Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panny TH-42PWD6 arriving tommorow

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by GAmbrose, Jul 28, 2003.

1. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I've joined the Plasma elite :D

Regarding setup, I know it will vary for all the sources but are there any specific settings that are generally considered to be optimal for picture quality? Everything will be YUV connected.

Also, i've noticed in a few of the threads about the Pioneer that people use Mode 2 for the first 100 hours, then go to Mode 1. Whats that all about then?

Oh, and help me decide which DVD should I test first. I was thinking Episode II because it's pure digital, but maybe T2 Extreme Edition or LOTR:EE

Gary A

2. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Gary,

I'd drop the contrast and brightness right down. Mine varys from 0 to -2 depending on the input. I've also knocked the sharpness a fair amount (between -3 and -7) - not that I'm sure how much difference it makes. That's based on using the AViA dvd.

I also run with white balance on cool, just 'cos that's how I prefer it :cool:

Enjoy your new toy :clap:

Cheers, Carl.

Disclaimer: these settings are not optimal, just wot I've set 'em at. YMMV.

3. Heady

Heady
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the test DVDs I'd take Episode II, because as you said everything is "digitalisized" (or so ;) ). So it's impossible that the picture is showing any kind of dirt particles. On the other hand Lucasfilms set the sharpness a bit too low (so that you can't see the difference between CGI and real-made scenes that easy), and for that I'd take Mission Impossible 2, for example (damn sharp, you can even see the pores and folds on the faces).

LotR: Fellowship of the Ring isn't really an optimum when it comes down to picture quality (also the SEE). But yeah, if you don't sit just on the surface of the Plasma, the picture is quite nice (but lacks of details).

T2 should be alright as I'v heard, for a 10-years-movie the picture is really astonishing.

That "mode 2" thing would interest me also...because I have a Pio...

Greetz

Heady

4. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Woohoo, it's here.

One oversight though, the extra component board I ordered is BNC and I was expecting phono...doh! I'm actually torn between swapping it for an RGB scart board (It's for my Sky and DVD player anyway) or the slightly more expensive option of getting an RGB to YUV convertor and yet ANOTHER cable (phono -> BNC)

EDIT: Just noticed you can get Phono -> BNC adapters dirt cheap..doh! Or is it vice versa?

Gary A

5. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The adaptors should do the trick. I connect phono YUV to my Matrox Digisuite capture board at work using phono -> BNC adaptors and they work a treat. It sounds to me like a trip to Maplins is in order for you.

I'm in an equal state of heightened arousal as my Pio MXE arrives tomorrow. Alas it will be S-Video hell for me until my JS Technology RGB to VGA adaptor turns up. That said, I suppose I could run some DVDs from my laptop... ;)

6. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hi Guys, sorry to jump into your thread but I'm interested in getting some phono->BNC adaptors. I have recently bought some from a local electronics accessory shop but I must admit the overall look and feel of these adaptors is pretty naff. I was hoping someone would know where to get some good quality versions?
    Cheers Oddbodd

7. wattsj

wattsj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought some recently from my local Sevonoaks store, they were £4 each !

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,085
    Hello Gary

None of the video terminal boards for the TH-42PWD6BX use RCA on the video in or out lines - its always BNC.

I'd avoid the SCART board if you can - it softens and flattens the picture.

I'd still plan to eventually add the iScan Ultra to your set up if you can and plan your connectivity now to minimise the cost at some future time when you can stick the Ultra into the system.

Best regards

Joe

9. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Joe / Liam,
    After your answer above I have to ask if is it possible to purchase the consumer unit (silver) with a component board instead ?

I was already considering a JS RGB to component for Sky after seeing it demoed.

Thanks,

Steve.

10. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I've got a slight problem that I was half expecting anyway.

Picture quality absolutely blew me away when I saw Episode II and played Zelda in progressive scan, however I am getting a horizontal criss-crossing interference from the mid portion of the screen down. I'm in no doubt that it's electrical interference in the AMP when using the Component passthrough. I used to get some vertical bars when I used the S-video passthrough in the amp so thats probably what it is.

I suppose I could connect my DVD player to the VGA input to see if the interference goes away...now why didn't I think of that last night?

Gary A

11. Urotsukidoji

Urotsukidoji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What amp do you have?

12. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Pioneer VSX859-RDS.

Gary A

13. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    It's definately the YUV passthrough on the amp.

I connected my DVD player direct to the PC port and the picture is clean as a whistle...and damn if this TV isn't the best AV piece of equipment i've ever bought.

Looks like i'll just have to suffer it on Gamecube and X-box games for now.

Gary A

14. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Gary A

I guess you're using a phono to D-sub (PC port) component cable, if so can you tell me where you got your's from or was it custom made?

Cheers, Paul

15. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I got it from Lektropacks a few weeks ago, but I wouldn't really recommend it as it looks a bit shoddy and is only wired for 6 pin, so wouldn't be any good for sending RGB stuff from a convertor. I was going to buy a VanDamme one from Joe.

See my thread about it here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87323

Gary A

16. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    :smashin: Gary A

Recieived my panel yesterday but have to wait 'till the end of next week (I've been assured) for the cable & a stand to put it on :(

Cheers, Paul

17. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GAmbrose,

Congratulations on the new display :smashin: (all Panny/Pioneer banter side it does look the business !)

The modes on the Pioneer are just levels of reducing over all screen brightness. Mode 1 does so in accordance with the input signal. Mode II reduces brightness even further to a fixed level regardless of input signal.

It has been mentioned talked about that Plasma's are more susceptable to screen burn incidents the first 100 hours or so. Its a way to give the phosphors a warm up before putting them through a work out ! No different from you running carefully for the first days of use.

Tony

18. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Another pic of the Panny 6 if anyone cares:

[​IMG]

And some closeup photo's of afew film scenes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gary A

19. Matravers

Matravers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gambrose,

superb shots.

I am very interested in the panny 6, what is your set up and how have you connected.

Also, you have an XBox i jnotice, how is that connected and what is the PQ like, i am a little bit worried about my XBox on the plasma in case the image is not good enough at 42" size

Thanks Mate

20. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    XBox (and other consoles) are just great on 42" plasmas. I use my NTSC XBox and Gamecube, and my PAL PS2 on my Model 4 42" to great effect.

The progressive scan output of the XBox and GC is definitely better, but the PS2 still looks fine.

21. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Like Carl I have NTSC X-box and Gamecube and make use of Progressive Scan via component input on both consoles, picture quality is stunning.

First Progressive scan picture I had EVER seen was Zelda: The Wind Waker and I was blown away.

DVD Player is a Pioneer 656a which has RGB passthrough. I've got my PS2 going into the DVD player, DVD player into a JS Tech RGBtoYUV Convertor and that connected to a Component Terminal board. The X-box and Gamecube use component switching via my Pioneer VSX859 amp and then go directly into the vga port on the Plasma.

Gary A