1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny series 6 - green dots?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by woody123, Jun 30, 2004.

1. woody123

woody123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dear All,

As time goes by I guess I've started to notice things change, my stomach has become larger, my eyesight poorer and my bank balance smaller after I purchased a plasma. That said I've notice an interference problem with the panny.

When the screen has no signal going to it the screen is aa black as the ace of spades. I've two devices attached to the plasma. One DVD player and one Xbox. One connects via component BNC and one via component VGA.

When these display a picture on the plasma I get interference - its only noticeable when the background is black. It is like dancing dark green spots all over the black area - its only notice able when looking at the screen closely. I've also noticed my power supply making a slight buzzing noise.

The DVD player goes through a Yamaha RXV1400 amp but the xbox is direct.

Any ideas please - sorry for the poor picture - if I can get the attachment to work!

Attached Files:

2. Claus

Claus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I had the same problem with my 50" Viera. I calibrated the screen using the DVE but kept getting the green dots. I solved this by playing with the contrast and brightness settings. Tweak them a bit, up or down and the green dots will dissapear. Remember that the contast and brightness settings are interactive.

Good luck!

C

3. woody123

woody123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for the reply Claus I'll try it tonight. Is it just me though but would you not expect a clear black background with no interfernece?

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The green dots do also settle with the plasma after the first few hours. With the screen properley setup you won't notice what is left of them once the panel is run in. Power supplies do buzz though...

5. woody123

woody123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thank you.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    Green dots are a dither artefact. You will find that very careful setting of brightness and /or contrast will help move them to different brightness levels where they my be less noticeable. They are a feature of all plasma's but are more noticeable on some than others.

Gordon

7. woody123

woody123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    cheers Gordon.

8. RemotecUK

RemotecUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im also getting that problem on my Panny series 6. Ive been playing around with the contrast, black extensions etc to try and get rid of them - ill add the brightness into the equation when I get chance to play this weekend.

Just to note, I was looking at some other brands of screen today and they also have green dots in the blacks. However, they didnt seem as noticable as on the Panny.

I hope they settle down after a while - my screen has only done around 20 hours viewing.

When you get into a good movie you dont notice them anyway :D

9. BuzzLightyear

BuzzLightyear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had these green dots .... You REALLY just need to adjust the brightness or contrast to get rid (? wrid - spell)

Buzz

10. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I had them, re-seated by component input board (I assume it's the same for all of them) and it t'was fixed. To check to see if this will work check change out input to VGA - if no green dot's appear on the VGA the chances are re-seating will work.

Worth noting (having read the posts above) that I had a PC connected via VGA which was fine.

11. RemotecUK

RemotecUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Faxfan, Ive reseated my board and its made no difference. Your right though, I dont get them on the VGA input. :)

Buzz, would you mind publishing your settings and I'll change mine to be the same to see if I can reduce them?

Thanks all.

12. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    No getting them on the VGA input does point to it been a potential problem on the input board (not the actual display) - have you re-seated into a different slot? could be worth a try. Thats what I did, although I assume a normal re-seat would do have the same affect.