Panny PX70

T

tingull

Hi guys i'd like to say hi to you all and thanks for the info i have had reading this forum. :D

Right here goes....
What i want to know is has anyone had a dealings with Play.com in regards to purchasing a tv or any electrical item, as they have the panny px70 there for £949.99 with free delivery the desktop stand one. Just wondered if anyone had bought something from them and had to get it fixed under warranty what they was like thats all.
Ive been looking at loads of tv's but it seems that the panny shines out from the rest for the price for its blacks and SD PQ too. Glad i found this forum as i would have just gone and bought the first nice looking tv i saw, without not knowing anything really about it, as magazines are not allways the answer as whats they think about a tv is not allways what you would think, everyone see's the PQ different.

Well thanks allot guys :thumbsup:

tingull

Barthez

imo i wouldn't buy from play.com, especially if you are asking if they will fix it under warranty.

Just spend another £49 and buy it from John Lewis and get a FREE 5year warranty is what i would do and have done.

J80FAB

You'd be crazy to buy such an expensive item from Play.com.

Don't think it's a good idea especially as someone on this forum ordered a 42PX70 from them & it went missing and they didn't know where it was !!! :eek:

Hope he got a satisfactory result in the end.

Anyway, you only have to go to pricerunner.com, stick in the model number & you get plenty of prices which are lower than the £950 and include delivery in most cases.

As Barthez says, you may want to try John Lewis instore. At least for the same price of £950 you would get a 5 year guarantee included.

T

tingull

it is including ped and delivery yes, i rang them and confirmed it, but i'll not bother as the guys said best have a look elsewhere get some warranty too other than the 12 month...You never know.

Thx tingull :D

Digger

Sorry tingull, that was more aimed at Barthez. I thought that John Lewis would charge their full £99 for the ped. So just checking if anyone has got the px70 with ped and delivery from JL for £950

CJ90000

Nope dont think anyone has managed to get JL down to £950 for tv + ped

usually tv is pricematched to £899 and then add in the price of JL pedestal which is another £99 i think.

then youve also got the chance of delivery charge. Which they might or might not charge depending on whether your PM has a delivery charge as well. But some folk got away with no delivery charge because they collected.

Unless someone has found the pedestal itself cheaper somewhere and done a pricematch with JL.

norfbech

£899 incl delivery & 5 year warranty & £25 for tilting bracket (chasedirect via amazon) £924 total.
It's a great price considering how much this is being charged elsewhere...but the banks now totally broken :( ...and I have to pick up a cheapish DVD player and further down the line a cheapish 5:1 surround sound system (Richer sounds?).
I'd really love build up a top end cine system but other urgent expenses have top priority.
I do digital video/music work...so therefore on a more positive note this may be put down as tax :)
My camera shoots in 720p so it will be nice to view footage other than the mac and old 28" CRT, at least via composite at this stage...see I'm feeling better about this spends already!

RONGREENY

Apparently the 37" version is better with SD as its a smaller screen and the 42 suffers a little like all bigger screens with SD
So has anyone found a better deal than John Lewis at £899 inc delivery and 5 yr guarantee. In particular has anyone managed to price match it locally cheaper. I know the Cheadle JL store had it but now have put it back up to £899 as they dont have any in stock so say the PM is therefore not valid.
Thats without stand by the way.

Wigandave

Just to share my thoughts. Like you tingull I read around the AV forums and am so pleased I did. Would have gone and chosen my new TV based on a display in Currys before finding the great info on here. Had decided on a Sony LCD and then switched to the PX70 after the reviews it was getting and am so pleased I did. Only HD source is my PS3 which looks amazing and the SD channels through Freeview are mostly fine (although ITV4 was rubbish for Chelsea-Valencia last night). Still in run-in mode but seems the picture has 'warmed up' and getting even better. Am so happy with this TV you can't imagine!

Quick warning with Play.com. I placed an order for this telly and 'security checks' were ongoing 4 days later! I have no problem combating fraud but when told the delivery would take 3-5 working days on top (website states 'Usually dispatched in 24 hrs') I got fed up, cancelled and picked up from ED with 3 yr warranty that night.

Would fully recommend the TV. You'll love it!

Wigandave

I got the 42" by the way. If you're not gonna sit stupidly close to the screen PQ on SD material will be fine. (I don't work for Panny either!)

CJ90000

Theres at least 5 or 6 dealers doing deals around the £900 mark (including pedestal and delivery) anytime you click on the partner sites link offers at the top of the page. Each time i click on it the prices seem to get cheaper :D

J80FAB

Pixmania are doing this set for £878.08

I'm hopin to be picking one up in the next few weeks

That's for screen-only remember, not the pedestal stand eventhough they are showing it with in the picture.

Once you add their delivery charge or charge for picking up instore then it works out just as much as anywhere else for the screen only.

At that price you might aswell try to get it from somewhere like John Lewis with the 5 year guarantee. If things go wrong at least you should get a decent level of service as is supposedly not the case with Pixmania.

Kevstir

and if anything goes wrong you have to pay to ship it back to pixmania in France, an other thing is its a very bad company, do a search on google, it wont take you long to make your mind up..

sibleyj

Standard Member
Dixons have the 37inch for £803 with pedestal and free delivery. Not sure about their aftersales services though, and manaufacturers guarantee only.

J80FAB

Dixons have the 37inch for £803 with pedestal and free delivery. Not sure about their aftersales services though, and manaufacturers guarantee only.

Dixons is probably just as good a company as Pixmania :rotfl:

Actually if I'm not mistaken I think that DSG Retail Ltd. (Currys, Dixons & PC World) either are the sole owners or part owners of Pixmania which has its presence felt in many European countries @ www.pixmania.com .

Never bought anything from Pixmania, but there's stuff on there like European variants of stuff sold in the UK that are sometimes a better buy than the same form of the product sold over here. So it's tempting to buy from them eventhough there are some bad customer experiences knocking about.

I think if you are going to buy from Pixmania best to read their terms & conditions before doing so and pay with your credit card to add an element of security in case something goes wrong.

RONGREENY

In case you havent already found this out, here is a way to get either the 37 or the 42" at a good price.

John lewis sell with 5 year warranty plus free delivery. Screen only - ped stand is £99 and cabinet is £299.
However the store in Peterborough has had to reduce the 42" down to £899 to match a competitor. This morning I also found that a store in their area had the 37" at £749- a saving of £150. I challenged this and Peterboro rang me from JL and said they would reduce it to £749 due to their price promise.
So - if you contact your local JL (see their website for list of stores) and tell them that you want a pricematch against Peterboro for either then you will save £200 on the 42inch and £150 on the 37 inch. PLUS you get a 5 year warranty free! You can order over the phone with your credit card.
I took the plunge and went for the 42 with cabinet, delivery (cost me £30 as I was out of area) and 5 yr warranty at £1228.
Arent JL just great!

dognuts

Richer sounds price match any UK based company (web or high street).I asked the other week about matching Play.com on a 42" PX70 and was told no problem.They also offer a 3 year warrantly for £100(I think).

forrestgump

richersounds won't send an engineer out to fix your plasma, JL do! don't just think about the lowest price peeps, think about the after sales service, after all a plasma is a hefty piece of kit that is very difficult to re-package to return if a fault develops, JL send someone out to your house or at least they did with my pioneer, so what if other retailers are a few quid cheaper, 5 years guarantee as standard plus price match, it's a no brainer, just a pity JL do not sell the 50 inch panny as that is what I am getting soon!!! LOL, life's a bitch

Barthez

could i just add that anybody wanting the cab version from the JL Price Match would pay £899 for screen and then £299 for cabinet as an extra.

If you want to save another £75 then just buy your screen from JL for £899 so you get your warranty and buy the Cabinet from pixmania.com as it is only £210 + £16 delivery fee.

i wouldn't really touch pixmania but you can't go too wrong ordering a cabinet i wouldn't have thought.

dognuts

richersounds won't send an engineer out to fix your plasma, JL do! don't just think about the lowest price peeps, think about the after sales service, after all a plasma is a hefty piece of kit that is very difficult to re-package to return if a fault develops, JL send someone out to your house or at least they did with my pioneer, so what if other retailers are a few quid cheaper, 5 years guarantee as standard plus price match, it's a no brainer, just a pity JL do not sell the 50 inch panny as that is what I am getting soon!!! LOL, life's a bitch

Thats not what the geezer in Richer Sounds told me.He said it is an at home fix.To be honest,the JL deal is better,i was merely offering another option.

CJ90000

the dixons deal looks very good. Anyone had dealings with Dixons where you had to take something back?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Cabasse launches limited edition Pearl Pelegrina speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 22nd September 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative introduces Sound Blaster Katana V2 soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audeze introduces reference LCD-5 planar magnetic headphones