1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny -"RECOVER"

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Boss1, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Boss1

Boss1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst recording to dvd-R my Panny E60 closed down and cme up with the 'Recover' error msg on the screen. The manual says this is due to a mainsfailure -- this is not true in this case. I don't know what caused it but it certainly wasn't a mains problem.
    Could it be a faulty blank disc?

2. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    More than likely. That's what happened with one of mine.

3. shaolin

shaolin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive had a panasonic e50 for about 8 months and its gone into recovery 5 or 6 times always while using a dvd-r

4. Boss1

Boss1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks folks.
    What type of blank dvd-r's would you recommend and from where?

5. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SVP/121Cdr are who I always use as a supplier ...

Since the first week of ownership while trying out a couple of different cheapos and getting RECOVER repeatedly ... I now use nothing but datawrite classic yellow 4x discs with my panny e50 ... no probs/never a freezeup/never a coaster and also bonus of 4x burning in my PCs

6. carl310166

carl310166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was getting the same problem on xmas day (see E50 big problems) thread. it turned out to be the discs,but i had already burned some,so it confused me a bit...out of the batch of 25,20 did not work..these were choice dvds from bigpockets.(£14.75 for 25)...so i bought 10 memorex for £24.99 ouch!! these worked perfectly...i then bought 25 datawrte classic greys for £15.99 from a guy on ebay,these have all worked faultlessly so far....i am waiting for 75 datawrite classic greys to come from bigpockets,i hope these will work o.k.....does anybody think we should start a sticky thread about compatability for the E50 ?

7. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no need ... SVP/121Cdr list under each blank disc for sale which recorders/pc drives it is compatible/recommended for use with (and no have nothing to do with them except I give them too much money too often of late)

8. carl310166

carl310166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bigpockets have chart with tick boxes,to say which recorder is compatable with what media,this did not help me...unless i was unlucky with a batch!..

9. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Don't give up with a disc that has failed to write, it often will on the second or third attemp. particularly if there were any traces of dust on it.
    Try putting the title on a blank disc after inserting it but before recording to it. If it will take a title it will normally work ok later.

Compatibility seems to vary from batch to batch and between machines. My HS2 seems to like datawrite yellow, and I have had no problem with the reds, but these must be finalised before removing from the machine otherwise they will not read when re-inserted.

10. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Given that lissues concerning longevity of discs are now being raised from respectable sources, I always go for branded products i.e. Panasonic, TDK, Maxell etc. Yes you pay more, but I want my recordings to last the distance. A lot of the discs that are for sale from these obscure companies are simply graded products from the big brand manufacturers i.e. SECONDS. The old saying still holds true - you get what you pay for.

11. fredl

fredl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've bought memorex 5-packs (in jewelcases) for my e50 and so far 4/10 fails to record and makes the recorder go into recovery mode.

12. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    careful with generalisations ... Datawrite are by no means 'seconds' and AFAIK "Datawrite classic yellow" discs are one of the most recommended blank types for use in the panny e30/50/60/100/hs series of recorders

13. carl310166

carl310166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    going back to my choice dvds,after reading some advice on the forums,i reloaded them into the machine for the second time,THIS time,it DID give me the option of entering a title (it did not do this previously) but i did not actually enter a title because it was just testing it before recording..everything looked fine,i pressed record,but after 45 seconds (apparently this is the buffer)it went into recover again,i did not try them again,perhaps i will as a test,but i did split the remainder,and gave them to two workmates,who tested them for me (one has an E50,the other,a pc with dvd writer) they both returned them to me advising as failures,one of the guys ALWAYS uses ritek 04 dye discs,but i have heard other people having trouble with them.
    anyway,my conlusion so far is....pot luck !!!!

14. fredl

fredl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you need to enter a title to be sure of media compatibility. My failed memorex discs can't be titled.

15. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    As I said previously you get what you pay for. I haven't even had a hiccup using branded media i.e. big name brands, never mind a failure, and I have used plenty -R discs archiving all my old VHS. There's no such thing as a free lunch, but ignore the advice and keep buying cheap. All my stuff is now archived and works perfectly.

16. carl310166

carl310166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    where do you buy your branded media,and if you don't mind,how much do you pay?

17. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Usually at my local Panasonic Eshop -R £19.00 for ten genuine Panny discs, I doubt you will have any failures with these.