1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny SCDT310 or SCHT900?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by hornet_boys, Jan 11, 2004.

1. hornet_boys

hornet_boys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all - advice humbly requested.

Given the choice of the 2 systems above what should I go for?

Both systems look good, both sound good (at least to me) and both are at Comet at the moment at £350 - although I am in the process of getting John Lewis to do a price match to get additional 1 years guarantee. Both systems get glowing reports and reviews here and in the magazines.

I will be attaching to a Panasonic tx28ps1 - I also have a Panasonic DVD recorder DMR50 and a panasonic sky digital box and therefore want a panny home cinema system to round off the package.

As a compromise to the wife I can have one so long as I get rid of the current hi-fi system - not a panasonic I hasten to add!!. So it will be used to play cd's as well as dvd's.

I know that the 310 has less connections than the 900 but how will that effect me. The telly has just 2 scarts & I have 3 items to connect so something will have to go in the s-video connector, probably the recorder (am I wrong with this choice?)

Is my decision to be based purely on cosmetics or are there real differences between these machines ?

Thank you in advance anyone who replies to aid my dilemma.

2. cucumber

cucumber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a SCHT900 yesterday and am very happy with it. Don't know much about the other system but the Pani meets my needs well - even the neighbours are happy with the bass *chuckle*

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    SCHT900 is great but as you have limited scart look at a pioneer VCSX301 amp and some suitable speakers.
    But if you must panny up the the 900 and a scart switcher will be the way to go.
    See posts by jem (the resident Panny recorder expert) on how to set-up the E50 for optimum recording

4. hornet_boys

hornet_boys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Hornydragon.

Its definately a Panasonic I am after. But I also want to cut down the remotes I use - if they prove compatable.

I already use a scart switcher but if I'm honest find it a bit of a pain - I'm too lazy to get up and press the button on the box to pick which scart to switch to and also it doesn't automatically switch the telly to the right av channel. Is there such a thing as a powered scart which automatically switches to the right scart and even channel on the telly.

thanks again for the reply - much appreciated.

5. gary_580

gary_580

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive got a 900, not sure why scart is a limitation? any input other than the optical is going to be stereo and there are plenty of phono inputs.

One word of warning you cant send DTS through the optical in on the 900, dont know about the 310

6. cucumber

cucumber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary,

Can you get RGB from the scart on your Pani 900? All the litrature says you can but......

My telly (phillips 36PW9308) just reports back as composite rather than RGB in top left hand of screen when I change channels to DVD output. I know the telly receives RGB through it's connection as I get Sky in RGB.

Any ideas?

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    cucumber which scart on the TV is the 900 connected too? Not al will take RGB so try swapping it with sky box

8. hornet_boys

hornet_boys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Hornydragon

I've been looking around and had somewhat of a rethink - I am now considering a seperates system built around my panny e50.
    I can get the VSXC301 for £160 from Richer Sounds and would like to ask if you or anyone else could recommend some decent speakers (budget of £200). Should I go for Pioneer speakers or does that not matter?
    I've spent so much time looking and researching etc on the internet my head is spinning and I seem to be back to square one.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    YEp Tannoy FX5.1 for £200 would go well £200 at unbeatable IIRC perfect with an E50 what else do you have??? PS2? etc etc Sky?

10. hornet_boys

hornet_boys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have xbox (but happy to use that upstairs on the bedroom telly!!) and a sky digital box.

Strangely enough I have been looking at the Tannoys - £199 again at Richer Sounds are they any good? Also seen recommendations for Eltax Spectrum at only £99. This is where I start getting confused - do you get what you pay for i.e. the more I spend the better equipment I get. My head really hurts now!!

What else would I need to connect all of this to the dvd and telly as presumely the speakers and receiver would be without cables.

I have 2 Thor scart leads at present so what should I budget for the other required cables?

One last question and this will really show my ignorance - is the receiver the same thing as an amp - does it do the same job?

Excuse all the questions but I really do not have a clue.

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    reciever is an amp with a radio tuner (normally) An optical cable for DVD (£9.99 at B&Q) another scart lead and for Xbox an Advanced AV pack Games in surround really work!
    Thats all really the Tannoys come with cables IIRC and the pio has scart sockets so DVD>PIO SKY>PIO>XBOX>PIO PIO to TV all on scart + optical for DVD and XBOX or SKY>DVD>DVD>PIO>TV (keeping recordig in RGB)

Not sure if Pio were sensible enough to include RGB loop for VCR(DVD-R)

SO really simple.

12. hornet_boys

hornet_boys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help Hornydragon - very much appreciated.

BTW what do know about Mordaunt Short Premier speakers package - down from £650 to £300 again at Richer Sounds - does the extra £100 compared to the Tannoys warrant a purchase. I have read rave reviews.

edit - just found the speakers for £250 at hifi confidential.

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    MS prems were never £650! they were SSP of £500, nice thing about the tannoys (were: £479 if you beleive what they quote)
    small silver an ubobtrusive.
    Prems are better but larger (only floor stands available are useless) not to keep on the sub (never am with packaged subs) only come i cherry and graphite, neither of which i like, Oddly look good in silver but are branded Marrantz and more money!!!
    depends if you like small satellites and a sub or have room for proper floor standing fronts like these:
    http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_4318.html
    Add http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_15909.html Or wait and get a S/H higher spec sub personally i think the eltax system would sound better than the Tannoy system but thats not based on listening (havent heard either) but experience.

14. hornet_boys

hornet_boys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the wife would appreciate smaller speakers and I have to keep her happy!! so will probably settle for tannoys.

Looks like a visit to Richer Sounds at the weekend.

Many thanks again Hornydragon.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Quick tip buy the latest mag with RS add in it print details off web page and call tomorrow and ask if they have stock (if you want one) if so reserve one in your name (RS often have different prices on web and when you quote website price, instore stock vanishes!) Dont let them talk you into owt else without a full demo of both bits of kit (try and demo anyway)PS pay by barclaycard and 12 months extended warranty (also nationwide CC)

16. gary_580

gary_580

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

id get your scart lead checked out, or check you 900 settings. I get RGB from the 900. Must admit did have to get my telly sorted as i got a blue picture at first. Now works ok in RGB

17. gary_580

gary_580

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes good point too make sure your using a RGB enable scart input on the TV. My tv has 5 scart inputs but olny 2 will accept RGB.

18. cucumber

cucumber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you people.

I think I've done both of the above but still no luck. I'll have another play.