panny pwd8 v panny phd8

C

carnehill28

Hello all
I have a panny pwd6 and have an opportunity to sell it for a good price and use the cash to get either the phd 8 model which is going to cost me about 2500 sterling or I can get the pwd8 for about 650 sterling cheaper. Can somebody who knows a bit more than I do please offer some advice as to what would be the best deal. If the phd8 is the best choice then so be it but a bit of help from you guys would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

The PHD8 is the one to go for if you can afford it. Superb picture on both standard definition and high definition material. The PWD8 is very good but the PHD8 is just even better.

the pwd6 you already own is likely to be better than the pwd8.

pwd8s are built far cheaper.

Piers said:
The PHD8 is the one to go for if you can afford it. Superb picture on both standard definition and high definition material. The PWD8 is very good but the PHD8 is just even better.

Any further review on the PHD8 yet Piers? I know you've been looking in to getting it to do native res, but have you had a chance to stop, look and appreciate the image you ARE getting yet? ;)

Yes, after 3 days of viewing rather than messing about with trying to get native rate to work I can honestly say that this is the best 42" plasma display that I have yet seen. RGB through a RGB to VGA converter is looking very, very good. Sky + with an SDI mod via a Lumagen HDP and outputting 720p into the DVI is devastatingly good and high def from a Quali receiver even better still. The only other plasma that is in the same league, that I have seen, is the Fujitsu 50".

The one downer is that the PHD8 appears to have a cooling fan that runs all the time and with my amp muted I can (just) hear it from 12 feet away.

Zero sign of image retention, despite deliberately trying to provoke it! No white line, no black level shifting. Out of the box it was way off 6500 K on all colour temp settings, after calibration it is spot on.

Excellent! (Phew)

Bit surprised by your comment on the fan, I'm sure I recall that American review someone linked to suggesting it was fanless... by the sounds of it though it shouldn't be much of an issue.

How many hours would you suggest I leave it before getting it calibrated?

So your fan runs all the time? The 7 series starts with a whizz of the fan then is silent. BTW where was yours from Piers, mine still not on the scene, and no date, Panny GB say they have none, is it a euro import???

My 7 started with a whoosh then was silent. The 8 seems to run continuously and the whoosh has gone! Joe supplied my panel :)

theo,

Give it 100 hours before having it calibrated - I would have no worries about doing it on day 1 (from the point of view of image retention, phosphor change etc) but in the unlikely event of your getting a faulty panel then that will probably show up in the first 100 hours.

pjclark1 said:
the pwd6 you already own is likely to be better than the pwd8.

pwd8s are built far cheaper.

Thanks for all the expertise. The cheapest quote I could get for the HD8 IS 2350 STERLING. This includes pedestal stand scart input board and delivery to Ireland. The pw8 has all of the above but total cost would be 1699 sterling. Going on what Piers is saying it would be a better investment to pay the extra for the PHD 8. Is this the case is there really 1200 euros worth of a diff between the two? By the way if anybody knows of a cheaper quote then please do tell

Is high def going to be important as far as you are concerned?

Hi Piers

well I will be getting hi-def when sky brings it out next year but at the moment I watch my dvds through component on an arcam dv 78 and the pic is superb. Standard sky through the sky plus box is excellent also. Its very confusing.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom