1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny PWD6 Vs Hitachi 42PD5200

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MD_London, Sep 12, 2004.

1. MD_London

MD_London
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering if anyone could help me with a decision on which to buy...

PWD6 £1700 Richer Sounds
    42PD5200 £2300 Empiredirect

I will be buying a home cinema system at the same time so sound quality is not an issue

Will be watching Sky 90% of the time so has to be as close to CRT as possible

Does anyone know of a showroom in the north London or West End which has the panny on display?...as none of the RS shops has the PWD6 on display and I would love to see a comparison?

Thanks guys

2. ReHaBWales

ReHaBWales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I went for the PWD6 from Richers.
    I was not even considering a ALiS panel Like the Hitachi but some people them.

3. leedavies

leedavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Anything wrong with ALIS ?

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Well apart from Alis technology being designed for static commercial displays, its an interlaced panel so it re-interlaces any signal that you may or may not have spent loads of money on equipment to deinterlace the signal in the first place. ie progressive scan DVD players, scalers and possible future recommended European progressive HD formats.

-Ian

5. MD_London

MD_London
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why do all the magazines rave about the hitachi....I'm more confused then ever

Anyone suggest a good plasma for watching Sky for under £2500?

6. ahh

ahh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the PWD6 and am very happy with the results. The picture is absolutely brilliant via the DVD and very good from most of the Sky channels. Some sky channels do suffer, but overall an excellent screen.

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Hitachi have a BIG advertising budget. Poor reviews = no more ads in your mag.

PS
    No stock at Richer Sounds, none in warehouse, no more expected.

8. MD_London

MD_London
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    damn.....maybe I should go for the viera......

bloomin confused!!!

9. alfieginger

alfieginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so do all ALiS panels interlace then ?

I'm also trying to decide between the hitachi and Panny. One aspect of plasmas that puts me of is the colour banding - I would have expected this to be less evident on the Hitachi than the Panny as the 5200 is a high def panel - is it not that straight forward then ?

All I'm looking for is excellent results from DVD, and decent results from free-view.

would I be better of with the Panny than the Hitachi then ? is the resolution thing a red herring at the moment ?

10. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    all about Alis, and why not to get it.
    ALiS stands for Alternate Lighting of Surfaces. It is a way to increase vertical screen resolution on a plasma display while maintaining brightness (by allowing bigger pixels) and keeping number of components and therefore costs down.

Existing Alis screens have 1024X1024 discrete pixels but they are addressed in an interlaced manner so every 60th of a second all pixels on the odd rows get addressed followed in the next 60th of a second by the pixels in all the even rows. As was mentioned, this is an interlaced method of display but is still better than CRT direct view as in CRT the electron beam has to scan lines one by one. With ALiS all odd lines are lit simultaneously then all even lines are lit simultaneously.

How this is done is that the odd and even rows share electrodes. In non ALiS displays each row of pixels has a dedicated pair of electrodes so that every row can be addressed simultaneously to produce a progressive display.

With ALiS, the bottom electrode of a row of pixels would also be the top electrode of the next row and so on. What this means in practice is that a row of pixels cannot be lit at the same time as the row next to it because the shared electrode can only be used for one of the two adjacent rows. Hence the interlaced nature of this display.

The following list describes how different sources are displayed with ALiS
    720p: each field downconverted to 512 rows
    480p: each field is slightly upconverted to 512 rows
    480i: each field is upconverted to 512 rows,
    1080i: each field is cut (not downconverted) from 540 to 512 rows [/list] 720p is displayed in 1024 by 512 *resolution* spread over 1024 rows of pixels.

So the 1024 by 1024 is "used" to display a 1024x512 - resolution image. For progressive sources the resolution that you actually see is 1024X512. 1080i is displayed in its native vertical resolution over 1024x1024 pixels. Each field that comes in is shown on its own 1024 x 512 interlaced pixels.

ALiS is supposed to be perfect for a 1080i source as the vertical resolution nearly matches up. You simply lose a few rows top and bottom instead of having the image vertically scaled so there are also no scaling issues. Plus the source is interlaced anyway. In practice though this does not seem to bear out.

There are a number of posts about the Fujitsu 852X480 progressive vs. Hitachi 1024 x 1024 (ALiS) and most people observe that HD or other images were noticeably better on the non ALiS panel which lists for much less. This could be the result of better black levels on the Fujitsu or different scaling requirements but it is highly recommended that you compare yourself before buying an AliS 1024X1024 panel as most people prefer the 852X480 panels. The only people that really prefer the AliS panels are those that can see the pixel structure on the 852X480 panels.

11. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Excellent description. I will add my bit in that I can pick an AliS panel out from others as it is the one that looks like you are viewing it through a pair of 10 dernier stockings.

12. MD_London

MD_London
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I saw the Hitachi Alis screen it looked pretty good. The panny viera also looked good and both looked excellent whilst watching a dvd (finding nemo)

13. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Unless its a real duffer, everything should look excellent when viewing Finding Nemo which is why so many people demo their displays using it. Same was formally true with Monsters Inc that also had a dynamic sound track for showing off surround sound. You want to try something hard, lots of high contrast, subtle contrast such as skin tones and dark blacks. Animated films really do not stress a display nearly enough to differentiate a poor display from a good display from and excellent display.

When i was demoing for my purchase, I used LOTR, Star Trek (NTSC version) and DVE. Quite often, LOTR on its own was enough to put me off a display.

-Ian

14. MD_London

MD_London
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tend to watch more TV then DVD's.....will plasma's ever be as good as a CRT for watching regular TV?

I really want to wall mount the screen which is why I wanted a plasma instead of a CRT

15. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I found that out on Sunday as I was going to order one from them, ordered one from av sales instead, £150 more but you do get a free terminal board which saves you quite a bit and you can get cheaper accessories through the avforums special link. too

http://www.av-sales.com/plasma/html/av_forums_42pwd6_offer.html

Cheers

Chris

16. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Originally, I had a Hitachi PD3000 which, to my eyes at the time, was at least as good as the Panny series 5 which is why I bought it.

I've currently got a Hitachi 5300 (replacement for the 3000)- same screen as the 5200 and, properly setup, the picture quality is stunning. The fact that it's an ALIS panel makes very little difference (so far as I can tell) in the real world - blacks aren't quite as good as the Panny but apart from that, there is very little between them.

I'd certainly agree with ian64 in that computer generated stuff like Nemo, Monsters Inc, et al always looks fantastic so make sure you get to see them running something else.

I wouldn't buy either without seeing them though.

John

17. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    thudspud
    When is your PW6 arriving (I ordered Monday, ETA Thursday)
    I have not seen one ever and am buying purely cos MAW says they are good.

18. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I ordered Sunday night and asked them to deliver Thursday as it is my only day at home. I too have never seen one and am purely going on reviews and lots of other people recommendations, bit of a silly thing to do on an item that value mind but I am sure it will be fine :D

19. alfieginger

alfieginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so on the subject of banding, will the Hitachi perform better than the PW6 ? I can't dem either the PW6 or the 5200 locally. I've seen the Yamaha screen which is a clone of the 5200 and the picture quality looked excellent from DVD. I've also seen a short clip of LOTR on the 5300 (which I believe is very similar to the 5200) and this also looked excellent. Reading between the lines of previous posts, would I get better results from the PW6 using current technology - ie forgeting hi-def stuff for the time being.

To my mind the 5200 seems good value at just under £2,300 compared to £1850+ for the PW6 because of its built in conectivity, potential to cope with HDTV, Hi Def DVD etc in the future.

Has anyone gone for the PW6 over the 5200 for reasons other than cost, ie because it gives a better image ??

I need to make a decision in the next couple of days as my carpets are going in next week and I need to sort out all my wiring etc !!

20. MD_London

MD_London
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks alfieginger. I hope someone can help us as I also need to start sorting out the wiring before I start plastering...oh and order the screen ;)

21. kheldar

kheldar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

22. alfieginger

alfieginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    had to make a decision, gone with the Panny! Spoke to Andrew at AVSales, excellent advice looking forward to delivery on Friday.

Really thought I was going to go Hitachi, but Advocacy is a great thing - so if the Panny is good enough for a Plasma salesman to have on his own wall it's good enough for me.

Not the best was to make decisions but more sensible than tossing a coin !!!

23. famyuk

famyuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK. Sometime has passed since the last thread but how about "hypothetically" you had a choice between a

Hitachi 42PD5200H (720p@50hz supossedly) - £1250 - brand new
    or
    Panasonic PW6 + Tuner + wall - for £1000 - 2nd hand hardly used

which would YOU go for?!!!

(bearing in mind that the pana tuner can be resold for about £200 on ebay...)

24. anpictum

anpictum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi, where did you find the 42PD5200H for £1250-cheapest I've found it is £1600