• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panny th-37px80 - Is it the right choice?

wor7hy

Standard Member
Evening everybody!
First post here, woo:clap:!

Im thinking about replacing my current 26" sony bravia lcd tv with something to give me the wow factor.

I will be using it to play playstation 3 games, watch tv using a freesat hd box (alot of standard def tv viewing as well) and watch some blu-ray movies through the ps3.

I was thinking about getting the 37px80, i sit pretty much exactly 7ft away and i am concered if 720p will still look good?

Could somebody give me some advice, thank you.

djaustin

Standard Member
Evening everybody!
First post here, woo:clap:!

Im thinking about replacing my current 26" sony bravia lcd tv with something to give me the wow factor.

I will be using it to play playstation 3 games, watch tv using a freesat hd box (alot of standard def tv viewing as well) and watch some blu-ray movies through the ps3.

I was thinking about getting the 37px80, i sit pretty much exactly 7ft away and i am concered if 720p will still look good?

Could somebody give me some advice, thank you.

Excellent choice. for 7ft TV viewing, 37 inches will be about right for TV. We have 42 at 9ft. When adjusted properly...see settings thread, you will see a natural image the Sony could not dream off. This coming from someone who spent the past 8 years watching a 100Hz 28" Sony Wega.

The 720/1080 debate is over-hyped. Source and processing are as important. Get the best of each.

SteveTDCI

Established Member
i picked mine up on saturday and am currently running it in, i've hung on to CRT for far too long, make the decision and jump you really won't be dissapointed.

wor7hy

Standard Member
What about using it for my ps3, im worried about things like screen burn for the health bar and jaggy edges due to 720p :)

If i was to get it, i hear you have to wear them in for 200hours?

Slyboy

Established Member
Well you can see from my footer that I have most of the latest ranges of Pannys and they are great tellys for both TV and in particular gaming.

With regards to the PX80 and gaming, I have mine hooked up to all the latest consoles and they are fine - picture quality is amazing with PS3 and Xbox 360 (dont forget that most games are actually only generated at 720p then upscaled anyway).

Screen burn is not a problem. You may get a small amount of retention if playing one game for very long sessions, which goes after viewing other images. Just be sensible when playing games for a long time. For example I have played Rock Band and GTA4 for long periods (4 hours plus) and afterwards just either put something else on TV for a bit or play a different game for 10 minutes.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom