1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny scht520 to philips 32pf9976 lcd? help!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Amoanster, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Amoanster

Amoanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey there,

I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to home cinema but am picking up alot of info and knowledge from looking at these and other forums. What i would like help with is this, what is the best way to connect my panny scht520 AIO dvd player to a Philips 32pf9976 32" lcd tv. This tv has a DVI input, now from what i can gather this would be the best input for a dvd player? the only problem is, and im not 100% sure on this, is that you need to have progressive scan on the DVD player for the DVI input to work, am i right in saying this? If i am right, it causes me another issue, as i can only get the panny dvd player to run prog scan if the disc is NTSC but my unit is not multi region, so you see my conundrum. The panny also has component out, how could this be connected to my tv as it doesnt seem to have component inputs? and what about s-vhs or RGB scart? what i would like is the best picture quality available but have not got enough knowledge about different connections to make my decision.

I would really appreciate some expert opinion on this or if anyone has the same setup could they enlighten me on how they connected thier system.
    Thanks

Aaron

2. Amoanster

Amoanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Can anyone shed some light for a newbie. :lease:

Aaron

3. Amoanster

Amoanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Anyone :lease: (If i am talking rubbish in the first post please correct me)

4. chris210972

chris210972
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i may be wrong and i'm sure that someone will shoot me down if i am, but the dvi input on the philips only accepts progressive and not interlaced pictures.
    if your dvd player doesn't output pal pro scan then it won't play via the tv's dvi socket.
    the only way of achieving a good picture is rgb scart to rgb scart.
    having said that pal/ntsc pro scan dvd players are really cheap now, i got a pioneer pro scan/scad/dvd audio player from empire direct for £105.00.
    toshiba also do a good pro scan player for 70.00 (ish).

5. chris210972

chris210972
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rgb scart to rgb scart will give u a very, very good picture.

6. Amoanster

Amoanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Is there a lot of difference in the pq from dvi compared to RGB scart to scart? The only reason that this is an issue is because my dvd player is all in one so if i want pal prog scan i will have to have 2 get another dvd player but keep my AIO for the surround which means having 2 dvd players which i did not really want to do.

Aaron

7. chris210972

chris210972
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to be honest i don't the there is much difference, dvi will be slightly better but the pq is very, very good through rgb.
    the advantage of rgb to rgb is that there is no lead required for the audio (component and dvi doesn't carry adudio).
    i'm sure u will be more than happy with the pq frought rgb.

8. Amoanster

Amoanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ok. Thanks for the help mate. :thumbsup: