1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny TH-42PWD6 - help!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by markwhiteside99, May 12, 2004.

1. markwhiteside99

markwhiteside99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the above from Nexnix for £2250 with the 6Y terminal board and am happy, however, my original intention was to use a Sony DAVS300 cinema in a box for sound and the Sky Digibox for pictures. I bought an RGB/Component switcher for £120, and have some connectivity issues.

I have basically changed by mind, and have weighed in for a Yamaha AV amp (RX-V440) and Yamaha DVD player (S540 - I think) and some Mission speakers M7S.

Now, I have tried to use the RGB/Component switcher to connect everything up, but have got very confused.

So here we are this is what I have got:

1. Plasma panel
    2. Yamaha AV Amp
    3. Yamaha DVD player
    4. Sky Digibox

oh, and remember, I have this £120 box currently doing sweet FA!

I know been through other posts, but if possible could do with advice as I am hoping to start burying cables in walls this weekend, so need to get in right.

I am a total newbie, so all and any advice welcome,

Cheers

Mark

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Good choice on dumping the Sony by the way!!!

Anywho if that's an RGB to Component *converter* then:

Sky via RGB scart (from socket labelled "TV") to converter
    Converter via component to amp

DVD via component to amp

amp via component to plasma

Job done!!!!

Have fun with your new toys :thumbsup:

3. Wazy

Wazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is this RGB/Component Switcher - whats the model of it? Are you sure it isn't a converter for RGB Scart to component?

Wazy

4. markwhiteside99

markwhiteside99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    As per my original post then mate. You'll need three component video leads and one fully wired scart. The component going up to the plasma from the amp may need to have BNCs at one end rather than the standard phonos/RCAs

6. wattsj

wattsj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Liam,

Are you the 'Liam' from AV-Sales ?

Have you jumped ship ?

Jay

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    That'll be me!! How's your D6 doing?

8. markwhiteside99

markwhiteside99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Liam, I will be off to buy some BNCs before Saturday then, and then fingers crossed, I can get it up and running before I start channelling out the walls and making an unholy mess.

Thanks again,

Mark

9. Noonzio

Noonzio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi lads, if I have a Sky Digibox can I use do an RGB connection to my Panny PW6 with the component/composite/s-video board using a SCART to RGB cable or do I need some kind of convertor box?

I know that in terms of picture quality it won't be as good, but is it POSSIBLE

10. diabolik

diabolik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need come kind of convertor. The JS one is good but there are others available. keene electronics do one thats self contained in the scart lead itself.

11. diabolik

diabolik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come to think of it thats for an RGB to a VGA connection. Ignore me Im still asleep. You do still need a convertor though.

12. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    You're still somewhat right cos the SyncBlaster also has a five BNC or five phono verion....

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    markwhiteside99

Its not the converters fault you don't know what your doing :)

01. The JS Technology RGB2YUV converter is a single input converter so not sure what you were planning when you said you tried to wire 'everything' up via the converter.

02. The JS Converter and your Digibox are both dumb boxes - they rely on YOU setting your Source device (Digibox) to output RGB.

The Digibox will have a default output of Composite Video so you need to set it to RGB BEFORE you try and use it with the RGB converter - hook it to a portable TV or similar and go into the Digibox Picture menu and set it to 16:9, RGB and Contrast to Low.

03. YUV Switching - as your DVD player has YUV out and your Digibox (should now) have RGB Converted to YUV you can now connect both YUV devices to the YUV Inputs on your AV Receiver and then connect the YUV Out from the AV Receiver to the YUV In on the Plasma.

If you want advice on suitable cables and the likes please drop me a note.

Best regards

Joe

14. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I never like to hear of my boxes doing nothing!

First, it's a converter to act as an interface between Sky and your plasma screen. The converter has been designed using very high quality components to keep the picture detail. It should be ideal for your system.

How to use it is quite simple. You've got an amplifier, which I believe can switch component video. So you need to connect the converter between Sky and the amplifier. First, though we need to set up Sky for RGB output. This is done in the picture settings option from the "Services" menu. Next, connect the converter to Sky's TV output SCART using a fully wired lead. Then from the converter to the amp. Obviously, you've then got to connect the DVD player to the amp and the amp to screen.

Component is also known as YUV and YPbPr. If you're not sure which is which, connect up the Y until you get a black and white image and then add the other two wires. If you get a strange coloured picture, just swap those two round. Simple.

The Plasma Screen Interfacing guide in the Technical section of my website should help you a bit here too.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.