Panny TH-42PW6 + HDMI

Does anyone know if these DVI boards for the panasonic work with the older series, I have the D4.

cheers

Laingy

Afraid not! and the DVI board for the 4 Series is a nightmare - its not very much use as a Video input and its not HDCP compliant either.

Best regards

Joe

Barend said:
Well, my Panny dvi card still won't accept the pal mode even with no disc in the dv868 player...
Ah well, ordered the new Denon player and see how that fares...
So early September you can all witness my Enormous Agony when it still won't work or my Exquisite Joy when it does!
Barend :D
:laugh: I'll keep my fingers crossed for you mate :smashin:

So can anyone tell me.... is the pic via the Panny DVI board better than that via component? I am looking at a Denon 3805 to do all my video switching and connecting to my Panny via component (its currently via S video to my old all in one DVD system).
However I want to be future proofed for HDMI so am considering a DVI board (or an HDMI one if they are actually bringing one out). Do I need to be picky about what DVD player I get (re no of lines output) if I am going to use DVI at any point.
I DO use my pc with the screen occasionally via the VGA. Would the DVI be better for that too? I have the PW6 - thanks to recommendation from Joe Fernand on this forum. Very happy with it so far but want to maximise my investment.... S vide aint the way I'm sure!

TBH the general consensus is that you can get the same quality through a well setup analogue connection. With all the hassles of the DVI card I choose to stick to that belief for the sake of my own sanity!!!

Theoretically the DVI board should work with any HDMI player that will send a correct 576p or 480p signal, we have already seen this isn't the case with current Pioneers although I would imagine this is unlikely to crop up again as manufacturers get used to the workings of HDMI and DVI. Even still, no point future proofing if you can't see that much difference between properley calibrated DVI and properley calibrated YUV/RGBHV.

I would stick with VGA for the PC, DVI limits the refresh rate of the panel to 60Hz!

woodgaz said:
So can anyone tell me.... is the pic via the Panny DVI board better than that via component? I am looking at a Denon 3805 to do all my video switching and connecting to my Panny via component (its currently via S video to my old all in one DVD system).
However I want to be future proofed for HDMI so am considering a DVI board (or an HDMI one if they are actually bringing one out). Do I need to be picky about what DVD player I get (re no of lines output) if I am going to use DVI at any point.
I DO use my pc with the screen occasionally via the VGA. Would the DVI be better for that too? I have the PW6 - thanks to recommendation from Joe Fernand on this forum. Very happy with it so far but want to maximise my investment.... S vide aint the way I'm sure!

See other posting were I discussed this veritable p.o.s. the DVI board really is: in PAL it grudgingly appears to accept just ONE resolution, 576p.
In fact, it does NOT accept any dvi nor hdmi dvd output in PAL, also Panasonic UK has not succeeded in producing a PAL pic nor a tech at Panasonic Düsseldorf.
I managed to get an ntsc pic from an ntsc disc and it was much better than components, even at 480p, so it was the dig-dig connection that brought the improvement. NTSC @ 1920i (probably downscaled in the Plasma) was even better. No question in my mind, digital IS better than analog, period.
My DVD is Pio DV868avi, the Panny guy used a Denon. Pio Germany told me feeding dvi from an hdmi source was out of their specs and NOT guaranteed to work! Sure, THEIR Plasmas have a hdmi input...they're bound to say that!
Conclusion:
Panasonic never should've offered this board in PAL countries unmodified.
Shame on them!
To add to my bitter "whining", nobody wants to come up for the consequences, not Pioneer (see above), not Panasonic nor the retailer I bought the board from. What a world we live in, where service to a customer seems to end after the payment is done.
Curse them all!
Really sorry I ever bought a Panasonic plasma. :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow
Barend

Sure, I know, Gordon, but can ANYONE confirm having succeeded to view a PAL signal from a dvd player thru this dvi plugin?
Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed Pioneer is somehow right and my forthcoming Denon 3910 will succeed thru its dvi output where the Pioneer failed...
Wish these manufacturers get their acts together...
If not:
Wish I had their heads together and and bump them real hard! :mad:
Barend

Actually, I have seen what you want. I know the 868 won't work, and any 1/2 decent retailer should know this, and if not, should take the board back. I don't know you'll be better off with the denon, I have not checked the spec yet, well only a yank spec, which does not mention PAL. If you can choose 720p it should work, but you'll still get a better picture by cancelling the order, buying a 2200 and a Lumagen scaler.

MAW, what about the iScanHD scaler connected to a Panny 6UY? Would that work, i.e. take a 576i PAL signal from a DVD player with DVI and scale up to 1080i/1080p via the iScan's DVI output?

ripclaw - that will work but refresh rates are limited to 60Hz (can be annoying if 50Hz-60Hz conversion is not done well from PAL sources)

[edit: completely missed the DVI bit! iScan HD will not scale HDCP protected DVI signals, and DVI signals are generally speaking progressive only. The iScan wouldn't understand an interlaced signal being pushed into its DVI slot anyway. A Lumagen on the other hand could which I think was discussed on another thread]

Barend - the reason digital looks so much better is that the 868's analogue YUV output is pants. Me (and MAW and others) have a bit of a conspiracy theory that Pioneer have done it on purpose to boost the merits of the HDMI output, therefore selling more HDMI TVs!! Analogue YUV from your new Denon will be comparable to HDMI-DVI from the Pio IMO.... (both inputs properley calibrated to their respective sources)

ripclaw said:
MAW, what about the iScanHD scaler connected to a Panny 6UY? Would that work, i.e. take a 576i PAL signal from a DVD player with DVI and scale up to 1080i/1080p via the iScan's DVI output?

First: You don't get DVI dvd players that output interlaced 480i or 576i. I have heard tell of a very high end US player that may do this but no confirmation. HDMI players may do this if the manufacturer has allowed it in their set up and not all have. ....ie Pioneer 868 does but 668 doesn't.

Second: Even if they did do this I'd expect that mainstream players will have HDCP copyprotection on this output when they are playing a copyprotected disc. The iScan HD doesn't support HDCP encryption and will not be able to process such a signal.

I do not know if the Iscan supports 480i or 576i from an unecnrypted HDMI source in its DVI input.

Gordon

The iscan will pass through HDCP signals, but not scale them. It seems to have a problem displaying via panasonic's DVI card (yawn) I am currently struggling on this one (Hi Daniel!) and am considering a switch to Lumagen for this application. My Z2 and a couple of infocus projectors, and a Pioneer plasma all work fine via DVI, it's some sort of incompatibility between iscan and Panny DVi blade. It might not be completely panasonic's fault either...

You know what Liam.. I think you've answered my question there.
The whole question was raised because I was up Tott Ct Rd and saw a Pio 43" plasma next to a Panny Viera and a Pio 50" HDMI. The Panny and 50" Pio both were receiving a component feed from a Pio DVD player (Im guessing the 868) and the Pio 434 was receiving the HMDI feed. The difference was very clear and made me think DVI/HDMI is something I want. However if it just because the component feed is crap from that DVD then maybe I should just hook up a good component source and be happy with that.
How much of an improvement over my current S Video setup do you think I will see into my PW6?

Just to confirm I do agree with Liam, and YUV wise, a denon 2900 will blow a 868 into the weeds, but maybe not with a Pio plasma, they might well have nobbled the YUV input...

MAW you've basically summed up the problem, all things being equal DVI or HDMI should be better, however, all things are not equal.

With the Panasonic I don't bother with DVI, it's unreliable and I can get nigh on perfection with an analogue input. With the Pioneer HDE I'm usually selling into the make-it-easy-to-use market rather than the make-it-perfect market, that's where I will just install all Pioneer kit and use HDMI, iLink etc etc.

woodgaz - component will certainly be a marked improvement over SVHS so long as your source components are up to the job (note that s-video simply converted to component will be no improvement whatsoever!!!). It's up to you whether or not to take on DVI but I would personally much rather a good scaler running analogue to the panel.

Oh yes... I would be getting a new DVD player with a component out.
I think I will take your advice on DVI for now and see if Panasonic sort it all out at any point in the future. If I can approach perfection via component then there really is very little point. I just want to make the most of what I'm told is an unbelievable screen but has yet to really blow me away (though I am very happy with it)

I thought the PW6 had a built in scaler...and the 3805 does...(if I plump for one of those) What value does an external one add?
Not least... what do they cost?

I'm all about minimising the number of boxes and wires I have. I want to get a DVD R with HDD so I can ditch my VCR... and ideally with a Freeview box in so I can ditch that too. I think Panasonic have one coming out in a month or two with all this... and an ethernet socket so I can link it to my wireless LAN ;) (the DMR E500 I think)

Woodgaz

Your Plasma Display has a video processor that accepts 480 (NTSC), 576 (PAL) Interlaced (i) and Progressive (P) Standard Definition (SD) along with 720P and 1080i High Definition (HD) via its Analogue YPbPr video processor.

The Denon AV Receiver you mention has the ability to convert a 480i or 576i Composite or S-Video signal to 480i or 576i YUV Component signal - this is not Scaling or Progressive Scan processing its merely converting one signal type/colour space to another to facilitate simpler video connectivity; in fact if your serious about using S-Video your better not carrying out this conversion in the AV Receiver but hooking S-Video direct to the Display.

The Video Scaling and Progressive processing in your Display is very good value; though can be bettered - that's where the external Video Processors come into the equation.

You'll spend upwards of £800.00 on a high quality Video Processor that can process a range of SD and HD (Interlaced or Progressive) signals to make better use of the underlying technology contained in your Plasma Display.

Best regards

Joe

Im not serious about S video. I want to move on...
Component sounds like the way for me for the moment.

If I feed a progressive scan source into the Denon and then out to the PW6 will it pass it through as progressive?
I just want one cable from the receiver to the screen and everything else going into the Denon. Then I have a minimum of crap in the walls and one source for switching. Forsee any issues with that?
Looked at your companies site btw and might have to come and check the place out. Those installations look awesome! (actually it was Liams site! Apologies!)
Really appreciate the info.
Thanks a million
G.

woodgaz

Your AV Receiver will pass Interlaced and Progressive YUV signals so a single three core cable will suffice - though I'd also run a pull cord just in case your three core cable ever got damaged.

Best regards

Joe

PS I did wonder what installations you were looking at - the only ones we have on our site are Corporate AV Installations.

woodgaz - there's a video processing forum down near the bottom of the main forum list. It'll be very worth your while looking around there and deciding if a dedicated processor is for you. It's an increase in budget you weren't originally expecting but it does give the best quality picture possible. If you still aren't sure whether to go for it or not remember to bury a 5-core video cable (RGBHV) in addition to the 3-core component one. This is the cable a video processor would use running to your plasma screen so you have the upgrade option later.

Thanks Liam,

Ive had a look and been around the net looking at pricing etc. At this stage Im just going to jump up to component and see if the Panny scaler suffices. Think I should see a decent improvement from what I can gather.

Any recommendations on a brand of component lead? Going to be doing around a 3M run and depending on which ones I look at that could cost me anything between £25 and £300! I was thinking it would be best to run a cable to junction boxes at either end with blanking plates on with the terminals on the plates. Presumably these would have to be made up? Do most people just leave the cable ends sticking out of the wall?

Try not to use wall plates where not really necessary because of all the extra join points you have on the signal. See the sticky at the top of the cables forum for some serious in-depth cable types etc.

woodgaz said:
You know what Liam.. I think you've answered my question there.
The whole question was raised because I was up Tott Ct Rd and saw a Pio 43" plasma next to a Panny Viera and a Pio 50" HDMI. The Panny and 50" Pio both were receiving a component feed from a Pio DVD player (Im guessing the 868) and the Pio 434 was receiving the HMDI feed. The difference was very clear and made me think DVI/HDMI is something I want. However if it just because the component feed is crap from that DVD then maybe I should just hook up a good component source and be happy with that.
How much of an improvement over my current S Video setup do you think I will see into my PW6?
Well set up plasmas on TCR? Don't make me laugh.

HDMI looks good because it's set up by simply plugging it in and go (when it works), getting analogue to look anywhere near as good requires time and effort to set up.

StooMonster

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom