1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny S49 or Samsung 850/950?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stanleyntl, Jul 28, 2005.

1. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Which of the two players gives the best analogue video output - RGB scart and component (I don't have a digital display)?
    Feature wise I would favour the Panny, and could see one locally. But no one stocks Samsung locally, (Worthing, Sussex), so no demo! :(
    Any AVphiles compared Panny with Samsung?

2. Godvrey

Godvrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased a Samsung HD850 from an online retailer. The build quality was OK - not particularly heavy duty but I guess that can't be expected from something for about £90, but notably the tray was pretty thin and seemed quite cheap. It's nice and slim looking, in brushed steel, and overal impressions were that it looked a smart piece of kit.

The main attraction from my point of view was that the player has an HDMI output, which is a big bonus considering that seems to be the way things are heading and I intend to buy a HDMI projector sometime soon. Picture quality was very good, and infact my only quibble would be that you get a frame freeze effect when fastforwarding on anything faster than 2x speed, which makes it difficult to see what you're doing. It also plays pretty much any kind of disc format going, including DivX and Mp3 formats, which is handy. The only exception is that it doesn't support SVCD or audio DVD, but I think the 950 does. As another note, it's not multi region but you can get remote hacks off the net which remove the block.

After all this though, I ended up sending it back because I was unhappy with the audio quality. I had it hooked up to my amp with a quality digital coax, but found that the audio kind of blended into one, with no distinct separation of instruments/voices/effects etc. Playback of CD's was poor too - even with the digital input the player wasn't as good as a 10 year old Sherwood CD player I have hooked up with analogue leads.

Sound quality is pretty important to me, so obviously take my findings with this in mind - I think i'm prepared to spend around the £400+ mark to get something that's very good with sound, including cd's, but I hope this info helps.

3. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    What are you comparing this too? Im just wondering as im considering getting an 850, but am now concerned the audio may be lacking.......