Panny TH-42PH10 - Scart to S-VIDEO Quality?

hambrook

Established Member
Reaction score
I am on the verge of ordering the excellent Panasonic TH-42PH10 from the very helpful AV-SALES people. I am ordering a twin HDMI board as I plan to feed it (eventually) with SKY HD and a PS3.

What I trying to avoid is shelling out the £90+ for a SCART board that will be redundant within 6 months. The 42PH10 ships with a TY-FB9BD Composite/S-Video terminal board and I have seen SCART to S-VIDEO cables. I have been warned that " the lower bit rate channels it may look a little ropey" but have no real idea how this would impact a SKY or DVD feed into the display?

I am looking for advice to see if this SCART to S-VIDEO solution is watchable, or what is the actual loss of quality, versus getting the £90 SCART board for the display? Many thanks in advance.

Hambrook

Hi

Only Sky+ outputs S-Video, not normal Sky boxes.

You would be better off going into the VGA socket using a SCART > VGA cable.

Regards,

Steve

I didn't answer your other question about PQ.

S-Video is actually pretty good to be honest and will certainly satisfy you as a short term solution which is effectively free to you.

With regard to the low bitrate channels looking ropey - well they will do so no matter how you connect them. If anything, they tend to look worse the better the connection is - because the better connection reveals the underlying nastiness!

Steve

You'll be fine then - go for it. It's a surprisingly good solution.

Steve

S-Video to S-Video cable is all you need. Cheaper than s-video to scart and saves having to get the salesman to work out what scart out to s-video means....

S-Video to S-Video cable is all you need. Cheaper than s-video to scart and saves having to get the salesman to work out what scart out to s-video means....

I read that and had to double check - never even new my trusty Pace V2 SKY+ had an S-VIDEO out - thanks for that, I even have a 10m cable lurking round for the days when laptops had S-VIDEO out. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom