Panny S-VHS - model number confusion

dave48

I was hoping never to buy another vid, but my Philips which has given me long and trusted service for many years decided to stop working last week.

Since I was using the vid as a TV tuner, I'm a bit stuck at the moment (the tuner of my Philips TV packed up a couple of years ago, although the TV itself is otherwise fine).

I'm looking to go for an S-VHS vid this time, since the quality of normal VHS was always a bit miserable.

I get the impression that Panasonic are clear market leaders here, so I'll narrow the choice down to them. What I'm looking for is:

- a vid that works as a best-possible TV tuner
- s-video input and output
- very good quality recording, also preferably reasonable quality on VHS tapes too, if poss
- build quality that will survive a reasonable number of years, but doesn't need to be a tank
- I don't need any fancy editing facilities
- don't think tape library stuff is important, since I'm not quite sure I even understand what this does

The current Panasonic models seem to be 830, 880, 930 - but there are also models such as 825 (quite a bit more expensive than the 830?) and the 870 around.

What's the best one to go for? I don't have a fixed budget, but I don't want to spend £100 extra on fancy features that you never need if there isn't e.g. a radical improvement in picture quality.

Ta,

Dave48

gringottsdirect

Originally posted by dave48
- a vid that works as a best-possible TV tuner
- s-video input and output
- very good quality recording, also preferably reasonable quality on VHS tapes too, if poss
- build quality that will survive a reasonable number of years, but doesn't need to be a tank
- I don't need any fancy editing facilities
- don't think tape library stuff is important, since I'm not quite sure I even understand what this does

The current Panasonic models seem to be 830,
What's the best one to go for?
NV-HS830BS that's the one.
Assuming you don't want to pay more and buy a Panasonic DMR-E30 DVD recorder :) .

badsimian

Originally posted by gringottsdirect

NV-HS830BS that's the one.
Assuming you don't want to pay more and buy a Panasonic DMR-E30 DVD recorder :) .
I agree with the 830, very good quality and well made too.

Kevo

Don't overlook the JVC range.

I've had 3 Panny SVHS players over the years but was dissapointed in the last one I purchsed (can't remember the model), it was cheaply made and the SVHS picture was awful.

V happy with my current JVC HRS 8850.

badsimian

Originally posted by Kevo
Don't overlook the JVC range.

I've had 3 Panny SVHS players over the years but was dissapointed in the last one I purchsed (can't remember the model), it was cheaply made and the SVHS picture was awful.

V happy with my current JVC HRS 8850.
however the current range of cheaper JVCs are awful. For 150 quid, the Panasonic 830 is amuch better machine than the equivalent JVC.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom