1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny TH-42PW6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by SteveRSF, Dec 7, 2003.

1. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi guys.............thinking of splashing out for the panasonic plasma....what are your views?

is there anything better in this price range?

i have just been reading the thread on flashing led's and screens shuting down!.....feeling abit confused!
    Please help

2. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    check the reviews, it is highly rated, although you obviously know its just a screen with no integral tuner/ speakers/ need to buy certain interface cards.....

digital direct have them on xmas offer for 24 hrs only a further 40 quid off their usual price and in stock to ship!

Thanks

S

3. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OOOOH!......yeah so it's just a monitor,i can run it straight off my yamaha A1?

4. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    That'll be my thread! :D
    The problem, i am led to believe, is known to Panasonic. I bought my PWD6 close to when they were first launched, so I assume that since they have known about this, they have fixed it on subsequent screens. Couldn't say for sure, but if they know about it, it would be reasonable to assume they will do something about it.

As for the screen, its absolutely fantastic. The PQ is absolutely sensational and everything about it is nothing short of stunning. I love mine to bits (when its working) and would recommend them without hesitation.

Just gotta get Panasonic to get their gear into ass now!

5. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks ldj...............almost satisfied then!

anyone else?

6. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is the PWD6 better than the 42 A20 (if you exclude the fact that the latter has tuner/ speakers), i.e. on a screen by screen comparison which one is superior?

Thx

S

7. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I looked at both the PA20 and PW6, and I found them similar. There is an argument that the PW6 can be slightly better as the PA20 tuner in the chain can degragde things a tiny bit, but I couldn't verify that with my eye. In one shop I saw them both and the PW6 looked much better, but the PW6 was running Freeview and the PA20 on Sky, and I think that was the reason...there are so many variables.

I have the PW6 and love it. If you want the built in speakers and tuner I don't think you'll be unhappy with the PA20 either.

Mark

8. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm with LDJ (although my led does'nt flash!), the PW6 is stunning in almost every department for me - clarity and general performance with dvd's at least 10/10, picture quality only limited by the usual Sky channel culprits, but BBC, sports, movies all excellent. However, I am now in 'perfectionist' mode (be very wary of this, it'll drive you nuts!) which is why I am looking to further improve pq by trawling through the connection options. At present, scart is ok for Sky but could use some refining so looking into RGB/VGA converters. As I said, progressive scan dvd into component input is stunning.
    Go for it, you won't be disappointed IMO.

9. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys, so with a PW6 what board would i need for sky using scart/ ps2 using s-video / and dvd using scart or composite - its so confusing!

Oh and if i dont have sky and go for an rf feed then do i need something else like the tuner box?

Thanks in advance

S

10. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the replies guys....but being new to plasma.....what do you mean by boards?

i have sky+(connected by scart and optical)
    pioneer dv717( by optical)
    Panasonic vhs (Scart)
    xbox (optical)
    All run from the yamaha A1

11. dwillis

dwillis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just want to add onto this thread that having pondered and viewed and pondered and viewed plasma after plasma for the previous 2 years. I finally, as at last Tuesday, bought into the Panny PW6. It now sits proudly on my wall and I have to say I am in awe of this screen.

I'm a pickie git (as are a lot of you's) hence why its taken me two years to finally make the purchase. It wasn't a cash issue it was more to do with quality and it goes without saying, personal opinion, that this model was the best I've seen.

I purchased from Nexnix and at £2500 inc wall mount and component card I just couldn't resist.

I would recommend this model to anyone.

12. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    By "boards" we are referring to a number of different terminal boards you can get with the PW6. In its most basic form it only has a VGA input, which you can use for a computer, or component video (with the right cables). But you can add extras such as SCART (RGB capable) or component video connections (BNC or RCA). Many different ways of configuring it, depending on what other kit you have.

Mark

13. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Oh right gotcha!.........so do they come with several diff. ones or do you need to specify when buying?
    As i think i will be taking the plunge:clap:

14. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you need to specify which ones you want when buying mate, it has 4 different slots so you can add boards as required

Ta

S

15. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Excellent cheers m8ty!.............just read above a price of £2500...which is £1K less than my local hifi shop....when getting prices from them he said "buying on the net can cause problems like all the handbook being in german".
    anyone else had similar experiences

16. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nexnix are meant to be a reputable supplier - just double check its UK stock with UK Panansonic warranty

the price above is for the black version (2150 plus VAT), the silver version is £500 plus VAT more approx from the same supplier

Can anyone confirm any advantage to having the commercial model over the domestic model for home entertainment use? - as far as i can see it meets more stringent power supply type regulations but does this give a noticeable performance improvement?

Thanks

17. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    that's absolute nonsense. what he really means is that he can't afford to match the prices on the net, so he's extremely bitter!
    Besides, even if you had an all-german handbook (which you wont!) you can download them from the Panasonic Web site :)

18. dwillis

dwillis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think its all down to personal taste as to which one to go for. The silver model generally comes with scart board and external tuner and stand. For info John Lewis do this model for £3995 and they price matched PRCdirect at £2850 inc VAT which obviously included their 5 year warranty.

It would depend on your own individual requirements as to what one to go for ie using Sky as you tuner etc.

Apparently the internal components are indentical although I felt the black had a better picture, though that's probably something to do with the surrounding bezel being different.

19. dwillis

dwillis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, forgot to add. I checked the warranty with Nexnix and its the full UK panasonic 1 year warranty (you could extend to 2 or 3 if required). Again, for info, Nexnix advised me that their black (charcoal) special offer (free component card and wall mount) will be finishing shortly. This wasn't sales talk as I'd already purchased the screen. Apparently the screen price will be going up to approx £2220 + VAT and the free wall mount will no longer be free.

20. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DWillis, which JL did you get to price match? - High Wycombe or Windsor?

Thanks

Sunil

21. dwillis

dwillis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sunil4, it was actually JL Milton Keynes that price matched. I tried to spoof em and get them to Price Match with the Nexnix Commercial screen, but alias they wasn't that stupid !!!

22. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers mate, i might try to get one of the greater london ones to price match either prc or techtronics as both have retail shops although cannot find prc listing their shops on the website to print off for JL???

Did JL MK actually call PRC and okay it?

TIA

23. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep the website has just changed!:smoke:

24. dwillis

dwillis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No worries mate. Re Prcdirect if you go to the prcdirect website and and then 'contact us' you'll find their address...Ilford Essex.

JL MK took all the details and came back with a phone number and reference if I wanted to go ahead. So I presume they proceeded with their checks etc. Come back to me if JL cause you any probs as I've still my reference and their contact number etc. Good luck in your mission.

25. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks mate, i am going to call them later today

the High Wycombe branch have just emailed me and say they have the 42PA20 for £3,699 which is £4,499 in all their other stores! - that might be an email which i wont delete!

I didnt ask them about the PW6 but all the research from you guys in the know is saying that the PW6 is better than the PA20 as the tuner cocks things up - as i have sky and a freeview box and 5.1 amp then i guess i dont need the speakers and tuner!

Will let you know how i get on as if i can get it for £2846 from JL (the prc price doesnt include the tuner) then i cant ask for much more!

ta

S

26. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just called JL kingston who said they wont price match PRC as they dont trust them! - left a message for their undersales dept to call me as i can still try to get them to match techtronics

Called and left message for High Wycombe as no answer from their phone ringin in tv/audio dept.......

Whaddya make of that then!

S

27. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is rare, they nearly always say that they have a 5 year warranty. and dont always match. (like for like is what they say)

or they will say that it has not got a tuner.

this is very good if you can get them to do this with the pw6

Darren

28. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JL Kingston undersales called me back last night and said they wouldnt match prc as they dont have a shelf edge price (they dont allow internet prices as they arent always the store price). However they are more happier matching techtronics - if this is the case then the TT price for the JL equivalent should come in around £3,200 for silver 32PW6 with tuner board and box. AFAIK the JL warranty is irrelevant in the equation as its free and therefore they wont disallow it as not many other places offer free 5yr warrantys.

They said to allow 5-7 days for them to write back to me with an answer, which is cool, as i dont need it until end Jan 04

Thanks

S

29. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    sunil4,
    If JL MK have already price matched PRC, why dont you just ring them?

30. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good point, but MK is miles from me, wont i have to pay for delivery?

Anyhow, if they match TT then it works out around the same so i am no worse off. Will wait to hear from them as dont need it until January and, at this rate, i might just go for black one and save £500 and a tuner box that i wont need

Ta

S