panny S75 - PAL prog hack?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Player Multiregion Hacks' started by GadgetObsessed, Aug 14, 2003.

1. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +633
    This model has NTSC progressive output. Does anyone know if there is a PAL progressive hack or any retailers selling a PAL ps modified version? (I can only find multiregion mods)

Also does anyone with one of these DVDs know if it has any settings that can be used to adjust the black level. I have a Panny 36PD30 TV and these sets seem to crush the black level via RGB or component. (Does not do this on composite or Svideo though).

2. azz

azz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I do not think the pannys75 can be chipped to output Pal PS. I have looke but no joy.

I have on order a s75 and a panny 32PD30. whats it like. I intend to watch freeview and dvd via component?

I have the what video mag(sep03) and they are saying there are some niggles with the tv w.r.t shimmering of moving objects and problems with the colour when using component video. But i still went for the TV because the philips is ugly and has lack of inputs and the picture seems to grainy for my taste.

Thanks

azz

3. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +633
    See my thread in the TV Forum about RGB inputs on the PD30.

Basically I lose all detail in dark areas of the screen via RGB but not via svideo or composite. Other owners are finding the same issue with component as well as RGB. Some people don't seem to have a problem.

The set was swapped on Tuesday and the new set is only a little better (Sky+ is now fine but RGB for the DVD is still poor).

However, the picture quality on my new set (Sky+ via RGB, DVD via svideo) is superb - litterally the best that I have seen on any display. It is worth noting that he picture quality on my previous set was not as good. The colours were somehow wrong - either far too strong or dull and I was never really happy with it. Now the colours are perfect.

I'm wondering if it is some compatibility problem between the TV and DVD. When you get yours I would be interested in seeing if this problem shows up when using a Panasonic DVD player.

4. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know about a hack for pal PS, but the player has settings for adjusting contrast, brightness and gamma, as well as a number of other settings.

I have a philips set with a dark RGB picture but the panny s75 has sorted that out for me.

hope this helps

5. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +633
    What does the gamma setting do?

6. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The gamma setting gently lightens the overall dark portions of the picture, it ranges from 0 to +5.

7. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +633
    gamma setting sounds like exactly what I need on a DVD player for my PD30.

This player has NTSC PAL progressive. With a Region 2/PAL DVD can you output that as NTSC progressive?

8. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've no idea about the possible pal PS thing as I bought the player for it's ability to be able to tweak the video settings, and get the perfect picture on my philips 6006, which is notorious for it's dark RGB issues.

I must admit the picture on this player is superb, it's especially good at picking out detail in the background using the inbuilt depth enhancer.

I bought it from http://www.digital-point.co.uk/