1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny TH-50PV30 with iScan...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Claus, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Claus

Claus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just installed an iScan HD to my Panasonic Viera 50". Have a couple of questions:

-

-When chosing 720p I get no picture. Isn't this the wisest resolution since my plasma have a 1366x768 resolution?

-When setting the iScan to 1080i I get a picture, but then it must have been downscaled inside the plasma. Is it downscaled to 720p or 576p? or 768p?

-I have a Pioneer 868 HDMI player. When using a HDMI-DVI cable into the DVI input on the iScan I get no picture. Why?

-I don't get a picture when I turn off the progressive output on my Pio DVD player. When it's on it works. Isn't the whole point to send an interlaced signal into the iScan and let iScan scale the signal?

Thanks in advance!

Claus

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    Does it say in your manual that it will accept 720p? I know the 37" and 42" don't that's all.
    Perhaps the Iscan HD is converting the interlaced signal into 720p or whatever you've got it to output and the viera won't accept that. When progressive maybe the Iscan HD isn't converting it so it's getting to the viera as 625p or 480p which it will display? Balls in the air......

Cheers,
    Andy.

3. Claus

Claus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!

A strange thing is when I set the iScan HD to output 1080i it works, or at least I think so...
    When I push the info button on the remote to the plasma the panel says: 1080i component. But the resolution on the Panny is 1366x768, which means it can't show real 1080i. It has to scale it down to something under 768p. But to what does it scale it to?

C

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    I don't think that your model will accept anything other than 480i, 576i , 480p, 576p and 1080i.

Now you want to set up a scaler so it scales to 768p so it scales to the same resolution as your panel, however if your panel doesn't accept this resolution then it really isn't doing much apart from de-interlacing :(

5. Claus

Claus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Gisla!

Thanks for the info. I believe you are right. I haven't compared yet, but is 1080i better than 576p on my panel? What is the panl scaling the 1080i down to?

And anyone know why the Pio868 won't send a s digital signal that works? I'm using a HDMI to DVI cable that's going into the iScan HD.

Thanks

Claus

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    Your Plasma will always scale to the native resoltion 1366x768 unless you give it its native rate (ie 1366x768) this is the whole point of a scaler on any digital display, if you don't give it this resolution then there really is no point in having it in the chain.

Is there a pc input on your plasma ?? you could go out of the scaler directly in to this and set the scaler to output 1366x768, this would give a good image that should be better than without the scaler.

I don't know the HD I have been using a Lumagen , can you set up any resolution or is it just predefined ones that are in it ??

I dont know alot about hdmi and dvi etc. but can the HD send out an analogue signal from an incoming hdmi signal?

7. Claus

Claus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

OK! That means that the panel is downscaling the 1080i signal from the iScan to 768p. But what is best, scaling up from 576p or down from 1080i?
    I can chose the 1366x768 on the iScan but the plasma doesn't handle the signal.

I have a PC input but it's in fron and I don't want any cables sticking out in front of the screen. I will try though.

You can set up almost any resolution on the iScan, but the only ones that work on my screen are: 480i/p, 540p, 576i/p and 1080i.

You can chose to have a digital input on the iScan and an analogue output. When I chose digital in it gives a black screen. When I chose the component in the picture is there.

I'm just borrowing this box and I'm insecure if I'm gonna shell out 1200pounds on this box if it's as limited(actually it's the screen that is the limiter) as I think it is, for me.

C

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Your plasma always scales all inputs to 768p internally. You can send this resolution to the plasma only via the PC input on the front. You should probably have bought a PW6 if you wanted to do all this. Connecting the HDMI from the 868 won't work cos the iscan is not HDCP compliant, this is copy protection. Displays and suchlike with HDCP send a little handshake like the masons, to say 'I'm not a copying device, it's OK' Possibly they may also roll up their trouser legs. Your iscan does not send digital inputs to the analogue output AFAIK, I'll check my manual but I'm almost certain. Sorry to be giving bad news, I think you are not likely to gain much from the HD unless you connect it to the PC input, and you have the wrong DVD player too. Component output from the 868 is notoriously weak, it's designed to be a (not brilliant) match for the HDE Pio. plasmas. Resolutions there don't match either. This seems to be due to a cheap implementation of the HDMI spec. HDMI only insists on a limited range of resolutions, and 1366x768 is not one of them.

9. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I think MAW is pretty much on the ball with all his comments...

I am pretty sure someone else posted recently with 720P probs on a viera plasma - god knows why Panny chose not to support 720P as the older P6's certainly did.

The only thing I would question is the HDCP element - from meory I am pretty sure the HD can cope with HDCP but it can only do this in passthrough mode i.e. it cannot change the singal or scale it in anyway, but it can allow it to pass unharmed...

Best thing is probs to have a chat with a knowledgeable dealer, as it looks like the HD/viera/868 are not going to be good friends :)

It is also worth posting on the video processing forum of www.avsforum.com as the iScan HD designer/engineer helps out there...or you can PM him on this forum as "Dale Adams"

Good Luck! :)

JJ

10. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The Viera range is a little odd in it's design, I get the feeling it's trying to be a lifestyle product i.e. a TV but then they don't even include audio in's for component so you have to buy a HC amp or give up an RGB scart just for audio ??

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    OK JJ you smarty pants you! The HD scales DVI inputs UNLESS they are copy protected, when it spits them out unchanged. Therefore, you can set 576p as HDMI output on the 868, and leave the plasma to scale that, all others can be set to whatever looks best, though you might as well then leave the HD out of the loop and connect it to the PC input for other sources. Then you can scale them all to 'native' and leave the DVI free for the 868. Not optimum, but best that can be achieved.

12. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    :p :D

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    Claus

If the same dealer who sold you the PlasmaTV lent you the iScanHD - send them packing; the Viera has the looks but not the technology; as others have said if you want to pursue video nirvana get a different screen to build around.

Your PlasmaTV converts everything to 'fill' its 1366x768 pixels - though keep in mind it has a zoom and picture adjust function so even if you 'send' it 1366x768 you have to ensure the TV is not zooming the image; you'll see other threads discussing 1:1 pixel mapping which explains this in more detail.

If I understand the Viera connectivity and your bit about not going in via the front PC input can I assume you are connecting the iScanHD to the Display as Analogue YUV component video using an (HD15 to 3RCA cable) - if so the HDMI pass through function on the DVI Input of the iScanHD wont work.

You can pass an HDCP signal in and out of the iScanHD via the DVI IN and Out but you cant get the iScanHD to take HDMI In and converter it to YUV out - you have to have the iScanHD connected to your Display on an HDMI or DVI with HDCP Input for the pass through to work - and also to 'see' any advantage of the iScanHD working in the Digital domain.

I don't know a single UK dealer charging more than £950 for an iScanHD and none with any knowledge of your TV and DVD player would have suggested it as a decent partner for the rest of your kit - in fact I'd probably not have partnered the DV-868AVI with the Viera as again there is no HDMI input on the Viera so your 'limited' to analogue YUV ; which is not the DV-868AVi's strong point.

Best regards

Joe

14. Claus

Claus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joe!!

I've borrowed the iScan HD from the dealer in Norway, just to check it out. He don't know what screen I have. I agree that it's a waste of money to buy the iScan when having the Viera, but I just wanted to check.

I love the plasma though. I think it's a brilliant screen with exellent PQ.

The reason I have the Pio868 is because I had the 434 screen, but just sold it.

What would you recommed as the best DVD player with a component output? A NTSC/PAL progressive player.

The Marantz 8400 or the Arcam DV79? Or the "old" DV88?

Thanks!

Claus