Panny TH-42PHD8 or LG 42PX5D

CheekyKid

Established Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me decide on which one LG 42PX5D vs TH-42PHD8 is the best.I have made a huge search and i ended up with these models.Any information appreciated :D

CheekyKid said:
Can someone help me decide on which one LG 42PX5D vs TH-42PHD8 is the best.I have made a huge search and i ended up with these models.Any information appreciated :D

The PX5D has built in HD & SD tuners and all the inputs and outputs you will want, if you want to juggle two remotes go for the other one, I have LG 42PX4DV SD version of this plasma and it is EXCELLENT! :smashin:

CheekyKid,
Have you seen the LG with a demo?

You are comparing two products aimed at different markets. The LG is a tv (you buy it, plug it in, turn it on and watch tv) and the Panasonic is a display screen (you buy it, plug it in, turn it on and watch.....well nothing).
The panasonic will require you to buy some sort of tuner (media box, sky box or freeview box), speakers or surround system and input boards to connect everything up and is generally aimed at the entusiats home user or for comercial use.
In my mind both the LG and the Panasonic produce a great picture but from what I have read here and on various other websites the panasonic can be more relaiable.

The Panasonic will give you a much better picture, but the LG comes with all the inputs you need. If you can afford the Panasonic, then buy it, it's worth the extra money.

Just had a good look at a Panny PW8, straight out the box and setting it up with no disc even it looks awesome!
One of the best looking plasmas I have seen and that was using the scart board for sky and DVD looped through. No colour banding to worry about, really bright, deep, deep blacks with loads of detail in them and wonderful colours.
The PHD8 will only be better.

??straight out the box and setting it up with no disc even it looks awesome!??

That's what I thought when I unpacked my Lg 42PX4dv, unless you have seen,
the latest PX series LG's you cannot claim the pana's are better.

Remote juggling is a pain!. :nono:

I have seen a demo only with a previous model.Panny is expensive and not only that I have to buy extra some terminal boards which cost quite a bit :thumbsdow .From such an expensive monitor i would expect the boards to be already on.Isn't that a bit out of line?

LG has 5000:1 contrast ratio if that would make any difference in the comparison.Anyone knows what the DCDi logo on Lg's is about?

contrast ratio means nothing, it's not a measure of how good the plasma is. Also, Panasonic IS better quality than LG, no matter how you slice it.

Peabo said:
contrast ratio means nothing, it's not a measure of how good the plasma is. Also, Panasonic IS better quality than LG, no matter how you slice it.

Let them make there own decision, your statement is your opinion, opinions
are cheap they cost nothing.

Panasonic IS better quality than LG, ( an opinion)???

Peabo, go an see for yourself, you will be peeved if you take somebodys advice
and live to regret it, use your own eyes and ears to make a decision.

http://www.hdtvoice.com/voice/showthread.php?p=131437#post131437

Happy Hunting :smashin:

colindale said:
Please explain :rolleyes:

I am sure he is hinting that there is no such thing as a freeview HD digital tuner. Any freeview box is capable of recieving a HD signal, the problem is freeview do not transmit a HD signal. There is no HD source at the moment (unless going through a pc) and in the future it is looking like the only sources will be hd-dvd, blue ray dvd or SKY+HD. The LG has the resolution to display these signals correctly without scaling but has no HD tuner. Does that make sense?

Certainly the PHD8 is better than the LG, but its a panel and requires you to spend more money on cards etc. If you just want a TV and its a Panasonic or LG, I would go for Panny every time. Have you considered the PV500?

Sandman said:
I am sure he is hinting that there is no such thing as a freeview HD digital tuner. Any freeview box is capable of recieving a HD signal, the problem is freeview do not transmit a HD signal. There is no HD source at the moment (unless going through a pc) and in the future it is looking like the only sources will be hd-dvd, blue ray dvd or SKY+HD. The LG has the resolution to display these signals correctly without scaling but has no HD tuner. Does that make sense?

I cannot believe you guys are behind us! :confused:

http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=9

I beg to differ, I live in Australia, we have both High Definition and Standard Definition channels, I only watch HIGH Def on my 42PX4DV which is coverted
by the XD Engine to the screens resolution, now you know why I think LG's are superior at least here in OZ. :lesson:

P.S. I also possess a Fushion DVB-T Plus High Definition tuner card in my PC. :smashin:

Sandman said:
The LG has the resolution to display these signals correctly without scaling but has no HD tuner. Does that make sense?

SKY+HD will be my future HD tuner.
I was wondering if any of you has got any review on Panny or LG or has an LG monitor with the XD 2 engine so we can have some opinions with grounds.

You guys seem to forget that the PX5D sold in Europe and in the U.S. (or Australia) are two different things... :mad: In contrast to the U.S. version which comes with HD (cable) tuner and cable-card slot, the european version only got a DVB-T (freeview) tuner which is currently not HD capable..The currently used DVB-T standard does not provide enough bandwith to transport HD signals...

Cheers

colindale said:
Let them make there own decision, your statement is your opinion, opinions
are cheap they cost nothing.

Panasonic IS better quality than LG, ( an opinion)???

Peabo, go an see for yourself, you will be peeved if you take somebodys advice
and live to regret it, use your own eyes and ears to make a decision.

http://www.hdtvoice.com/voice/showthread.php?p=131437#post131437

Happy Hunting :smashin:
It's not an opinion, it's a fact. Panasonic use far superior technology compared to LG. That's why LG is a budget plasma TV.

Go see both running side by side in a showroom if you're in any doubt.

Not true-LG are not that cheap at all. In fact the prices are almost the same with Panny- a month ago I had to make a choice between PA50 and LG PX3RV-there were the same price, but the PQ of the LG was obvious better with the XD2 engine+Panny has always strange inputs or missing inputs. LG are the only brand that makes the plasmas and the LCD in EU and they do not need to pay extra 14% tax for DVI or HDMI.

CheekyKid said:
SKY+HD will be my future HD tuner.
I was wondering if any of you has got any review on Panny or LG or has an LG monitor with the XD 2 engine so we can have some opinions with grounds.
CheekyKid,
You can find the XD2 engine on all PX3-4 models, is working great you can see about it here http://www.lge.com/products/tv/XDEngine/index.htm

Peabo said:

Have you seen the latest 42PX5D side to side with a Panny?

:rolleyes:

Thx for the site Stainway.I know XD engine is good but the 42PX4D model had some problems.

Taken from PCworld review:
''But images appeared a bit noisy, and the 42PX4D came in a depressing next-to-last for its ability to display detail; consequently, it ranked only fifth out of the eight tested models for HDTV quality. At least some of the problem seems to be in its display of dark tones. In a high-def TV documentary about the Napa Valley wine country, for example, we saw speckles in what should have been a solid-blue sky. To investigate further, we watched the opening scene of Mystic River: a fade up from black over a grim Boston skyline. Much of the DVD has less-than-perfect image quality, making the sequence trying for any TV, but it looked especially splotchy on the LG.''

Peabo said:
It's not an opinion, it's a fact. Panasonic use far superior technology compared to LG. That's why LG is a budget plasma TV.

And that is still only your opinion, :boring:

I have, that's why I bought an LG PX series with High Definition tuner BUILT IN

yep I know that review,but the PX4D is still a no. 1 best buy at the very same PCworld
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,121139,00.asp

See also this-I found a review for 42px4rv and this is the test winner in Sweden for July 2005
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245805&page=2&pp=15&highlight=42px5r

But here you will be told to get Panasonic anyway-so just go and try to decide with your own eyes.

PS.The contrast ratio of LG is anyway the best-better then Panasonic and I mean the actual contrast ratio: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=418113

???''But images appeared a bit noisy, and the 42PX4D came in a depressing next-to-last for its ability to display detail;???

Bul**hit.

I hope they dont claim to be experts in setting up these plasma's. :suicide:

I can count the hairs on peoples heads for goodness sake! :lesson:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom