh each line at 25th/30th of a second, compared with progressive panels that will do one line in 50th/60th of a second. more lines, half refresh rate.