Panny S75 compared with modern players?

stanleyntl

Novice Member
How does the performance and build of the Panasonic S75 compare with more modern players?
Do later Panny players better it? e.g. those using higher clocked/higher bit Video DACs, such as S49 (108Mhz/12bit) or S97 (216Mhz/11 bit).

My dealer still has stock of the S75, but also has S49 - ummm???

S75 owners or formers S75 owners - advice please!

Cable Monkey

Novice Member
I like my S75. I have recently had a bad attack of upgrade fever so it was relegated to second player, but not through any real fault of its own. I don't think it does PAL progressive though which may be a reason to opt for the S49. (I am guessing the S49 does...)

AcademicBarzo

S75 was an excellent little player, but it is only NTSC prog scan. If PAL prog scan is not an issue, S75 is a cracker. Note, however, that the S49 seems much like a mildly improved S75 - has PAL prog scan and DIVX playback. My brother (who inherited my S75) recently bought the s49 for its PAL prog scan capabilities and he is very happy with it. So, I suppose what I'm saying is that the s49 has no disadvantages over the S75, so if you are buying today, ths s49 is the player to go for. If you already have a S75, unless you need PAL prog scan and DIVX, keep it!

Hope that helps
Warren

F

Fluffy-Bunny

I have a S75, and its a nice little player.

Im not sure what DAC the S75 has, maybe a 54Mhz - 10 Bit one as far as I know...?

Isn't the bog standard 27Mhz - 10 bit?

stanleyntl

Novice Member
Fluffy-Bunny : I see you have an S97 too. Is this much better than the S75 on
analogue video?
I know the S97 is no more, just curious.
I saw an S29 at a dealers (with Panny PV500), not impressed - imprecise images, dot crawl/moiring on deep reds - yukk! But I know the S75 was well received by press, so can breathe easy here.

Barzo : cheers for the feedback, looking on eBAY at the minute. Can get by without PAL PROG until my CRT set expires. Hopefully SED sets will be more affordable by then.

F

Fluffy-Bunny

stanleyntl said:
Fluffy-Bunny : I see you have an S97 too. Is this much better than the S75 on
analogue video?
I know the S97 is no more, just curious.
I saw an S29 at a dealers (with Panny PV500), not impressed - imprecise images, dot crawl/moiring on deep reds - yukk! But I know the S75 was well received by press, so can breathe easy here.

Barzo : cheers for the feedback, looking on eBAY at the minute. Can get by without PAL PROG until my CRT set expires. Hopefully SED sets will be more affordable by then.
'

Cable Monkey

Novice Member
stanleyntl said:
Cable Monkey, is your Denon streets ahead of the S75 then?
Oh, yes :D
But perhaps not for such obvious reasons. The 3910 fulfills my quest for a truly universal player where nothing it does is done badly. So saying I considered the S75 a little gem that came close. I wasn't progressive capable when I owned it, it prompted my first DVD-Audio purchases and would play any combination of recordable discs. It is just that with increased availability of SACD, and a plasma purchase, I needed something more capable. It still does stirling service for my girlfriend as a DVD only player.

F

Fluffy-Bunny

stanleyntl said:
Have you compared the Panny S75 against the Panny S97?
Not the Pioneer on your original reply.
LOL, its amazing how similar S75 and 575 look when you're tired... :hiya:

No I have not done direct comparisons i'm afraid, though I can say the S75 was a superb little player, though I do think there are better players out there at the moment for very little money.
Saying that the S75 does do a fine job indeed, its just a pity it has no PAL progressive scan, and that Europe was fobbed off with an inferiour de-interlacer compared to the US model (which was Genesis I believe).

stanleyntl

Novice Member
Fluffy-Bunny said:
Europe was fobbed off with an inferior de-interlacer compared to the US model (which was Genesis I believe).
On the Panasonic Canada site the S77 features DCDi deinterlacing, and the S49 doesn't. So if I had gone for the S49 - the prog scan, might not be the best, or then again...
Will have to wait til Panny UK get their act together and release another top model...that features good deinterlacing.
In the meantime the S75 should do for me.

If Denon/Marantz/Pioneer had variable zoom like Panny players - they'd be getting my money. :thumbsdow

Not taken at all by build/remote of Tosh 350 despite good picture. :thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom