Panny SD9 footage - PC spec required?!?

jmp_78

Standard Member
Reaction score
Whilst on holiday, I took some Full-HD 1080 sample footage using the Panasonic SD9 on my Class 6 SD card. When I tried watching this back on my PC, the sound plays, but the video is very very choppy...

Time for an upgrade?!? I currently have an AMD Dual Core 4600+, 2GB RAM, and a GeForce 7600GT with 256MB RAM. I assumed that this may take it's time should I come to edit any footage, but thought I could at least play it back!!

Cheers for any advice :)

This question would apply to any current AVCHD camcorder
Do a search and see

However on the face of it your system specs seem more than adequate
Could it be a playback codec rather than hardware issue?
What are you playing back with and what else have you tried?

Thanks for the tips guys. I have played the footage back on my PS3, and it streams from a USB stick no problem - what amazing quality too!

As for my PC, I am using VLC to play it back - sooooo jerky... I re-formatted recently so I know that it's not full of junk. Still, this maybe why I am missing codecs?

Any ideas of other players or codecs I should be trying?

This might be useful

Video Players

It list some video players there's loads of other stuff too.
It has enough to keep you looking for a bit though as it is rather non-specific for your needs. I would Bookmark it, you never know;)

Specifically for avchd playback
NeroShowtime ( from Nero 7,8, 9) has avchd playback that should be fine. It will install a decent codec
Make sure you have ffdshow installed
CoreAVC pro works for some and you can get the trial version. It allow WMP to play your files easily or even better Media player classic
The k-lite codecs I would not reccomend.. They are fine for some , for others they have to do a system restore or even refresh windows. If you must try, back up your system first: Some swear by them though
Most newer versions of Win DVD plus, Power DVD ultra have avchd playback
What would also help is if you use your graphics cards hardware acceleration: might help the processor a bit
Good luck

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom