Panny PX80 Overscan issue

ian lochrie

Standard Member
Not sure what to have this on - Prefer the overscan off but sometimes especially when i have got my Panasonic dmrex85 dvd recorders navigation menu on and other instances not all they is a small black and white strip at the top of the screen going along for just over the first half of it . I remember reading months ago on here about the secret menu and moving the horizontal ect shift on overscan off . Can anyone help .

:smashin:

steverobertsbbc

Not sure what to have this on - Prefer the overscan off but sometimes especially when i have got my Panasonic dmrex85 dvd recorders navigation menu on and other instances not all they is a small black and white strip at the top of the screen going along for just over the first half of it . I remember reading months ago on here about the secret menu and moving the horizontal ect shift on overscan off . Can anyone help .
This doesn't answer your question, but I can tell you what the strip is. The pattern of black and white dots is called AFD - Active Format Descriptor - and it's used to carry information about the aspect ratio of the picture within the video signal, so that a TV can automatically switch to 4:3 or 16:9 etc.

matt41

And how does one find the service menu...for the 50 PX8 in my case.

Dave_nt

I thought overscan should only by off for HD? For SD the picture doesn't fill the screen with overscan off, for me anyway.
Overscan only zooms in by 2.5% so you're not missing much (if anything for SD).

audiphile76

Thats true. I have had my overscan off for SD due to the top line which runs to more than half the length only when using an external tuner. With the PX80 internal tuner i dont see it. But...when i started using the HDMI connection running from the external tuner to my PX80, i dont see that line and hence i keep the overscan option off permanently :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom