1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny TH-50PHW6 upgrade?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by marcus2704, Sep 24, 2004.

1. marcus2704

marcus2704

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I was reading a plasma TV magazine today and saw they rated my Panny TH-50PHW6 very highly which if nothing else was a comforting feeling, but they also said to get the best performance out of it requires an 'upgrade' - just wondering if anyone can shed any light as to what this upgrade may be, and what it entails?

2. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    AFAIK only the Veira HD versions can be upgraded.
    I am happy to say though the 6 series DOES accept PAL thru a DVI board, as my new 3910 player proved.
    Barend

3. marcus2704

marcus2704

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Strange that they should say that then, I wonder to what they are referring to. So far Im very happy with it, I went from a Fujitsu PDS4229 to this, and would say the picture quality is a lot better noticeably through my DV88 DVD.

I do need to calibrate it however, if anyone has any guidelines for doing as such Id appreciate it.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Bear in mind you are probably more knowlegeable about plasma than many magazine journalists. Personally I can't see why so much store is put on reviews, the system is wide open to abuse of the worst kind, and in independent polls jounalists come out even less trusted than politicians. I have been personally involved in various news stories in my past, and even the beeb get the truth wildly twisded, may be accidentally, or maybe to make a better story. With plasma reviews, they can't just write 'wow' and leave it at that can they?

5. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Maybe their use of the word "upgrade" is not the most helpful - what they actually mean is that to get the best out of it connection wise, you would need to buy more connection boards to slot in, thats all!

6. marcus2704

marcus2704

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ok you have got me even more interested now... I didnt realise you could buy more connection boards, currently I feed my component input to it via a component switchbox. I need one more component input though, is it possible to purchase a new or replacement board, or simply daisychain my JVC switchbox (which for some reason I imagine to be the most cost effective).

Thanks for ruling out the upgrade thing, I think its just a bad choice of words on their part really.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    You can buy a component board, but do you have anything connected to VGA? This is also a component input, simply requiring the right cable and a couple of button presses on the remote. A component board is around £80 depending where you get it.

8. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah its a very bad choice of words which can be very confusing!

MAW makes the point of using your VGA input, depends how you want to go about it really!

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I make the point as it's financially advantageous, it's built in to the screen, free.

10. marcus2704

marcus2704

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I use the VGA port for my Sky+ box, I have a RGB to VGA lead which cost an arm and a leg a little while back. I guess the best option is to buy another JVC, these can be daisychained and the quality is apparently lossless. This would give me a further 3 component inputs, which would keep me going for the forseeable future.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I can't imagine a lossless daisy chain, but it might easily be within the bounds of reasonableness. I'd try to see a difference with and without the current switcher, if not then risk it.

12. marcus2704

marcus2704

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    With a component DVD player, Xbox, Playstation 2 and Gamecube also all using component connections Ive found it to be the single most difficult factor in owning a plasma, Ive no use for the typical Svideo or composite (Im amazed that anyone would use a composite connection on a expensive unit like a plasma!) but having to swap component connections all the time is infuriating. According to the manufacturer the JVC is lossless, but Im in agreement with you that its perhaps unlikely. Id be interested to see how people with similar setups cope with this lack of connections.

13. jkirkebo

jkirkebo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If not using composite, how else would you hook up a VCR ?

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    You don't. You use a far more up to date recorder.

15. jkirkebo

jkirkebo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do use a far more up to date recorder, a Topfield 5000. But I still want to play all my old tapes until I have time to edit them and put them on DVDs.

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The main reason for this is that a VCR is almost unwatchable at 50". There is simply not enough info on a VHS tape. Even with a scaler, the picture is very soft.