Panny TH-42pwd5uy

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jorgen poulsen

Just received the new TH-42pwd5uy (new version of the TH-42pwd4uy).

I can report that the s-video lock issue is no longer an issue. When I hooked it up to Directtv I could still chose all the different aspect ratios. When I hooked the rp62 up via s-video and component at the same time I could change between s-video, component interlaced and component progressive and all the aspect ratios on the plasma. Looks like Panasonic got rid of that bug.

Hopefully while the household is making its way from the US to Europe the rp963sa will be available with progressive PAL either in Europe or from Hivizone.

I am really happy with the purchase - at $3,499.00 and free shipping it has been a good deal for me.

regards,

Yeah, pitty the new D5 is a single scan plasma. Prolly why they managed to keep the cost down i suppose.

I'll try to explain as best as i can. (I'm sure I'll get corrected If I dont explain it properly)

Single Scan -- The image is scanned across the full display (Vertically) in one pass.

Dual Scan -- The display is halved and scanned (Vertically) across the top and bottom half of the display.

This results in a much brighter display and in this case a better quality image.

The 'new' TH-42PWD5 is a Single Scan plasma
The 'old' TH-42PWD4 is a Dual Scan plasma

Hope this helps.

Great -- I'm in the middle of deciding between the two models (TH-PWD4UY vs. TH-PWD5UY). Is the picture that much worse on the 5?

Brightness/Contrast is major important on a Plasma in my opinion.

If I were you I'd try to get down to your dealer and see them both in action and decide for yourself. (I think thats the fun part)

Last thing you want is making a mistake and blowing a few grand.

aRCaM,

I have no idea what you're talking about. There are no differences between the technology of the th-42pwd5uy and the th-42pwd4uy except that the th-42pwd5uy also have 3:2 pull down and some other stuff. It's all on top of what the th-42pwd4uy already has.

Where provide the data upon which you reached the conclusion that the th-42pwd5uy is a single scan plasma whatever that means.

regards,

Phone panasonic ! Talk to dealers (trusted ones) If youve made friends with them they wont talk sh*t to you.

aRCaM

here is a copy of the press release from Panasonic.

"Panasonic Announces New Models and
Revised Pricing on 3000:1 Contrast
Professional Plasma Display Models

Panasonic Broadcast and Television Systems Company is pleased to announce the immediate availability of two new professional plasma display models, the TH-42PWD5UY 42-inch widescreen plasma display (superseding the TH-42PWD4UY) and the TH-50PHD5UY 50-inch widescreen HD plasma display (superseding the TH-50PHD3U).

Major improvements and new features incorporated in these models include:

Real Gamma Correction Circuitry ¡V Optimizes luminance gradation within a scene, providing far better reproduction of low-light elements. (This is one of the biggest issues with conventional plasma displays.) Reproduces 1,024 shades of gradation with analog connection and up to 2,048 shades using the optional TY-42TM4D DVI terminal board providing a DVI based digital RGB connection.

Note: TY-42TM4D is available for TH-42PWD5UY, TH-42PHD5UY & TH-50PHD5UY models.

New Phosphors & New Front Glass Filter ¡V Greatly improves the color purity of blues and reds (also a weakness in conventional plasma displays)

New Asymmetrical Cell Structure ¡V Dramatically improves light-emitting balance of the three primary colors(R/G/B), reproducing purer whites while maintaining a high level of brightness.

C.A.T.S. (Contrast Automatic Tracking System) ¡V Automatically senses the ambient light conditions and adjusts the brightness and gradation accordingly. Provides the best possible picture contrast for each operating environment. This feature also helps reduce power consumption and minimize phosphor aging.

Note: This feature is not available on the TH-50PHD5UY.

3:2 Pull-Down ¡V Automatically detects a 3:2 film-based source, and then uses still-image processing for each individual image to achieve clear, smooth-flowing images.

Optional RGB Active-Through Terminal Board ¡V Enables simple and easy connection when you set up a multi-screen display. (Available soon)

Note: This feature is available only on the TH-42PWD5UY.

Pricing

Model TH-37PWD4UZ TH-42PWD5UY TH-42PHD5UY TH-50PHD5UY

Description:

37¡¨ Widescreen Professional Plasma Display 42¡¨ Widescreen Professional Plasma Display 42¡¨ Widescreen Professional HD Plasma Display 50¡¨ Widescreen Professional HD Plasma Display

Contrast Ratio 3000:1 3000:1 3000:1 3000:1
Resolution 852 x 480 852 x 480 1024 x 768 (HD) 1366 x 768 (HD)

50PHD5UY NEW MSRP
$10,995
OLD MSRP: 10,995.00

TH-42PHD5UY
New$ 6,995 Old $ 7,995

TH-42PWD5UY
Old$ 5,995 New$ 4,995"

As you can see the th-42pwd5uy is in no way inferior to the th-42-pwd4uy.

Since you seem to be so sure I would like to propose a bet. I bet "that the PQ of the th-42pwd5uy is in no way inferior to the PQ of the th-42pwd4uy". I propose a bet of GBP100.00.

That's easy money for you - take the bet.

regards,

aRCaM

Which trusted dealer? - Which Panasonic phone number? Never heard of this 'feature before!

Brightness and contrast on the PWD4 and PWD5 models are identical - the PHD5 is different, lower brightness though it still retains the 3000:1 contrast ratio.

Jorgen is way ahead of all but the very few in the UK who will have even seen a D5 display PW or HD - Panasonic are keeping them under wraps for now.

I can see very little difference between the new and old PWD models.

Interested to find out more about this dual display system though!

Best regards

Joe

Joe,

I'm not gonna keep repeating myself. You have said that it still retains the 3000:1 contrast ratio, but the brightness is lower. How else did they get the brightness lower ?

If you look at my explanation of single scan & dual scan processing you will see that I said brightness suffers from it. Thats not a wild assumption. Thats a fact.

I for one upgrade my system quite regularly and like to build up good relationships with the guys at my local store (Glasgow) I visit so to get an unbiased opinion on equipment and to get some information on the new AV gear coming out.

It so happened that I was looking to buy the plasma I currently have and got to talking about the new PWD5. This is when I found out about the changes.

Jorgen, Nice one on the improvements on the D5 over the D4. Cant seem to find where it says about the image scanning. Think about it, why hasnt the D5 got the same brightness levels as the D4 ? All that document has done is outline changes, it hasnt compared the sets. lol @ the £100 bet. Dude, I've dropped more money out of a hole in ma pocket ! Also, please grow up. Phone a few places and ask, dont say you have any of the plasmas, just ask the question. I cant believe I'm actually sitting here explaining myself.

Jorgen,

I never said at any time that the D5 was inferior to the D4. I merely pointed out a difference which was the reason I never got a D5. I can see that I've obviously hurt your feelings and that Ive got you to thinking that you may have bought an inferior set and thats why defending it.

For that I appologise.

If it makes you feel better, your panny plasma is the king, its the best of all, its truly a remarkable piece of technology.

Feel better now ?

Arcam, the last part of your post wasn't really necessary, was it?

You have made your point before so let's just leave this open for discussion instead of getting personal.
I do agree that the "bet" issue is indeed childish and would ask Jorgen to proove the claim wrong instead.

Reiner
Moderator AV Forums

Reiner,

this is a first - an English person not willing to take a bet even thought his is so sure of himself.

I also find it funny that somebody can make a claim and it is somebodyelse's responsibility to prove it wrong. I think the person that makes the claim should stand up and provide real data not just hearsay.

Arcam,

Let me just state upfront that if I offended you then I am sorry. I'm not hurt at all but until now you seem to be the only one with the opinion you stated earlier in the post. I am quite happy to investigate, however, let me ask you as few questions:
- have you actually seen the th-42pwd5uy? Perhaps you saw the high def model which indeed have lower brightness
- where have you seen that the th-42pwd5uy has a lower brightness level than the th-42pwd4uy?
- secondly when you talk about single scan versus dual scan are you talking about plasma tvs capable of displaying interlaced versus progressive signals? If not could you then please provide us with a link that outlines what you meant to convey to us.

I'll talk to you soon.

regards,

I did find the spec sheet for the pwd5uy.

http://www.plasmaplanet.com/PLASMA_DISPLAYS/PANASONIC/PDF/TH50-TH42-TH37brochure9-1-02.pdf

Contrary to the spec sheet for the pwd4uy it does NOT specify the brightness of the pwd5uy. While it does not prove the brightness of the pwd5uy to be lower than the pwd4uy I do find it a little fishy...

Arcam, again please lead us to a Panasonic source that can provide us with proof of the brightness of the pwd5uy.

Joe, you seem to know that the brightness is the same for the two - what is your source?

Arcam, with regard to the single scan/dual scan issue here is what I found. Dual scan seems to refer to interlaced pictures where half the lines are refreshed in one scan and the other half in the next scan thus dual scan. Single scan refers to progressive pictures where all the lines on the display is refreshed at the same time. If that is what you mean then you are essentially saying that the pwd5uy is a progressive display and the pwd4uy is an interlaced display. I am sitting here with the Operating Instructions and on the front page it says "Progressive Wide Plasma Display". I'll bet you (- no I won't:D ) that if you look at the front page of your Operating Instructions it says the same. However, if indeed your pwd4uy is a dual scan display it would not be capable of displaying a progressive signal. I think that both displays are progressive or single scan displays.

If indeed the pwd5uy was interlaced display then I don't think anybody would buy it (that goes for the pwd4uy too).

regards,

aRCaM

Who in Glasgow has seen either of the new D5 Panasonic displays?

You do seem to be missing that there are in fact TWO new 42" displays on the way from Panasonic:

TH-42PWD5BX - 400cd SET brightness and 3000:1 contrast ratio.
TH-42PHD5BX - 250cd SET brightness and 3000:1 contrast ratio

The spec on your own panel is:
TH-42PWD4BX - 400cd SET brightness and 3000:1 contrast ratio.

So bar the addition of 3:2 Digital Cinema Reality pull down detection (on NTSC signals only) - there is not much difference between the display you have and the display Jorgen has just received.

I'm guessing the smaller pixels (phosphors) in the PHD display are the reason for its lower brightness - I'm sure also this is linked to producing more accurate colours and grey scale and nothing to do with split screen technology. All bar some Fujitsu displays are progressive scan devices and I cant imagine the manufacturers would try and 'write' the image in two halves having previously processed the image for progressive scan.

Maybe you can source some Panasonic specs on this new system or maybe your dealer can let you know where the info came from - I'm not questioning that they gave you this info its just that there is nothing about it anywhere in the specs I have for the new displays.

There is no price differential between the old and new PWD models and as yet Panasonic have not set the price for the PHD model - Pioneers latest pricing has given Panasonic a big headache.

You say you cant believe you are having to explain yourself - is that not the nature of a discussion forum? You are the first person to flag up what seems to be a major change in plasma display technology yet you dont expect anyone to ask any questions about this new design.

Jorgen - the brightness figures I have are from a technical paper I received a while ago outlining the key features of the new 2002 displays; its not for general release and as you have already spotted Panasonic dont seem to be putting brightness figures on any literature for the 2002 models - maybe Pioneers 1000cd SET brightness on the PDP-433MXE is just too big a number to compete with!!!

Best regards

Joe

Jorgen --

On the website itself, it quoted a 780 cd/m2 peak brightness. Howeever, on the website www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com, a brightness level of 650 cd/m2 is quoted. I dunno -- one of them's wrong.

tawilliams,

when you say "On the website itself..." which website are you referring to?

Oops --

Sorry, Jorgen -- you had referenced a brochure that could be downloaded from www.plasmaplanet.com in your previous post. That was the website to which I referred.

Jorgen/tawilliams

TH-42PHD5BX - 490cd PANEL brightness
TH-42PWD5BX - 780cd PANEL brightness

The SET figures are the important ones - unless you fancy dismantling your display to view it without all of its screen filters to see it at its full brightness :)

And as far as I can tell the figures for the 5B consumer displays are:

TH-42PHW5B - 250cd SET brightness
TH-42PW5B - 400cd SET brightness

So no real difference between the Commercial (Charcoal) and the Consumer (Silver) display as far as brightness goes.

Best regards

Joe

Lets enjoy our plasma tv's eh.....no matter who's got what we've got 2 of the best 42" sets out there in my opinion.

:)

Reiner,

would you care to comment on arcam's behavior just like you did on mine.

First arcam makes unsubstantiated claims.

Second you challenged me to prove him wrong instead of him providing data supporting his claims.

Third, now that we have proven him wrong he doesn't have enough integrity to admit that he possibly made an honest mistake.

There are thousands out there that probably put their th-42pwd5uy purchase on hold due to arcam relying on hearsay.

I think it is only appropriate of you to ask arcam to prove that the facts that we have provided are in fact not true.

As Joe said the purpose of the forum is to explain yourself and share information for the greater good. Arcam seem to be unwilling to do that.

I'll be childish again and bet that arcam is not willing to prove us wrong now. Since he won't respond with data it will simply imply that we're right (I'm using "we" losely here).

Arcam, I agree "...no matter who's got what we've got 2 of the best 42" sets out there....". It's just a:
- "...pitty the new D5 is a single scan plasma..." and that your pwd4uy is a dual scan which
- "... results in a much brighter display and in this case a better quality image".

regards,

this is a first - an English person not willing to take a bet even thought his is so sure of himself.

Whatever, this forum is not a betting shop and offering such a bet is not an argument by itself.

I also find it funny that somebody can make a claim and it is somebodyelse's responsibility to prove it wrong. I think the person that makes the claim should stand up and provide real data not just hearsay.

Well, but you claimed he is wrong by offering that bet, so it's also up to you to proof your claim and not just say "you are wrong, let's bet". That makes no argument as I cannot know on what information you base your position on (hearsay, technical specs, experience etc).

Of course I would expect him to do the same, i.e. proof this claim if he still insists on being right but I noticed you have explained the single/dual scan issue and thus proven him wrong. In fact I would be surprised if the plasma in question does not offer progressive (dual) scan.

Therefore I would conclude this argument resolved.

Third, now that we have proven him wrong he doesn't have enough integrity to admit that he possibly made an honest mistake.

You are right but we can't force him to do that, can we?
But like I said above, you have proven your point and given his reaction he did somewhat admit he was mistaken.

So let's just forget this issue and discuss more important (AV related) things ... :)

Reiner,

points well taken.

I guess you could read arcam's last post that way.

Anyway, I guess I got a little bit upset by what I perceived as a cocky attitude from arcam.

I guess bottom line is that I am happy to know that I did not trade down but probably up when I bought the pwd5uy instead of the pwd4uy.

You played an excellent role in moderating this thread - thanks.

Now I want to know when the rp963sa is available so I can watch PAL ps when my plasma arrives in Denmark in 6 to 8 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom