Panny S-VHS - model number confusion

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by dave48, Sep 7, 2002.

Tags:
  1. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was hoping never to buy another vid, but my Philips which has given me long and trusted service for many years decided to stop working last week.

Since I was using the vid as a TV tuner, I'm a bit stuck at the moment (the tuner of my Philips TV packed up a couple of years ago, although the TV itself is otherwise fine).

I'm looking to go for an S-VHS vid this time, since the quality of normal VHS was always a bit miserable.

I get the impression that Panasonic are clear market leaders here, so I'll narrow the choice down to them. What I'm looking for is:

- a vid that works as a best-possible TV tuner
    - s-video input and output
    - very good quality recording, also preferably reasonable quality on VHS tapes too, if poss
    - build quality that will survive a reasonable number of years, but doesn't need to be a tank
    - I don't need any fancy editing facilities
    - don't think tape library stuff is important, since I'm not quite sure I even understand what this does

The current Panasonic models seem to be 830, 880, 930 - but there are also models such as 825 (quite a bit more expensive than the 830?) and the 870 around.

What's the best one to go for? I don't have a fixed budget, but I don't want to spend £100 extra on fancy features that you never need if there isn't e.g. a radical improvement in picture quality.

Ta,

Dave48

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    NV-HS830BS that's the one.
    Assuming you don't want to pay more and buy a Panasonic DMR-E30 DVD recorder :) .

3. gz5ztg

gz5ztg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I agree with the 830, very good quality and well made too.

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Don't overlook the JVC range.

I've had 3 Panny SVHS players over the years but was dissapointed in the last one I purchsed (can't remember the model), it was cheaply made and the SVHS picture was awful.

V happy with my current JVC HRS 8850.

5. gz5ztg

gz5ztg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    however the current range of cheaper JVCs are awful. For 150 quid, the Panasonic 830 is amuch better machine than the equivalent JVC.