Panny, Samsung or LG?

Not a clue

Standard Member
I've done a lot of reading of threads here over the last few days, and I *think* I've narrowed my TV purchase down to the following:

Panasonic TXP50VT30B - £899 (inc. 5-year guarantee)

Samsung PS51D8000 - £840 (inc. 5-year guarantee)

LG 47LM620T - ~£770 (inc. 5-year guarantee)

In order of time spent (most:least) I'd say my usage is: Console gaming/broadcast SDTV/PC gaming/Blu-ray

I'm not overly fussed about how broadcast TV looks to be honest, but do want my gaming and films to look nice. The Panasonic I understand is the best overall picture quality, though the Samsung has the best motion processing and the LG the brightest screen (what with it being passive). I'm very keen to enjoy 3D, be it through playing around with the 2D->3D conversion or dedicated 3D content (i.e. Blu-rays).

Would the Panasonic, at that price, be the best deal? I'm upgrading from a 5-year old Samsung 40" panel, so whatever I get I imagine will impress me regardless.

Klingenberg

Standard Member
Why vt30 and d8000?

The ST50 is roughly the same price, and picturewise has been rated better than the VT30 by a lot of top critics + has build improvements and bluetooth, which means it supports the new 3d glasses(huge benefit if youre keen on 3d).

The same goes for the D7000 vs the D8000(both also have bluetooth 3d glasses), with only differences being the 8000 has a different stand and a qwerty remote(android app for both is much faster anyway).

In general, 2011 samsungs offers lot more value that 2012 samsungs, while panasonic's 2012 models has improved significantly. ST50 equals, or is maybe a bit better picturewise than D7000/D8000, although samsungs smart tv platform and android allshare offers more "smart" functions.

Id probably stay away from the LG.

Last edited:

Not a clue

Standard Member
The VT30 and D8000 are because they are the models in Costco (so the 5-year guarantee is included). From my brief look at the ST50 it would be around £200 more (£999 for the TV, £100 for the guarantee at Richer Sounds). The ST doesn't come with glasses either, does it? So that's another £100 for a couple of pairs?

vickster

Distinguished Member
I would choose the D8000 especially at that price - very good feedback, not as good blacks as the Panasonic, but the 2011 models come with all manner of potential issues (although unparallelled when perfect really)

Too many possible issues with the LG too, banding, backlight bleed, smaller - unless you musty have passive 3D

gringottsdirect

From my brief look at the ST50 it would be around £200 more (£999 for the TV, £100 for the guarantee at Richer Sounds). The ST doesn't come with glasses either, does it? So that's another £100 for a couple of pairs?
Panasonic sell the 50ST50 @ £999.99 including their 5 Year Guarantee, if you collect or visit the store before delivery, with two pairs of 3D glasses by redemption worth £49.99 each, through their own shops, or some of them at least.
Just been looking at changing a 50PZ700 and thats what I was quoted.

Klingenberg

Standard Member
The VT30 and D8000 are because they are the models in Costco (so the 5-year guarantee is included). From my brief look at the ST50 it would be around £200 more (£999 for the TV, £100 for the guarantee at Richer Sounds). The ST doesn't come with glasses either, does it? So that's another £100 for a couple of pairs?
That's kind of the catch. The 2011 pannys doesn't have bluetooth but infrared glasses, which first of all means that glasses are harder to find and more expensive + bluetooth keeps sync better.

Second of all, samsung, panny, lg and all other active 3d manufacturers will use bluetooth as standard 3d glasses, and are working together on creating universal glasses. Most bluetooth glasses from samsung, panny, sony, etc already is compatible with each other + you can bring them to friends houses.

What is your retail options? Can you use amazon?

Last edited:

Not a clue

Standard Member
That's kind of the catch. The 2011 pannys doesn't have bluetooth but infrared glasses, which first of all means that glasses are harder to find and more expensive + bluetooth keeps sync better.

Second of all, samsung, panny, lg and all other active 3d manufacturers will use bluetooth as standard 3d glasses, and are working together on creating universal glasses. Most bluetooth glasses from samsung, panny, sony, etc already is compatible with each other + you can bring them to friends houses.

What is your retail options? Can you use amazon?
I can use Amazon, yeah. Retail-wise I have Costco, Richer Sounds, a Panasonic store all accessible and a John Lewis I could probably get to. Interesting deal that gringotts mentions there, I should probably go and investigate that. Having a hassle-free guarantee is important (hence places like Currys and Comet wouldn't be considered).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom