Panny PX60 arrived today, 2 hours later it was up and running

davidwatsonok

Prominent Member
Reaction score
QUICK LINK TO NEWEST PICS

The old Sony KV32FQ75 at 8am....

sony.jpg

....Panasonic TH50PX60....delivered at 3pm and up and running by 5....

pana.jpg

Plan to make a surround to tidy it all up and conceal the cables later, something like...

PIC_0005_led.jpg

Sorry for the ropey PS work, not much time.

Thanks to PaulD for the heads up on the superb price and deal :thumbsup:

Last edited:
What a change, that's one hugely impressive screen and those speakers look loud.

said it before and I'll say it again......Loving that speaker stand :D

Nice work :smashin:

I just only just and very reluctancly replaced my KV32 with a Plasma, how do you find the PQ compares on SD?

Adam

I just only just and very reluctancly replaced my KV32 with a Plasma, how do you find the PQ compares on SD?

Adam

I had a quick go at taking some screenshots to visualise the differences between my old (and excellent) KV32FQ75 and the new plasma. Same settings on the camera every time, same settings when cropping and resizing in PS and as near as I could the same scene. The same DVD player was used, which will favour the CRT more, as the PDP would seriously benefit from an upscaling HDMI PAL progressive player, or even better an HD source. Obviously there would be no point using any better source for the CRT. Also, the PDP is still on it's running in settings, with colour, contrast and brightness below 40%, Sharpness fully off and all filters (noise reduction, comb etc) turned off.

CRT

Sony_LOTR_3.jpg

PDP

Pana_LOTR_3.jpg

CRT

Sony_LOTR_3_Detail.jpg

PDP

Pana_LOTR_3_Detail.jpg

CRT

Sony_LOTR_1.jpg

PDP

Pana_LOTR_1.jpg

CRT

Sony_LOTR_1_Detail.jpg

PDP

Pana_LOTR_1_Detail.jpg

Great pics.. you can see the difference..

Screenshots are great, have put a link in another thread on the plasma forum where a member with a CRT is worried about flatscreen black level ;)

It's got me itching for an HDMI upscaling PAL progressive player now :devil: How much better will it be then :confused:

Depends how much you want to spend !!

It comes down to wether the de-interlacing and scaling of the TV is better than the DVD player.

I'm thinking of maybe a Sony 860 or Panasonic EX85 DVD-R/HDD/Freeview to replace my old Pioneer 656A, as well as ditching NTL and retiring the old S-VHS recorder. I'm getting old and tired of all the wires and boxes and am drawn to the one box solution these offer. They both seem to get good reviews for PQ and features but I am in a dilemma over the Pana being known as unreliable and hating Sony with a passion (love the products, hate the corporation). Later I will add a HD source, but I'll wait until the format war levels out and we either have a clear winner or combo player/recorders. I may also consider an Astra system for some HD programming.

ha ha the good old Sony KV32FQ75 - one of sony`s better tv :) i still have mine , changing next year to plasma or Lcd

Funnily enough, I'm changing up from a Sony KV32CS70 to the Panny TH50PX60 this Xmas :) Bought it yesterday from John Lewis; having it delivered on the 28th.

I love how the shot of your FQ75 is taken slightly closer up, meaning the size difference is actually even more extreme :D

Oh wow, thats a really great comparison. CRT is so the technology to have, and that last PDP picture is the killer image. Why have we paid so much for our panels when we get blocking and artifacting like that...yuck.

:smashin:
Oh wow, thats a really great comparison. CRT is so the technology to have, and that last PDP picture is the killer image. Why have we paid so much for our panels when we get blocking and artifacting like that...yuck.

Well done for jumping into the flatpanel game :thumbsup:

Adding to Jumblemo's comment..

Got to agree with you there ,the plasma compared to the crt is just plain awful :thumbsdow ,look at all the makro blocking and artefacts that is a trully nasty image :( where as the crt screen although less pixels has a far superior image very clean indeed ,you could say it stomps all over the pany plasma :smashin: ,

tho i have to disagree with one of your comments about why we pay so much for new technology,it all depends on the panel and how it is calibrated,i jumped on the flatpanel scene 7 years ago,i have had 6 plasmas and 3 lcd's and about to purchase another,i currently have a tru HD 1080p sony x 2000 lcd ,that looks stunning with 1080p HD DVD and sky HD thats why we buy them ,after all there not HD READY for nothing thats the whole point in owning a huge flat panel otherwise pointless imho just to use it for SD,i mean they can look good with SD depending on the bit rate of the chanel & can look poor,but you would not notice this so much with a smaller crt :rolleyes:
But like i said the aim of these tv's is for HD so we cant complain too much about there standard def capabilities,or can we :devil:

TBH, the flaws in the PDP shots I believe are caused more by interaction with the digital camera. When viewing with the naked eye I can see none of the blocking and artefact. I am more than impressed with the screen so far and am eager to feed it some HD or well upscaled SD material. Although the panel currently upscales my SD DVD's, it does so from an analogue feed. When I add an HDMI upscaling player I hope to see another quality jump, by supplying either 576p for the PX60 to upscale, or 720p from the upscaling player, but via the digital HDMI feed. It can't do the signal any good being converted to analogue, then back to digital for upscaling.

Corradoboy off of SN?

Anyway, looking good, mate.

I posted some pics a while back when I upgraded my 32" CRT to a 50" plasma. At that time the same DVD player fed both, via scart for the CRT and component for the plasma. I've now upgraded the old DVD player for an upscaling HDMI DVD-R/HDD/FV Sony RDR-HXD970, so, here's the pics for further analysis.

Same images used from R1 LOTR FOTR & ROTK. T

Sony KV32FQ75 fed Pioneer DVD656A via RGB scart

Sony_LOTR_1.jpg

Panasonic TH50PX60 fed with Pioneer DVD656A via component

Pana_LOTR_1.jpg

Panasonic TH50PX60 fed with Sony RDR-HXD970 via HDMI @ 720p - he camera has changed from a 5mp compact to a Canon 350D hence the hue change and slight overexposure.

HDMI_2.jpg

CRT detail

Sony_LOTR_1_Detail.jpg

Pana component detail

Pana_LOTR_1_Detail.jpg

Pana HDMI detail

HDMI_detail_1.jpg

Different image.....

Sony CRT

Sony_LOTR_3.jpg

Pana component

Pana_LOTR_3.jpg

Pana HDMI

HDMI_1.jpg

Sony detail

Sony_LOTR_3_Detail.jpg

Pana component detail

Pana_LOTR_3_Detail.jpg

Pana HDMI detail

HDMI_detail_2.jpg

Discuss....

Hmmm, no offense, but in the age of high def, this isn't really going to impress anyone! Tech moves so quickly that people are already starting to mock people who still buy DVDs - I saw a thread about this yesterday :eek:

You need to watch some Blu Rays mate :smashin:

I'm not out to impress, just have a reasoned and informed discussion over the tech I currently have and how it is evolving. I will no doubt fairly soon embrace BluRay as I was waiting for the outcome of the format war and hopefully a solution to the region restrictions enforced upon us. I shall add pics of that for comparison too, when LOTR is available and I have the equipment. As for people mocking those whom haven't bought certain equipment, THAT is offensive, and spectacularly sad IMHO.

*UPDATE*

Took a couple of new ones of mine. I'll do some of the whole room after we've laid the new oak floor and opened up the wall to the dining room with glass doors. The rest of the room is a mess right now as we store stuff in readiness, but here's my current install....

Soft lighting...

softlight.jpg

Dark movie lighting....

lightsoff.jpg

With harsh flash to show the detail....

flash.jpg

Different colours from the LED's....

colours.jpg

I've still not added Bluray, but it's on the list. I'll probably go for a PS3, but also need a new amp (Yam RXV1800) for the new audio formats and with the building work and associated redecorating, along with a suggested new kitchen :mad: they'll have to wait for now.

thanks for the pics. it's great to see the evolution of the pic quality.:smashin: keep us updated.:D

Nice set up.

Can someone tell me where you get the panels from for behind the tvs. Look like Walnut to me.

Can you buy purpose made panels, or just get a peice of wood and cut it. If so, how do you get a clean cut?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom