1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny PWD6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mickyiz29, May 2, 2005.

1. mickyiz29

mickyiz29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there anyway in the future to make this screen HDTV Compatable , I.E. with a scaler or something or is it gonna be a case of buying a new screen in the future ? Hopefully there is a way as i love this panel , PQ is Excellent and looks great on the wall .
    Many thanks .

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    it only has 852 x480 resolution but adding a Scaler Iscan HD+ or Lumagen DVi wil make it capable or displaying all HD signals, downscaled (will need a DVi card) so when HD comes knocking spend £1k on ascaler and bits.....(infact a scaler will greatly improve perfoimance from NOW as the panel is best fed 720p video anyways, I prefer RGBHV analogue myself) then when HD panels drop to silly money PHD8 etc in 12-18 months pick one up and you will have teh infrastructure to get the very best out of it................

3. mickyiz29

mickyiz29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the fast reply Hornydragon , What would you reccomend getting for this panel then , don't really understand the "downscaling" part ,sorry for being a noob, had some really good advice from you guys though currently set up with the js scart > VGA converter and find it an excellent alternative to buying additional boards , anyway if you could let me know pretty much exactly what i would need so i can research it and glean some more info from you guys that would be great .
    Thanks again :)

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    replace the JS box with either an Iscan HD/HD+ or Lumagen DVi, connect to VGA termainal and have it all ISF'd and you will be grinning from ear to ear and laughing at the PQ of the "HD ready" sets in currys and round mates houses................. could do with more info on what you connect (what you own) and where you are....

5. mickyiz29

mickyiz29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D Sounds Great !! :D At the moment have connected a Telewest STB , DVD Player and PS2 , all go into a Scart box which then runs to the VGA converter then VGA to the panel , audio is all connected seprately to a technics amp . I'm in Liverpool .
    Thank You Sir . :thumbsup:

6. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    If you follow HD's advice and get a Lumagen DVI then all your sources can be connected to the Lumagen, processed and output either in analogue or digital (for which you will need to get a DVI board for the PWD6). I had this set-up running for a while on a PWD4 and to0 be honest there was precious little difference between the DVI input and analogue.

"Downscaling" is the process of converting the signal coming out of the scaler (say 720p) to the resolution of the panel, which is 852 x 480.

7. mickyiz29

mickyiz29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that piers :) So am i right in thinking that the higher the resolution of the panel the better the picture will be , with or without a scaler ?

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Piers is the man in the "know" and the area...........I would suggest you connect STB via RGB+S DVD player by component if possible, S-video if not and PS2 via component/S-video (not sure if i would put the PS2 through the scaler or not, some peole find it intorduces too much delay in the action) so can connect it either via scaler or Direct to a component input board +£85 But i would urge you to add ISF calibration to the deal as scalers are complex beasts to set-up and to get the very best need to be matched to the panel using special measuremnt tools and software that costs both arms and legs! have a look here for more info www.homecinemaengineering.com (piers website)

9. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Usually but not always :D

There can be cases where a really good standard def panel looks better than a poor high def one.

10. cboy

cboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    piers any chance of that demo of the lumagen soon since u forgot the remote when u isf'd my panel?.:p

11. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Sorry for the delay in doing the Lumagen demo. Keep hoping for another ISF job in your neck of the woods but all have been other side of the country . Next week is a possibility.

12. mickyiz29

mickyiz29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys, Great website Piers , may be in touch shortly for a quote.
    Thanks Again :)