Panny S75 questions

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by HMHB, Nov 12, 2003.

1. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    I think it's time to replace my ageing LG player and was interested in the S75 as it has the ability to play RAM disks (hopefully I will get a recorder in the not too distant future!).
    Does anyone use this player with a normal 32" television and is the picture quality good ? All the threads I have looked through refer to plasmas and pjs.
    Looking on the player list on Avland it states that it doesn't have inbuild DD5.1/DTS decoders, yet all the others say it does, which is correct ?
    I was looking at Avland or Techtronics or multiregion magic too buy it on line. Are these all reputable and is the multiregion hack that they do of the same standard ?

2. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    JohnG,

This is one seriously underpriced player.

Yes it has an inbuilt decoder and more ....

does JPEG, NTSC prog scan, DVD Audio, plays RAM and does it in style all for buttons, I paid £125 MR way back in August from Sound and Vision in Bolton, done £££'s of business and had fantastic service.

The only downside is one Scart, overall 9/10

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    Cheers Ged. At not much over £100 it has to be worth me getting one I think.

4. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A friend of mine recently bought one of these players and I spent last Friday evening viewing The Lion King (his wife loved it, but poor Dave... :devil: ). It appears to be a lovely little player (emphasis on the little!), runs DVDs at least as well as any other player I've seen and far, far better than his previous free-with-a-mobile Goodmans :smashin: ;) and his nice and speedy with the old jpegs on CDs, should you have any around.

The player has some nice setup options for tailoring the image just that little bit more (brightness, contrast... that kind of thing) and in terms of detail, had no problem displaying the occasional colour banding during The Lion King (on a 29" 4:3 TV). I've since suggested that my brother add one to his player shortlist, so I guess it's okay! :clap:

5. mike5

mike5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The multi format playback of the player is good, but it can be tempremental with some of my DVDs, when Ive played Time after Time, and cats eye, and The Persuaders the picture breaks up in pixels for a few seconds in certain places of the films, Tried the discs in my other players Panasonic E50 and the old toshiba SD3109 and they play them fine.So not as marvellous as it it is cracked up to be

6. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using one of these with a 32" CRT after bad experiences with a Toshiba 330. I really like it although I understand why some think it a bit slow in loading discs. A particular plus point is the zoom modes - one of which is tailored to exactly fit 2.35:1 picture to the 1.85:1 screen. Most players just give you 2x and 4x or, if you're lucky 1.5:1. And the softening is often unacceptable when you use the 2x or 1.5x mode. Not so the Panny - yes the images are very slightly softer on zoom but only slightly and if anything the result is more filmic - well worth it to rewatch my 2.35:1 movies without black bars and so much more involving...